Savory Oatmeal

Options
ASH_DVM
ASH_DVM Posts: 160 Member
Went out for a breakfast meeting today, and felt like oatmeal. But didn't want a sweet oatmeal. So I ordered it with an over easy egg and hot sauce with salt and pepper. And it was great!

Wondering if anyone has some savory oatmeal recipes or ideas that they've tried and enjoy. I'm going to have to try this more often. I like my normal oats and fruit or honey and yogurt, but savory is really really good!

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I made some a while ago and it was delicious! I was inspired by congee (rice porridge) that I usually only eat when I'm staying at hotels in Asia, though occasionally I find it locally if I'm staying in a hotel with lots of tour groups.
    Now, I think about it, I made it kind of like a cross between fried rice (nasi goreng) and congee.

This is not quite a recipe, but here's how I made it:
    - Cooked rolled oats in a saucepan with half water/half skim milk until thick and creamy.
    - In a non stick pan, cooked spring onions and finely chopped zucchini and red capsicum until soft.
    - Stirred the veggies into the porridge with some chilli flakes, sesame oil, soy sauce.
    - Served it up, topped with a fried egg and some chopped coriander. Hot sauce or fresh chilli would be good too, you could skip the chilli flakes unless you want it really spicy.
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Thanks pebble, that sounds delicious. Going to try this tomorrow.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    ... eat savoury oats everyday, can't stand sweet ones.

If in a rush cooked in chicken / vegetables stock, crack 3 eggs inside and a bit of salt / chilly sauce.
    Boil hot water and add tomato concentrate and harissa (northern african chilly paste) add the oats along with some some cumin seeds and once cooked some cilantro - with some eggs on the side.
    Mixed with chopped vegetables, cooked in veg stock.
    Half cooked with water and salt - when still a bit runny finish them up in a pan and flatten them down like a pancake, cook both sides, add eggs, bacon or what ever in the mood.
    Cook them in milk and finish them off with parmesan / cheese.

I could go on for a couple of hours...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I will add PB2 or peanut butter and chili paste to my oatmeal.
  • akamran1
    akamran1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I do this, or add .5 oz cheddar cheese, or 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast with squirt of mustard. I will have to try the other ideas in this thread!
  • ari7l
    ari7l Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Banana in oatmeal so good, no need to sweeten it, all natural. :smiley:
  • ASH_DVM
    Options
    ari7l wrote: »
    Banana in oatmeal so good, no need to sweeten it, all natural. :smiley:

I wouldn't call banana savory...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

this sounds amazing
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

this sounds amazing

I love it! If I'm at a hotel breakfast bar, I'll use hot sauce instead . . . but the chili paste is really the best.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    There are a ton on hereSavory Oatmeals but that sauteed onion mushroom and thyme looks AMAZING!!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Salsa + whatever leftover veggies I've got (eg peppers, spinach, onions, mushrooms, etc.) + cheese + poached or boiled egg

Wasabi + soy sauce squash or sweet potato + boiled egg + spinach + leftover shredded pork

BBQ sauce + leftover shredded chicken (e.g. rotisserie chicken, crockpot chicken) + mushrooms + cheese

Tomato sauce + pepperoni + mushrooms and peppers + cheese (PIZZA OATS FTW)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Mmm all these sound good. When I do eat oatmeal I usually throw salt and pepper in, but now I am going to branch out with more mix ins!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You could b theory make an oatmeal version of any congee...countless savoury versions.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    yay great ideas...heading into autumn and I'm getting bored with eggs. need more brekky ideas
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Bacon or ham added to the oatmeal!
  • shaneseb
    shaneseb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually add a poached or fried egg with butter and left over vegetables and meat. I love to eat savory oatmeal with leftover steak. Sometimes I will sauteed kale or sliced brussel sprouts mix.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have never had savory oatmeal, but the poached egg sounds really good.
    I always have steel cut oats. I saute the oats in a little coconut oil. I am going to try this tomorrow. I think I will saute the oats with some onion. Then cook it with liquid. Add some cooked bacon and top with a poached egg.
  • ASH_DVM
    Options
    I have never had savory oatmeal, but the poached egg sounds really good.
    I always have steel cut oats. I saute the oats in a little coconut oil. I am going to try this tomorrow. I think I will saute the oats with some onion. Then cook it with liquid. Add some cooked bacon and top with a poached egg.

Sounds wonderful! I'm not a fan of coconut oil unless I'm baking, but I'd probably saute it in butter or the bacon fat. Let us know how it is!