Caloric Needs

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just getting started with my weight loss journey and I'm curious to see how many calories I should be eating, as I have heard a pretty wide range from different people. I am 160 pounds 5'6 and looking to lose 2 pounds a week if possible. I'm fairly active going to the gym 3-5 times a week. My goal weight is 140 pounds. MFP tells me to eat 1,200 calories, but other sources have told me this is starvation and that I should be eating 1,660 in order to lose a pound a week. I'm willing to do what it takes but I'm confused which route is the right one to take. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• omima07
    omima07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What do you have your activity level at? If you have it set to sedentary it will give you a lot less calories to work with.
  • raaperry491
    raaperry491 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have it at lightly active at this point. If I move it to active it shows 1,660 calories/day. That's honestly a lot for me to eat since I'm focusing on whole foods and not junk...I worry that if I eat this much I will just end up gaining weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    You're barely overweight. You shouldn't be trying to lose two pounds a week. Dial your goal back to 1 pound a week.