"Pick me up" after lunch

Options
So I work 8-5 and take my lunch around 12:30pm and we get an hour. I go to the gym on Wednesdays for half an hour and do an intense workout with my trainer and eat my lunch at my desk. However, as soon as it hits 3pm I am extremely tired!! A lot of people told me to drink tea, but I don't like tea at all. Have any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Do you like anything with caffeine in it? Usually when I have something like a coffee, tea, or diet soda, it helps me perk up.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Snack.

Greek yogurt, apple, carrot sticks, protein bar are my afternoon snack options.

Or caffeine that fits into your calorie goals if you just feel tired, not hungry.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you're so tired after your Wednesday workouts, why not put them off until after work? It sounds like that's what is making you tired.

Dehydration and low sodium can make one sleepy as well. If you sweat a lot during your workouts you could be dehydrated. Try some water with a slightly salty snack, like lightly salted nuts.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Perhaps water, and you might reconsider the tea idea - there are a TON of different tea flavors now. I didn't used to like tea, but did some experimenting and found that I like green tea with mint and/or chai flavors (Yogi and Tazo brands), and "Chocolate" tea (Numi and Indulgent Tea have choco tea).
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to refrain myself from any type of soda. I don't mind coffee, but I like milk with it which we don't have at work. I wished if I liked tea but I don't
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    positivepowers- my trainer is only available during lunch. I am just asking for ideas. Please don't tell me what to do.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Try flavored teas? I like cinnamon stick and mint teas the most. Otherwise, get a small container and bring some milk for coffee. I don't workout till after work because it makes me so tired for the rest of the day
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    positivepowers- my trainer is only available during lunch. I am just asking for ideas. Please don't tell me what to do.

I think that was just a friendly suggestion. @positivepowers was asking "why not" try that (and you explained why), not telling you that you must do it.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Coffee. If the problem is milk, bring your own milk in single servings?
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Do you like coffee? I have a coffee every afternoon with a handful of almonds and fruit. Today it was a melon mixture. Gives me the perking up I need for my workout after work.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you need a caffeine pick me up, I like the crystal lite single serving packets. They now have a couple flavored that have caffeine. It's a great way to get in some water too!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What is in the lunch?
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I haven't looked at your diary, or even to see if it's public, so I don't know what you're eating. I do find that personally, when I am eating a lot more sugars and less protein (especially around my workouts) I will have a really bad tired attack around 3. Caffeine kinda helps, but then I don't sleep, so I don't do that.

So adding some protein to your lunch, having a protein snack, going for a quick walk around the building are all things that might help.
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    Just had an asiago cheese bagel and for breakfast I had a bottle the starbucks iced coffee with milk.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Monster Ultra Zero - every afternoon...
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    If this is only on the days you are working out at lunch, it is probably either some dehydration or perhaps you need to have a complex carb based snack before working out to make sure you have enough energy to get through the work out. I like 1/4 cup oatmeal with almond milk, add a few blueberries ... lots of energy for my workout without hitting the wall later. You don't have to cook it, just add the milk to the oatmeal and refrigerate for a few hours...it is good cold. Size of your snack will be dependent on you...what you have for breakfast, your age, weight, etc. Just play around and see what works. I found plain fruit does not give me that same energy kick.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    protein shake or protein bar after your workout
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I find this happens because my body cools down after working out and then I'm sitting there at my desk not moving. Your body cooling down and not moving are normal signs that it's bed time. Maybe get a sweater/jacket for when you start to cool down. Maybe use a timer to get up and stretch every 30 minutes or so after you get back. Is there someone you can go talk to around that time? I'm not saying it couldn't be food/caffeine related, but there might be other ways to address it as well.