Self Tanner Suggestions?

So, summer is coming up and I have been busting my butt in the gym so I can wear shorts and show off my progress. The problem is, I am ghostly white. Like, sun absorbing white. Is there any light self tanner I can apply to my legs that won't turn me orange or look completely unnatural? I only want to make them a couple shades darker.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    You're not to going to put it on your face too?

Haven't tried this but it's the top rated one on Amazon:
    amazon.com/Self-Tanner-Develops-Non-Toxic-Sensitive/dp/B00L2PB3BW/
  • jen_fitnhappy
    jen_fitnhappy Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm just like you! I really like Jergens Self Tanner. It gradually develops each day so it's not very obvious. And when it's fully developed it doesn't look fake, orange, etc. Walmart's version (and Publix in my area) is just as good. Give it a try!

Edited to add - you might want to put it on more than just your legs... do arms, chest, neck, etc. It will look weird on just your legs.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    I know that feeling. I use two different ones. This one does nice job and is really easy to apply http://www.amazon.com/Fake-Bake-FBF-12-Flawless-6-Ounce/dp/B0046VGPHQ/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1460629725&sr=1-2&keywords=self+tanner. This other lotion can be a challenge to apply evenly but I like the overall color better. http://www.amazon.com/Body-Drench-Instant-Tanner-Lotion/dp/B0082MSGDQ/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1460629792&sr=8-9&keywords=body+drench+quick+tan

I'll also agree with the poster above I wouldn't just use it on your legs but all over.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Choose wisely. Don't buy the cheapest product.
    Consider organic. Or at least low chemicals since they can be absorbed through the skin.
    http://www.sarahwilson.com/2012/10/is-there-a-safe-fake-tan/
    One cheap one made me sick for over a day.
    Stores like walmart have plenty of choices. - I like l'oreal
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    I would advise against buying any self-tanner from Walmart. You get what you pay for, and the lighter you are, the more orange your fake Walmart tan will come out. Trust me, I speak from experience.

The only one I have tried that didn't look fake is St. Tropez. I got it from Sephora, and I would strongly advise on getting the applicator mitt for even coverage.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    The only self tanner that looks good on me is St. Tropez Mousse in either dark or medium (apply with a mitt). I am your same complexion (ghostly white) and the medium is the perfect color for me but the dark is nice too after the first shower. I have to say though, these tanners work really really well, and i recommend getting a special one for your face and hands. For some reason i get MUCH darker on my hands and face, so i recommend you use something less potent.

• tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Im really white too and do not tan what so ever. St. Tropez is the best high end one I've tried but it's a pain to get it perfect. The absolute best gradual one I've ever tried that I've never had a problem with streaking is the Hempz gradual tan. You can find it at Walmart. It's cheap and so under rated in my opinion. It doesn't smell as horrible as most tanners and its really hard to mess up. It's really light and gradual though so it takes a couple days of use before you get a really nice "tan" but if your as white as I am you'll notice a difference the first time applying. Lol. Also I use it on my face and have never had a problem with it not matching or looking bad. Seriously give it a shot, it's like six dollars and so much better then any others I've tried including sun labs, jergens, and Neutrogena.
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Malibu Hemp Golden Glow Skin Firming Bronzing Moisturizer 18oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ZBUQ1A/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_cf7dxb77WENS4

Seriously I know people say not to go cheap but this DOES NOT turn you orange. Pinky promise. Lol. Read the reviews on amazon as well.
  • Paiger816
    Paiger816 Posts: 129 Member
    I have a spray tan package from Sun Tan City. I think it's like $20 a month, and it's 2 tans a month. Mine tend to build up in the winter when I don't tan much. So by the time summer rolls around, I have enough tans saved up to tan weekly all summer.

I really like these also. They're tanning wipes, so the tan is evenly distributed. You start with it folded, and slowly unfold in sections as you use up the lotion. I'm never streaky with it too, which is awesome. It's also not "lotion" so it dries really quickly, and I can put clothing on after without having to worry about it rubbing off. I also use Jergens if I'm wearing shorts and need a little extra color on my legs, but I can't get dark enough with just that so I only use it if I have a base tan first.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    I use jergens and it hasn't ever made me orange. I was just thinking I need to go buy some before summer dress season starts in earnest!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    I have to echo @Paiger816 and say that a spray tan at a salon is probably your best (most foolproof) option here.

But that said I use this Express Mist by Yves Rocher, with good results. It dries fast & smells pretty good (for self tanner...)
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Lancôme has a great tanner that I have been using for years. It is very pricy, but always gives me a great color and one tube usually lasts me the summer. You can buy it at Macy's or Dillards.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'll have to try a couple of these out beforehand and see if they work for me.