I could use some help from Runners, shoe question.

Options
Calling all runners!

I am getting close to the max mileage for my shoes. I'd guess around 100 miles remaining. That is roughly 12 weeks for the amount of running I am wanting to do at this point. Do you suggest getting new shoes now and using them a little here and there before my others are retired? Or do I wait and once they have met their mileage then switch? What do you do?

Also, do you use a different pair of shoes for running indoors/on treadmill than outside? One of my mom/runner friends had mentioned that she does that. I have always used the same shoes but thought that it might be a good idea if I were to train for a half. (not quite ready to do that, as you can see my mileage isn't there yet either :smiley: )

Any advice is welcome! Thank you!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I usually just ditch my old shoes when they hit 450 miles and start wearing the new ones.

I use the same shoes for treadmill running and outdoor running. I've never heard an argument wearing different shoes (although I can understand doing it if the outdoor shoes are more of a trail shoe).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would get them now and alternate, that's what I do.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would get them now and alternate, that's what I do.

yes this..I actually do this anyway.

I bought 2 pair and alternate them anyway.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I alternate between 2 pairs.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I just get a new pair when the old ones get close to max mileage and work the new ones in over the course of a week or two.
  • Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will probably wait a couple of weeks before I make my purchase! Happy running, all!
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If I'm buying the same exact model then I just wait until my current ones are done, but if I'm going to buy something different I get the new ones earlier and alternate.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just switch when it's time to switch. I also always get the same shoe (maybe a newer model) so the transition is minimal. Maybe a little toe numbness on longer runs the first week as I break them in.