Exercise off booze?

Options
I always hear people talk about alcohol being "empty calories," so does this mean I shouldn't burn them off in the gym? Would that put me in a calorie deficit situation? As I read it I feel like it's a stupid question, but one can never be too sure.

Replies

• psychodeli
    psychodeli Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Empty callorie means that it has no nutritional value...it will still make you fat as it counts as energy.
  • rpcpa
    rpcpa Posts: 2
    Options
    A gram of alcohol has 7 calories. When you drink your body turns of fat burning to focus on removing the alcohol from your system. As the last post indicated their is no nutritional value so you do not get the energy benefits associates with other foods. The more alcohol in your system the longer your body has to work to remove it the longer your body is not burning fat.
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    A gram of alcohol has 7 calories. When you drink your body turns of fat burning to focus on removing the alcohol from your system. As the last post indicated their is no nutritional value so you do not get the energy benefits associates with other foods. The more alcohol in your system the longer your body has to work to remove it the longer your body is not burning fat.

OK yes, I am aware that drinking can hinder me in my weight loss (alcohol is bad, mmmmkay). I am 26 and I think going out for some drinks on a Saturday night is not a wild stretch of the imagination. I am going to drink from time to time, hopefully in moderation. My question is not if it is bad for me, but if I should count it towards my net intake. Probably a silly question.
  • michelleion
    michelleion Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes it counts - it just won't give you any nutrients (maybe a few carbs but that'll be about it, no vitamins, protein or anything which you'd get from nutritious foods), hence the word 'empty', but will still give you energy - so you still have to factor in the calories to your day. This was my downfall in the past, and now I count every drink (yes I like to go out too - if you look in my diary for today you'll see I have put 6 vodka and cokes in there as my buffer!). Hope this helps!
  • MissInce26
    MissInce26 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes log the drinks you have into your calories hun I do a large glass of white wine is 160 calories and soon adds up so helps me drink in moderation!! But on the occasional party night out I drink far too much then feel ill next day n can't eat till the evening so balances out the calories lol x
  • Mahhafooznit
    Mahhafooznit Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind. Alcohol is a form of poison to the body. Body will focus on breaking down alcohol
    over food. Its important to try and avoid eating while you have alcohol in your system because that food will mostly
    just end up turning into fat. And when people drink they usually go for broke and get fatty deep fried foods or pizza or
    such. celery is basically empty calories. and water melon is mostly water. probably good for avoiding hangover.
    of course you have to have it ready in the fridge for when you get home as you may not be in a state to chop and cut.

Dont get super drunk where you make bad decisions on eating food. Try not to get so drunk that you have massive
    hangover because that will derail your workout efforts.
  • rpcpa
    rpcpa Posts: 2
    Options
    I always count it and I too consume. If you know it's coming (Sat night) try to get ahead of it by exercising earlier in the day.
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! Very helpful! I just had a nice breakfast and I'm heading to the gym in a little bit. The good news is that I rarely get the drunk munchies and even less so now that I'm logging everything every day. I hope everybody has a great (and safe) Saturday night!