binged already!

charl100
charl100 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 29 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi peeps,

feeling pretty angry at myself right now! I've only been on here 5 days and last night after a healthy tea of tuna salad sat there and ate a whole packet of maryland cookies ( approx 15 biscuit sized cookies) with a cup of tea to myself! Argh! its like most of the time I'm fine, i can rationalise away the urge to sit and eat rubbish but then the sugar craving hits and its like, oh it'll be just this once, eat the cookies. I need to brake the cycle else I'll just be on the borderline of never being quite happy with my body for the rest of the time i have it! very frustrated with my own lack of will power - any distraction tips?!

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    I personally go for a diet coke... I know this is not the perfect food at all, but the gas just fills your stomach, and it contains no sugar... So I can survive until a proper meal.

However, this does not happen too much when you are well into your new lifestyle/diet.
    It could be because you're so new to the thing that your body is crying for more sugar... But as you get used to it, it might happen less and less.

Last tip I use, when I buy something stupid (like biscuits or something really sweet) I usually have only one or two then bin the whole pack... It breaks my heart every time, but helps me mentally to not buy them next time (what's the point since I am going to have one or two then bin it).
  • pamfin
    pamfin Posts: 169 Member
    The thing that's helped me is keeping my diary public and logging everything. When I'm tempted I think of my MFP friends reading it and shaking their heads (I'm sure they wouldn't but it helps me).

I'm aware of my trigger foods - i.e. I can eat a whole pack of biscuits if I'm dunking them in coffee so I don't drink coffee when I have biscuits in the house. If that fails, I make myself have a large glass of water and leave the room with the nice food in. Cleaning your teeth is also supposed to help because everything tastes revolting on top of minty toothpaste.

Don't let it ruin what you've started, just put it behind you and move on.
  • Don't be too discouraged. Tomorrow is another day. You've been 'good' for 4 out of 5 days, right? Keep going. You may have the odd day you make a mistake but it's the big picture that will get you there. Over time you'll probably find your desire for such foodstuffs diminishes anyway (or that is my experience).
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Don't be too discouraged. Tomorrow is another day. You've been 'good' for 4 out of 5 days, right? Keep going. You may have the odd day you make a mistake but it's the big picture that will get you there. Over time you'll probably find your desire for such foodstuffs diminishes anyway (or that is my experience).
    This is so right.

You're making a lifestyle change. It'll take time to settle in. I was like you back in January this year. I had to clear the house of ALL temptations because I knew if I had it, I'd probably eat it.

Now I'm settled into my new eating and exercising plan and it's much easier. Do I still have off days? Sure I do. The important thing is that I now see them for what they are. Temporary blips in an otherwise well-planned project. I get back on track and carry on. That's what you will do too.

Feel free to add me as a friend. :flowerforyou:
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Bingeing is something I've been battling for years. At the moment I'm being very good and haven't done it for about a month, and it's a combination of having such a terrible month of bingeing daily I became so sick of myself, I got in the right mindset, a 'diet' where I'm never hungry and the same diet that cuts out sugar/carbs, which are triggers for me. The diet will reintroduce them, but it's actually really liberating and freeing KNOWING I can't have it. So I hope it'll break my habit of mindless eating, my sugar dependency, and what it DOES help with is thinking about whether I'm hungry - who wants to overeat on chicken?! Or cottage cheese? When you know it's that or nothing, even I pick nothing as I'm not really hungry. But when I genuinely am hungry, then the protein works. If you want more info on it, add me and/or get the Dukan Diet. It's very high protein, low fat/carb so it'll undoubtedly get bad press from some, but for me and my issues, it's good for now.

And of course I haven't drunk alcohol in this time either - empty calories and low willpower, so that's helped!
  • zalla
    zalla Posts: 6
    dont beat yourself up over it,putting too much pressure on your self only makes you more likely to slip up again in the future. try snacking on fruit or low fat yoghurt or buying from the weight watchers or tesco's lighter choices snack and desert range the portions tend to be small and low enough in fat/calories to not do too much damage to your diet yet still sate the sugar cravings...another thing that works for me is making fruit smoothies to sip while i watch tv as a replacement for the bar of chocolate i used to have pre-diet.
  • street600
    street600 Posts: 1
    I tend to get the sweet craving too, and now seem to have managed to bang it on the head. I don't buy any sweet things in my weekly shop unless they are individually wrapped so I can monitor the calories so that there is nothing at home to temp me - don't torture yourselves by having things n the house!

I tend to get my boyfriend sweet snacks and desserts that I'm not keen on so it doesn't torture me when he's tucking away.

If you want something to plug the sweet gap then Diet coke has already been suggested and I agree this is a good one, as your body is just asking for a sweet taste rather then actually being hungry so this usually hits the spot.

if you are not a diet coke fan, try a peice of fruity bubble gum after your meal - it works for me! I also find a small glass of red wine after my meal stops me sniffing round for dessert.

Hope those ideas helps anyway!
  • charl100
    charl100 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks everyone!

the response so quickly is quite overwhelming, its amazing to know there always support from someone when i need it. I will defo try the diet coke and the gum ideas! i just need to give it time i guess and not give up so easily. I went for a run this morning so hopefully that will help!

thanks again
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Ultimately you just have to make a choice. Look good or eat like a pig and look like one. All of us here have to make that decision. I wear a jean size now i haven't been able to fit in since the mid 80's. I like it and i eat everything i've always eaten. I've not given a single food up although i do restrict certain food that has no nutritional value like candy, cookies, pastries. I eat them occasionally but very rarely. A simple thought. When you look at what your about to eat, ask yourself what nutritional benefit will eating whatever your looking at provide your body. That makes food choices become very simple. Best of Luck!
This discussion has been closed.