Anyone ever eat an avocado seed?

Options
I keep seeing videos and articles about how eating the seed of an avocado is great for you since it's packed with nutrition. Has anyone ever tried it? The preferred method I think is blend it into a powder for smoothies. Does it have a weird taste? Or cause any stomach issues?

Replies

• Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    :p
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it. There was a short discussion on this topic a month ago.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353746/eating-an-avocado-pit
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well, the pits contain cyanide, like a lot of other seeds do. It's not a level that is highly toxic to humans, but it is technically still a toxin.
    Also, as a side note, please keep the seeds and any derivatives of them far away from any non-human animals - there is a fungicidal toxin in them called persin that is dangerous to domestic animals.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I read probably the same articles. I followed the suggestions to break it up with a meat hammer then brew it like tea. I would love to tell you it produced a euphoric high that I have only ever attained before a few magical times, but... truth is I thought it was super yucky...
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It seemed like a lot of effort to get them open as well for something that is probably toxic and tastes like butt. I'll just throw the seed away and eat more avocado instead.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    I haven't tried it. There was a short discussion on this topic a month ago.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10353746/eating-an-avocado-pit

I thought this was that thread all over again. I still stick to what I said then - Considering the article states that you want to put the powder in stuff to hide the bitterness, I'm already sure it doesn't taste as good as an avacado. And you need a high powered blender, like a vitamix. The aggravation of the whole process to make a bitter powder that I have to sneak into foods with a strong flavor... nah, I'm good. Interesting concept though!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I just chew them up raw, keeps me busy over the course of an afternoon or seven
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It would seem like a lot of effort for very little gain to me...there are a lot of easier ways to pack your body full of nutrition.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but huh? Why? Is this a joke?
  • BarbellBabe87
    BarbellBabe87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do all the time. I make sure I use a fork & knife.