hrm estimating too high?!

Options
sorry if you are seeing this twice, i posted it in two places because i really want to see what people think...

has anyone ever had their polar be wrong before, like too high?
i walked today for an hour and 13 minutes (in the higher end of my fat burning zone for most of it) and was really surprised to see it say i burned 578 calories. i cant believe walking would burn that much!

i have a polar ft4.

Replies

• JMYGA
    JMYGA Posts: 26
    Options
    I used my personal numbers (high end fat burning, etc.) at this site www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm using 73 minutes duration (as you have here). It gave me in excess of 578 burned.
  • Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    did you check the settings. maybe it's set to kg instead lbs. never really heard of wrong cal numbers with a polar before.
    73 mins of walking in a high pace - doesn't sound too wrong
  • nancymmorris
    nancymmorris Posts: 310
    Options
    I think it is probably correct. I usually burn close to 600 calories per hour on a fast paced walk.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You are going to burn calories if you are in the fitness zone vs the fat burning zone. I have a Polar FT7 and for example, I spend a 30 minutes in my fitness zone on the elliptical and I can burn 430 calories easily. So if your really close to your fitness zone, then yes I'd say that's totally possibly. If it bothers you, log it but only eat half.
  • sheils8
    sheils8 Posts: 57
    Options
    thanks for the replies.....i guess it must be right! i was just surprised!!!