60lbs in 6 months realistic?

Options
Hey all!

I'm 243lbs (17.5st) and my ultimate goal weight is 140lbs (10st).

My aim is to lose 10lbs a month which would get me to 183lbs by the 31st of December 2011 and once this goal is reached I will continue on to my final goal. Had a few bad days this week but will be back on track Monday and will be incorporating brisk walking for an hour twice a week into my schedule along with Jillian Michaels dvds and Kinect games on rotation.

In all honesty are my goals realistic or am I setting myself up for a big failure?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Serene

I've also got PCOS which makes it a lil tricky & frustrating

Replies

• nmescalera
    nmescalera Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think you can do it... You just need to push yourself and make sure you dont slack. I've lost almost 10 and its not the end of the month yet. want to hit 10 before the end of the month....Hopefully!! lol Good Luck
  • TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say failure, but it is going to be tough. That is about 3 lbs. a week... leaving you little room for error. You will have to eat perfect and work out a lot! They recommend loosing 1 lb. a week (they say that is the healthiest) I would say 2 lbs. would be the limit. At first, if you follow through, you weight should come off pretty quick.. but as you loose more, you will find it tougher.
  • _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    2.5 a week is really pushing it. You wont be giving your skin time to recover either.
  • judijl
    judijl Posts: 13
    Options
    60 is a lot to lose in only 6 months. The first 30 may come off quickly, but the last are harder. Try not to be too hard on yourself if you dont make the 10 lbs. a month. 40 in 6 months is still a great start :o) just dont give up!
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    Read Expectations by banks1850 on the message board under motivation and support very interesting!!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but I think it'll be difficult. You may lose the monthly target the first couple of months, but it will get progressively more difficult.

I personally would set the same amount of weight to lose, but put it at a longer timeframe. Maybe an additional two months - if you plateau and your weight loss slows down or stops, it may cause unnecessary stress. Rather set a less aggressive target and celebrate if you achieve it sooner than you expected than set a target which may be very difficult to achieve.
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're not best to set shorter, monthly goals....that you can adjust as you see what's working for you?
    Then if you have a goal that you don't meet, it will be a little one, not a "failure". Just a small goal to adjust.

Besides, while I do understand that you want results as fast as possible, does it really make a difference if the 60 pounds comes off in six or seven months? It doesn't. As long as it comes off!!! G
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    60 is a LOT to lose in 6 months....however, instead of putting a time scale on it, why not just have 60lbs as a TARGET to reach? This way what you will actually achieve is totally embracing a new lifestyle and not a false ideology of ' diet & exercise' as a ''tool''.the endpoint would be a whole new way of living rather than just gruelling work outs and battles of the mind as to what to eat and when.

Whilst it is achievable, 60 in 6 months is HARD...and yes, the lbs will melt off in the start, but it gets harder the more you lose...and the more care you need to take of your body and to allow it to rest,repair and even heal.

Drop the '6 months' but do embrace the 'drop 60lbs' :-)

good luck and keep your focus!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that it's a life style change more than a race. Be more obsessed with eating right than with some arbitrary weight loss goal.

I think you will find that even if you lose half that in 6 months you will be quite pleased and motivated to continue. Don't make it so arduous that you decide it's not worth it.

We all want the weight gone yesterday. Make a plan, stay the course, and adjust as you learn.
  • yuli23
    yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lost about 12 this month so far ...but I really had to push myself to workout everyday burning 750 cal a day 5 days a week .... I actually lost a little less at the start cause I was only doing 500 calories a day 4x a week ... but try to set monthly goals and don't give up if you are off by a few lbs .... challange yourself for 60 but know you might be off a few .... u get what u put in ....if u push yourself u can do it ...and when u have a bad day its okay just don't have bad days three times a week ...you can do it !!! But it is hard ....shoot for the moon and even if u don't make it at least ull reach the stars
  • SereneRose
    SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    This is why I love this site great responses peeps.

My main target is min 8lbs a month I'm just being a bit greedy and know it will be hard to lose 10 a month. I do see this as a life change and 60lbs is just a goal to spur me on just for this year as no matter what I will be continuing onto the 140lb mark.
    I am a lil disappointed its taking longer this time where last year I tried I lost a stone within a month and was eating worse.

Oh well. Keep up the great work all x
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I set myself mini goals of 7lb a month. If I make it, great. If I make it sooner, even better. Think S.M.A.R.T - google it.

Good luck.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I think it is realistic, but I agree with what most of the mfp folks are saying, it will be tough. You will have little room for error, but yes you can definitely do it. they say you can lose up to 2.5 pounds a week and be safe, but more than that wouldn't be a good thing to try. I wish you the best of luck though!