Over-exercising?

Options
So recently I've been doing a lot of exercise and really pushing myself burning as much in the gym as I have ate and yet I'm not losing the weight. Anyone believe in over-exercise ?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Under fueling is more of a thing than over exercising.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Take measurements. You could be losing inches.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    You said recently, how recently is recently?
  • TaraHancock827
    TaraHancock827 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I have been going to the gym 5 days a week and lifting with a bit of cardio. Then walking in the evenings some. I gained half a pound, but I do think my pants feel a little looser. Wish I would have measured at the start
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Over-exercising is a thing- but not in the way you described it. Exercising wont make you stall out on progress. If the scale isn't moving (and you're watching calories) you're more than likely losing inches. If you're not losing inches, i would recheck your calories to make sure you're in deficient.

I went a month gaining and losing 5 pounds (140-145). But i did lose inches. And finally i got the courage to step on the scale and i was down to 138 pounds. This week i'm down to 136pounds. So it comes off, just takes time.

ADD: The way i see "over-exercising" is when you push yourself too hard too quickly. Say you workout everyday, sooner or later you run yourself down. AKA not enough recovery time.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe the exercise makes you hungrier and you are eating more than you think.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Over-training is a real thing, but you could be gaining muscle mass, which is causing your weight loss to appear to stall. Also, keep in mind that the less you weigh, the fewer calories you burn at a given exercise/intensity than someone larger, so the weight loss will not be as dramatic. Additionally, make sure you're using the same scale for weighing. Another possibility: if you lack variety in your routine, your muscles may have become accustomed to the workout, so you are expending fewer calories now (less effort), to accomplish the same.

On over-training: If you have a heart rate monitor, you can check for it by tracking your resting heart. If it is higher than normal or is trending upwards, you could be over-training. Appropriate rest to allow muscle recovery is essential.

Finally: what are using to track your caloric expenditure vs. intake? Perhaps more precise tools will assist you in making sure these are proportional.

Good luck!
  • Megan7146
    Megan7146 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments!! Very interesting and useful! :)
    I think I need to use something to measure more accurately what I'm burning and also just trust that in time I will get the results I want !
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Also I found that when I first started working out, my body was adjusting and I stopped losing for a few weeks. I think my body might have been retaining some water trying to restore the muscles I had been using during my workouts. It did finally level out though.
  • carllucas0
    carllucas0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great advice above RE gaining muscle mass may even youre scale weight. Try not to over weigh yourself, like everything it takes time, continue with youre wirkout and cakorie plan and perhaos just weigh yourself every month not after every gym session #Marathon Not a Sprint
  • giorgioc722
    giorgioc722 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually tend to over-eat when I over exercise. It was pretty stupid of me for awhile, and when I found a good balance between the two I began to lose weight much faster.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Megan7146 wrote: »
    So recently I've been doing a lot of exercise and really pushing myself burning as much in the gym as I have ate and yet I'm not losing the weight. Anyone believe in over-exercise ?

You're probably either over-estimating your burn, under-estimating your intake, or some of both. If you're not losing weight try adjusting one way or the other.

If you're really in a deficit over time, you will lose weight.. there's no way around it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

you don't need to burn off everything you eat...you burn a crap ton of calories every single day just existing...plus more with your day to day. What you're describing is essentially exercise bulimia and it is a disorder.

Underfeeding is a bad thing and yes, you can definitely overexercise...but most often issues occur from underfeeding your fitness.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I'm a little confused..So if you eat 1500 cals a day then you are attempting to burn 1500 cals a day at the gym? How are you measuring that? And If so, why exactly? What kind of goal are you trying to attain?
    Bottom line, exercise is for fitness, Weight loss is all about Calories In /Calories Out. I don't think your number are right