Not able to work out

Options
PamLivin
PamLivin Posts: 15 Member
I am going to start walking in the hall for 30 mins a day. Right now can't do much more but it is a start. It is not my weight stopping me it is my bones. A little at a time.

Replies

• jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's all we can do. The best thing is that you start.you know the saying journey starts with but one step and since you made the dicision to to that then it will work out.it is so hard to start anything new when it comes to change and our health.Good for you!!! Proud of you
  • wildone_18
    wildone_18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have bad arthritis and struggle just to walk so going to the gym and long walks are out. It makes it much harder to lose weight when you can't exercise much. I'm about to start a rehab program for deconditioning so hopefully the exercises and the pool will help me lose more weight too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about the calorie deficit, so don't worry if you cant do much exercise right now.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere! Walking is a great way to start getting into exercise. Do what you can, and gradually increase either speed or distance (or both!) as you can. Make sure you're diligent with weighing foods and eating below your calorie goal if you can't exercise. Like a PP said, it's all about the calorie deficit which you can do without exercising.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    weight loss is all about the calorie deficit, so don't worry if you cant do much exercise right now.

This. I didn't exercise at all during the weight loss phase, lost 50ish pounds no problem :)
  • lowderglenna
    lowderglenna Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am limited on what exercises I can do. I have been walking and watching my calorie intake. So far I'm doing good. Stay with the walking. Its the first step.
  • pachyfish746
    pachyfish746 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ReaderGirl3, I felt so much better after reading your post. I'm am So limited re exercising properly. I'd like to know When one begins to lose weight. I've been faithful to the MFP program for my allowances, but was deflated (mentally only!) to weigh yesterday on day 6 and I've lost nothing!!! Is this one of those "everybody's different" scenarios? I was really expecting something!! Anybody.....?
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much about exercise. Yes of course it's good for us, healthy, can up the metabolism etc but it's not the be all end all of weight loss. I lost a significant amount of weight while pretty much housebound - yes I had to take in less calories than if I had been active - but the point is you CAN still do it successfully. :) Any movement is some movement, and I have seen an experiment where people compared 2 families.. one did housework, the others a the gym. Both burned almost equal amounts... so any moving is good even if it just pottering around the house!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    ReaderGirl3, I felt so much better after reading your post. I'm am So limited re exercising properly. I'd like to know When one begins to lose weight. I've been faithful to the MFP program for my allowances, but was deflated (mentally only!) to weigh yesterday on day 6 and I've lost nothing!!! Is this one of those "everybody's different" scenarios? I was really expecting something!! Anybody.....?

If you are eating under your metabolic rate (for just being alive) there's no reason you wouldn't lose a little...even if it's small. Are you logging everything in correctly.. some of the foods listed aren't always completely correct calorie wise. But relax, it's only been a week.. if you aren't able to be active it could just take a little longer for any results to show.
  • Beastie1982
    Beastie1982 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PamLivin wrote: »
    I am going to start walking in the hall for 30 mins a day. Right now can't do much more but it is a start. It is not my weight stopping me it is my bones. A little at a time.

Way to go! Small changes gives big results :smile:
  • Beastie1982
    Beastie1982 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Even if you didn't lose doesn't mean that is no change in your body. Sometimes scale shows same number but you shirt fit much better then week ago. Stay on track and you will see change not only on your scale but in mirror too.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Do what you can. The cool thing about learning nutrition is that you can eat the right amount and not gain fat even during the times that exercise can't be done. You can even still lose weight if you need to. It's all about the calorie deficit for fat loss and being patient over time, sometimes 6 weeks with no change. Fat loss happens randomly in chunks over time and most of the fluctuations are water weight. If after 6 weeks and there is no loss then it's not really a deficit and you need to look more closely at the calorie estimates.

Also if you eat too low for too long your metabolism will slow down. The slow slightly higher deficit works best and eating up to normal maintenance at least one day a week will help keep your hormones more stable for fat loss.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Right there with you, I have a herniated disk in my back so besides walking a little and swimming a little, it's all about the calorie deficit! My aunt lost 60 lbs on weight watchers and didn't exercise a bit (she had 2 hip surgeries during that time) it definitely can be done. Weigh as much of your food as possible on a scale. That really is the best advice I've found on MFP. At first it feels labor intensive but it gets easier. Hang in there!