I'm Confused Need Big Help!!!!

Options
I'm 18 and obese. I'm 5"10 and weigh 205 pounds. I'm eating the right foods now but I need help on whether to do cardio or lift weights. I heard that lifting weights is better to loose fat and is it a good ideal to burn more than I eat??

Replies

• reneesmith88
    reneesmith88 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try a couple gyms and see if you wanna join and talk to a personal trainer. Meet with once is free at most places and gets you on the right track. That's what has been helping me.
  • OscarGallardo49
    OscarGallardo49 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I'll try that
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,028 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 and obese. I'm 5"10 and weigh 205 pounds. I'm eating the right foods now but I need help on whether to do cardio or lift weights. I heard that lifting weights is better to loose fat and is it a good ideal to burn more than I eat??

Good news. With a BMI of 29.4, you're still (just barely) overweight, not obese.

Also, if your goal is losing weight, how much you eat is far more important than eating "the right foods."

Cardio or weights? Do both. Cardio to burn calories, weights to retain muscle, which requires more calories to maintain than fat does, so when you're done, you'll look better than you would if lost more muscle with your fat, and your maintenance calories at goal weight will be slightly higher.

Finally, "is it a good idea to burn more than I eat??" You absolutely have to burn more than you eat to lose weight, but you burn calories all day, whether you're exercising or not. Don't try to burn more from "exercise" every day than you eat. If you can achieve it, it would be a very bad idea, leaving you with such a large daily deficit that you'll likely burn far more muscle for fuel than is necessary--which is the exact opposite of what you want to do (see "Cardio or weights" above).