"Pick me up" after lunch

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I sit on my *kitten* all day at work and still feel drowsy every day around 3. Desk naps are the answer.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Plenty of protein and fiber at lunch with some coffee - no more 3pm pick me up needed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Just had an asiago cheese bagel and for breakfast I had a bottle the starbucks iced coffee with milk.

I'd crash after lunch too if I had that little calories and protein.

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    If possible, a short walk outside or around the office could help perk you up. It makes a big difference for me. As some others have suggested, maybe you just need a snack. Sometimes I find that food can help me get through the 3pm slump.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A caffeine pill with a glass of water could help! A bottle of them are super cheap at the local drugstore.
  • krishnap1104
    krishnap1104 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    What do you guys recommend for the a high protein lunch?
  • foxygirl14
    foxygirl14 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    If possible, a short walk outside or around the office could help perk you up. It makes a big difference for me. As some others have suggested, maybe you just need a snack. Sometimes I find that food can help me get through the 3pm slump.

This is exactly what works for me. I eat a piece of fruit and take a brisk walk around the outside of the building every day at 3:00pm. It really helps wake me up!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    Adequate protein and fat prior to your workout would help tremendously. I have to be very careful about making my lunches as nutritious as possible because 3:30 or 4:00 is when I go to the gym. Right during that dreaded sleepy time. I've adapted since I've been doing this for so long, but I can really tell when I'm slacking on my lunches. It affects my energy level immediately.
  • becomingvegannn
    becomingvegannn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Today I ate plain greek yogurt topped with raspberries and granola at 3pm! I need a pre-planned afternoon snack or I'll mindlessly eat anything and everything while sitting at my desk :#
  • gregproctor44
    gregproctor44 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It's an acquired taste, but apple cider vinegar (2 tbsp in 10 oz of water) is a good option. You get a little boost from it and it has number out other health benefits. I take it with sparking Orange LaCroix water.
  • kshama2001
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What do you guys recommend for the a high protein lunch?

Assuming you are an omnivore, meat.

Wheat can make some people sleepy, so if trying the obvious lunch choice of a sandwich, be aware of that.

When I worked in an office and batch cooked on weekends, I often made chicken-rice-veg or chicken-potato-veg for lunches for during the week.

I've found that bread made from sprouted wheat berries (as opposed to flour) doesn't make me sleepy, so here are my typical breakfasts and lunches these days. BF is a smoothie - I also use about 1.5 C of tea for the liquid and a pinch of salt.

6c9b6a48462cbeb0893eea5225730cf1.png
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Protein could help - maybe a cheese stick for snack? Or nuts?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    I would suggest something but I don't want to get another warning message from the mods -.-

You just broke the first rule of Fight Club.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A bit of exercise always does it for me. Maybe a brisk walk around the block/building?
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    foxygirl14 wrote: »

This is exactly what works for me. I eat a piece of fruit and take a brisk walk around the outside of the building every day at 3:00pm. It really helps wake me up!

Agreed! :)
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    I heard good things about ACV so do you just mix it in? I also heard cranberry juice is good for you? Anyone tried it?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to refrain myself from any type of soda. I don't mind coffee, but I like milk with it which we don't have at work. I wished if I liked tea but I don't

You can buy non perishable creamer and keep it at your desk.

Or perhaps it's an energy slump from your workout. Eat a solid snack after you exercise.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I heard good things about ACV so do you just mix it in? I also heard cranberry juice is good for you? Anyone tried it?

It's just vinegar. Nothing special about it. If you WANT to drink vinegar, go ahead.

Cranberry juice is tasty, which makes it better than vinegar. What benefits are you looking for? It's like most fruit juices. It has some vitamins, and sugar.

I get sleepy around 3 or 4 too, especially if I eat a decent lunch. I just power through, and feel fine around 5 or 6 (so, after I get home xD). If I get REALLY sleepy, I just wall around a bit. Maybe walk downstairs (and back up, no elevator), and grab an energy drink. The walking is what wakes me up though, caffeine just makes me jittery.
  • Kdooms5
    Kdooms5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Isn't asking people for ideas asking them what they think you should do?
  • krishnap1104
    Options
    kdooms: Not really, I'm sure I'm not the only one asking for ideas I think this is why we have "discussion forums" because we're here to help each other out and seek advise.