What is best for weight loss?

Options
Hi. I am 5'4" and female. I started out my weight loss 'journey' 6 weeks ago at 17 stones (238 lbs) and by tracking my calories I'm now down to 15 stoned 9 ( 219 lbs).

Fitness wise I feel as though I am quite weak and terribly unfit. I'm definitely not flexible and my coordination isn't great.

Despite all this I started out by walking to and from work 5 days a week, which takes me half an hour each way. I have also started going to fitness classes at a local gym. I've done circuits, Metafit, and boxfit. These classes nearly killed me and I had to modify almost every exercise down to my level.

What would people recommend in terms of the most effective fitness plan to help me lose weight and to increase my strength? Am I wasting my time doing these classes or will they help?

FYI running is out of the question for me-it is too much like torture for me! Also when it comes to the gym, I haven't got a clue about weights though I have used the resistance machines before.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to make the best use of my gym time and keep losing this weight.

Replies

• AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Keep going girl ! Weight loss i feel mainly comes down to your diet, staying within your calorie goal. Thats how ive lost 25 lbs so far. Don't waste your time with resistance machines, do exercises that target several muscle groups and burn more calories. Like squats , and jumping jacks. The fitness classes will help but, again weight loss mainly comes down to diet ! Exercise to feel good.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Just keep your eating in check and slowly build your fitness levels.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss. Cardio=heart health. Strength training while in a deficit=muscle retention.

Look up Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women and see if one of the trainers can work with you on proper form/what to do. Add in cardio you do like if you prefer, but first and foremost you have to make sure you're eating less than you burn.
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm doing well with the weight loss and I'm happy with my diet.

I guess I should rephrase my question......I want to increase my strength and fitness level. But currently I'm 219 lbs and really unfit. What should I be focusing on when I'm at the gym?
  • dorianneflores
    dorianneflores Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello. I lost 90 lbs in 15 month and never took a class or went to the gym. Just that same 30 minute walk and at home use to do 20 minutes of mix exercises like squats, situps, push ups ect. The most imeportant thing it's watching what you eat. I stop eating meat and dairy foods. It's been 4 years and aside from the 10 lbs that come and ho i been able to keep it off. Now i have does extra 10 and decide it to get more strick to lose 15. Starter weight was 246 I'm at 165 now. 80% diet 20% exercises don't forget that! Good luck. I'm in instagram as myhealthylifestylejourney best of luck!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    kelziemba wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm doing well with the weight loss and I'm happy with my diet.

I guess I should rephrase my question......I want to increase my strength and fitness level. But currently I'm 219 lbs and really unfit. What should I be focusing on when I'm at the gym?

Biking is easy on the joints and good for getting your body used to cardio, plus it works your leg muscles. Look up basic compound lifts if you want to get started with weights. SL 5x5 was mentioned and is good, but really at this point you just need to take it slow and light. Get used to things and feel comfortable.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Everything. You should put together a well-rounded exercise program. Spot-exercise leads to muscle imbalances and you definitely don't want that as it leads to other problems. Cardio, strength and flexibility. Keep up the classes, and don't diet. Understand how to eat properly now and forever and start doing it. Create a caloric deficit by eating the appropriate number and types of calories to meet your actual nutritional requirements and exercise to create the deficit. And don't expect the loss to happen overnight, but understand that a lot of good things are happening, if you can't see them. And know your numbers (in vs. out)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Since I am not sure how old you are but I started at 244lbs at 43 years old. Out of shape, weak, uncoordinated . . . been there done that. For me it was always important for me to do things that I knew I would more than likely continue doing and at the appropriate time for me I would try new things, etc. This mindset came from watching other almost kill themselves through a workout then be too sore to workout for weeks and never really get back into it. So my suggestion is to take your time, do what you like and work up to getting better at it. It will happen - one of the greatest things I discovered was that my body can do amazing things.

Some exercises that I hated (basically anything that required me to get on the floor) I would start slow and every other day I would increase the count and this was a way for me to not only see some great progress but also quiet that voice in my head that told me I couldn't do it.
  • Slay_Every_Day
    Slay_Every_Day Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congrats to u all, for ur great achievements. So happy for you.
    Girls if you want to know how to keep fit and how to go about it. U can follow these two girls on Facebook and Instagram
    Emily Skye (beginners workout and talks about lifting etc)
    Kayla itsines (she has pictures of gals transformation.

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I specifically came in here to see if anyone had told you to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women. MFP, I am disappoint.
  • kelziemba
    kelziemba Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. As I said my diet is healthy, I'm eating at a reasonable calorie deficit and losing weight well (19 lbs in 6 weeks). I want to do fitness for my overall health. I want to be stronger and more flexible. I want to be able to do full push ups or proper planking or unaided sit ups or balanced lunges. When I've lost all the fat I want there to be some relatively toned muscles underneath. I suppose I'm not comepletely and totally unfit as I'm walking to and from work daily with no problem whereas it used to kill me. I've been doing lighter aerobics for several weeks then added a boxfit circuits type class and now I've added another circuits and Metafit class. The Metafit is changing to Insanity live which scares me!!! I don't stop during the classes and I push myself as hard as I physically can so I know in the least I'm getting a good cardiovascular workout. The specific moves, especially ones that are up and down to the floor, I adjust to a version that I can do.

I just wonder how long it realistically takes before I will be able to do the proper moves? I'm going to stick at this and see. X