Please help! Plateau

Options
Hey guys!

So I've been stressing out big time and was hoping someone might have som insight.

So I have lost 30 pounds since January and since April started I haven't lost anything!

I haven't been eating more than I'm supposed to. I haven't stopped exercising. BUT my exercise has changed. Instead of Turbofire I've been jogging and Walking. It's gotten so nice in my town I don't want to be inside to work out.

The other thing is MFP has upped my calories by 200 because I changed it from lose 2 pounds a week to 1 as I was STARVING on 1200 a day and was finding it hard to finish my workouts as I was so tired and had no energy despite eating my 1200 calories.

Anyways.... Could upping my calories by 200 and changing my workout cause me to sop losing?

I track every bite I take religiously and I have a Fitbit that tracks all my activity.... Yet I've been stuck at 141-140 for at least a month. :( And I always have calories remaining at the end of the day.

Any advice?? I'm so down on myself right now

Replies

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in a rut the last few weeks as well but I don't believe it's a plateau. That's different. Have you tried changing things up a bit in regards to food and exercise?
  • WeaselbeanzMum
    WeaselbeanzMum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, have you tried dropping breakfast (or eating it later) and exercising when you wake up? If you exercise on empty you'll burn any carbs left from the night before, but providing that's not excessive you'll then burn fat until you eat something. I'm only speaking from my own experience here, but I have found that to work for me - I normally wait at least an hour after exercise before eating anything. (It will ramp up your metabolism for the day too). Another thing I found that really works is intermittent fasting, but only ever a day or so a week. It shakes your metabolism up a bit. Just ideas for consideration anyway... :smile:
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you're logging accurately (and you seem to know what you're doing!), you should definitely be able to lose at 1400 (assuming you're not very, very short). You could be retaining water from eating more, though, or from changing up your exercise regimen.

Mostly, don't be down on yourself! This too shall pass. You've done amazing work so far, and you'll continue to lose weight as long as you continue to be dedicated to it! I was in a plateau in March--drove me crazy--but I kept going and have been right on track for April. Bodies are weird. Calories in < calories out will work eventually, but lots of things can slow it down.
  • heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

So I've been stressing out big time and was hoping someone might have som insight.

So I have lost 30 pounds since January and since April started I haven't lost anything!

I haven't been eating more than I'm supposed to. I haven't stopped exercising. BUT my exercise has changed. Instead of Turbofire I've been jogging and Walking. It's gotten so nice in my town I don't want to be inside to work out.

The other thing is MFP has upped my calories by 200 because I changed it from lose 2 pounds a week to 1 as I was STARVING on 1200 a day and was finding it hard to finish my workouts as I was so tired and had no energy despite eating my 1200 calories.

Anyways.... Could upping my calories by 200 and changing my workout cause me to sop losing?

I track every bite I take religiously and I have a Fitbit that tracks all my activity.... Yet I've been stuck at 141-140 for at least a month. :( And I always have calories remaining at the end of the day.

Any advice?? I'm so down on myself right now

You haven't been stuck for at least a month... April only started 13 days ago! Weight loss will ebb and flow- just keep at it. It's only been 13 days.

• shannon_daly3
    shannon_daly3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hey i am also in a plateau ! my weight has not moved sinced march 10 :( Lets motivate each other !! We can do this !
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm with you guys. My weight hasn't moved since April 1st. I log everything, I'm at 1740 calories a day. I walk just stuck in a rut. I was told I should increase by 100 calories for so or just switch things up food wise. Just not sure what it up.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    OP, two weeks without a loss is normal. Weight loss is not linear. Do you weigh your food with a food scale in grams? Are you logging accurately, as in matching the nutrition info in the diary to the packaging? Can you please open your diary? Weighing ALL foods and measuring all liquids. Also, an increase in calories can cause a temporary stall. Not a big deal. Stick to the 1lb per week goal and let your body catch up to the changes.
    Just a thought, have you tried dropping breakfast (or eating it later) and exercising when you wake up? If you exercise on empty you'll burn any carbs left from the night before, but providing that's not excessive you'll then burn fat until you eat something. I'm only speaking from my own experience here, but I have found that to work for me - I normally wait at least an hour after exercise before eating anything. (It will ramp up your metabolism for the day too). Another thing I found that really works is intermittent fasting, but only ever a day or so a week. It shakes your metabolism up a bit. Just ideas for consideration anyway... :smile:
    This isn't true. The only thing that matters for weight loss is eating less calories than your body burns in a day. CICO. Meal and exercise timing have absolutely no effect on weight loss..it's a myth, sorry.

• jerri_anderson
    jerri_anderson Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck since december :( always around 64kg im 5'2 so short and i cant seem to shift it. I mix up my exercises so its different and im watching what i eat. So annoyed i wanted to be 60kg by july my 29th bday and by then i would have lost 20kg since april 2014. Am i losing weight to slowly?
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    OP, how tall are you? Depending on your height, you might be close to a healthy weight/your goal, so things slow way down. There's less room for error in logging and achieving that calorie deficit.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I only read the title so this may be irrelevant but my advice to someone who's plateaued is to just stick with it. From Jan 1 to Feb 15 I lost 20 lbs then I plateaued I was stuck at 20 pounds lost until just last Friday when I finally lost a pound, that's almost 2 full months without gains or losses. Just stick with it.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    so increase the intensity of your walk/run. Do some interval work, some speed play. and/or carry a pack on your walk (like a 30 lb one)
  • xmaplegunmanx
    xmaplegunmanx Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I haven't lost anything since March 23rd so a little less than a month. Oops. Haha.

I do weigh everything. I don't eat a lot from a package other than treats. But I always double check that the calories are correct. Never thought to look at the other info as I don't particularly worry about the nutrition, just the calories.

I'm 5'3 and I'm happy with my legs/hips/butt but I have a gut. I had a c-section a year ago so I know it is stubborn but it drives me nuts that I can't get it down! I was 120-130 at my healthiest so My goal was 130. I think I'm so bummed because I'm only 10 pounds away!!! :P

I see that it appears to be normal so I'm trying to hold strong here!

Thanks for the tips!