Foods you never ate previously, but which are key for your weight loss

Options
For me, I never, ever used to eat the following:

Water. I honestly never really drunk water. Coke, Dr. Pepper, sugary coffee...terrible.
Aubergine (Eggplant). So nice and so cheap!
Low Fat Greek Yoghurt. Great for all sorts; smoothies, with fruit, on cereal.
Bran Flakes. I find the ones with the least sugar possible, naturally.
Blueberries. Nice natural sugar hit, goes well with the Low Fat Greek Yoghurt.
Venison. Sausages, steak, whatever!

But now I can't imagine living healthily without them!

What new foods have you fallen in love with since starting your weight loss diary?

Replies

• jmidd97
    jmidd97 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love porridge! But its started giving me really bad GI problems, so I can't have it anymore. :( Really bummed about it, its so filling and perfect for cold mornings.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I basically eat the same things as before, but structured differently - more meals/food cooked/assembled from single food ingredients, and portioned out into appropriate portions over several days instead of eating everything at once. Some things very rarely instead of almost every day, other things more regularly. Meals instead of grazing. I can't pinpoint what foods are different.

I try new things from time to time, it's impossible to tell if any of them are "key" to my weightloss, but I have started eating these after I started losing weight this time: Porridges made from "new" grains (millet, semolina, polenta), beets, other nut butters than peanut (almond, cashew, hazelnut), dates, figs, whole milk, butter, cream, Greek yogurt, maple syrup, blended vegetable soups, homemade smoothies, kohlrabi, romanesco, brown rice.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat anything now that I didn't eat before (I love all food), however, I have started eating a lot more rice, a lot less takeaway and a lot less bread (too calorie dense :( ).

It's kind of been such a subtle change it's hard to pinpoint.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I eat foods I never ate before, but none of them are a key to weight loss. That's a calorie deficit.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Splenda as a sugar substitute but it's not a key to my weight loss, it just helps me get rid of some sugar calories.
  • ThunderZtorm
    ThunderZtorm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My biggest changes:

Moving out of sugary cereals and into porridge & oats instead.
    Moving away from soda over to water
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Napa cabbage and broccoli slaw mix. Incredibly filling, high fiber & low calorie--and so easy to add to any meal--omelets at breakfast, salads at lunch, stir fries for dinner.

I can have a 250 calorie salad for lunch built on napa and broccoli slaw and not be at all hungry til dinner!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The only foods I can think of that I eat more often are carrots, spinach, sweet potato and zucchini. I ate them before but maybe a bit more often now.
    I would say eating a sustainable diet for me and logging everything are key to my weight loss not specific foods.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese style hamburgers.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I eat the same of everything- just less...some things WAY less. Ive always been a diverse eater.
    Greek yogurt was one i adapted to eating until I realized it was the culprit of constipation. May as well have been eating handfulls of cheese...darnit! :(
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not much in my woe has changed...I eat what I like, try new things and keep at it.

I do try new things but I always did that.
  • KMGetsFit
    KMGetsFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have added is cauliflower. I hated the stuff. Now, I have discovered fun things like cauliflower fried rice, cauliflower breads and cauliflower pizza dough! And best of all...I cant taste the cauliflower!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Low fat greek yogurt, not for weight loss specifically but to get my protein levels up. I hated yogurt before but built up a tolerance and now kinda like it. I eat it daily.

Oh yeah and beans. I've never liked beans but now I'll throw some in a salad to make it more filling.

Most things I eat differently now seem to be related to protein.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    King prawns I hated them now they're my main food
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I switched from regular coke to diet coke to save calories, but otherwise my diet hasn't really changed. I just eat less.
  • ThunderZtorm
    ThunderZtorm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular coke to diet coke to save calories, but otherwise my diet hasn't really changed. I just eat less.

The unfortunate side effect is then that you are getting a LOT of Aspartam, which is extremely unhealthy. Also, these artificial products increase your hunger.

From my experience, I also went from regular to coke zero and similar, but it was only when I stopped drinking them completely that I started really losing weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Apples. I never cared for apples. But it's because I didn't grow up with Pink Ladies. Now I love them.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I forgot brussel sprouts and parsnips - oven roasted; the one with butter, the other with olive oil and sesame seeds :yum: Still not crucial to losing weight though :lol: