Emotional Eating and Support

Options
Hi! I am new and I have the tenancy to emotionally eat in the aspect of binging. It makes losing weight very difficult, especially without support from people who understand the lows and understand that being told to "just stop eating" doesn't help. I'm just looking for buddies that get it.

Replies

• AliciaV30
    AliciaV30 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Totally get it I'm battling myself as I'm sitting here. Was actually about to make my own post about this. I need help. It sucks.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I have been guilty of the occasional binge, though I usually stop myself. Everyone's different, but for me the key was planning for the binge. If I know that I'm going to have an incredibly stressful day full of temptations, stress, and all kinds of emotional pain, I can do my best to prepare high-volume, low-calorie snacks. This way when I start stuffing my face it's no big deal. :)

The ideal solution, though, is to change the behavior. Instead of binging, do something else. A game I sometimes play with myself when I'm experiencing extreme phantom hunger is something I call "Anything Else." I know, consciously, that I do not need to eat, so I ask myself if I want anything--literally anything--else in the house, or if there's anything (not food) I've been wanting or needing. While I don't believe in retail therapy as a rule, the mere act of asking myself such a question encourages me to practice better self-care. I wouldn't want to binge if I felt cared for.

Sometimes I do buy a new novel or a new gym suit or sneakers. More often, I get in a warm bath with a favorite book, music and some low-calorie tea cakes, then do a little yoga and go to bed early. It doesn't matter what you do to stop the binge--"anything else" (as long as it doesn't harm you or others!) is perfectly acceptable. Asking yourself what you want is also a good gateway to understanding why you want to binge in the first place. (I have problems with my father that cut to the core of myself, for example. And that's just one of my really bad problems.)
  • HellyFaye
    HellyFaye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hate this part of myself. It is something I really wish I could change about myself. I'm working on changing what I binge on.
    Is it high in fiber? If it's high in fiber (like fruit or veggies) I might fill up quicker and that signal in my brain to stop eating - will hopefully go off faster. Is it easy to get a hold of when I'm upset?
    [*] How can I change what I have in my house and the places I frequent (food wise) to help get me to make healthier choices? If my comfort comes from celery and salsa instead of chips and queso, one is significantly better in calories than the other.
    [*] Identification of my triggers. What upsets me? What are some other methods of self care that I can employ that are not food related?
    [*] What can I do to relax myself? How can I do something small everyday, not food related, that helps to relax me after a busy day at work? There are multiple small ways to do this and make a habit of it.
    [*] Do I have someone (either via phone, text, or messaging of some kind) that I can contact when I feel like I'm going to binge? Find and build a support system.

I wish you the best of luck. I totally understand where the both of you are coming from. Feel free to add me. I struggle with this stupidity too.
    #thestuggleisreal

Faye
  • nektargirl
    nektargirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Best advice I ever got ... And the hardest thing Ive ever done ... Is to truly get in touch with my feelings. Own them. Live them. Feel them. Being vulnerable and imperfect, and to be ok with it, was the only way I found to not self medicate with food. There's another free app I've used that really helps you check in with yourself before you eat. It's for anyone who has emotional eating disorders -- called Rise Up + Recover. Highly recommend it.
  • MrsBeqari
    MrsBeqari Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I totally get it! But I think recognizing it is huge! I can realize now that I am stressed and my instinct is to grab something sweet. Doesn't always stop me from grabbing it