People who've gone from cut/loss to maintaining; are you still seeing changes in your size?

Options
I've been hitting maintenance for a bit now, and I'm thinking that I've been trying to cut for a good amount of time. I'm considering taking another week intentionally around maintenance, but I've still noticed my measurements shifting (besides this week, they've been going down in general).

Aside from that, visually I feel like I'm still noticing positive changes, but I'm not sure if that will continue in a way that means maybe I'm ok with my current weight?

My goals were scale-based for awhile, and now I'm adding measurements. Will my waist get more compact still? Will I notice more growth in my arm muscles with more food and continued activity?

How much difference in appearence, measurement or visually, did you notice switching from a cut to maintenance?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That will likely depend on your workout routine. If you're lifting regularly, yes, you may notices changes in your body without losing weight. If not, you'll probably just stay the same.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Last micro-cycle, while maintaining at or a little above maintenance, I was in an accumulation phase (increased frequency and reps that had reps) and boy howdy did I put on some size. Okay, not that much, but enough to be noticed.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm lifting a bit more than I was before, actually. I've cut back on cardio, but I'm trying to add it back. I've found I prefer lifting so it's been hard to have as much cardio going on, haha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    In three years I've more or less maintained my weight (I usually put on about 8 Lbs over the winter and then it comes off in the spring) while dropping 2-3% BF and putting on about 5 Lbs of muscle. I lift and I cycle and I eat to train.

I was about 15% BF when I went to maintenance...I'm at about 12% currently and 182 Lbs.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same size and shape after 4 months of maintaining.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You state visually you might be seeing postive changes, but are you really? I ask this because what may be a "non fluffy day" (water retention) you may see some slight definition visually only the measurements, pictures in the exact same clothes each month (front back and side views) and (if possible using a caliper reading) will attest to what is happening to your body outside of a dexa scan.

To get size you have to eat above maintenance, hands down because we gain very little each month depending on your level of lifting experience (number of years in lifting and building muscle). As a woman, the weight range is a must. Hormones and what happens the week of TOM and there after can be huge.

Also if you measure exactly each month using the exact same spots and accuracy you will tell what is happening.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    To quote Eric Helms -
    "....recomposition is normal. It happens – less so in trained individuals, but much more in untrained, new lifters."

Recomposition can be a goal on its own or it can be a by-product of your lifestyle and exercise. My goals are fitter/faster/stronger and recomp and aesthetic changes are a nice bonus.

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Last micro-cycle, while maintaining at or a little above maintenance, I was in an accumulation phase (increased frequency and reps that had reps) and boy howdy did I put on some size. Okay, not that much, but enough to be noticed.

Micro-cycle? How long did it last? Have you done it before? Reps that had reps!? :open_mouth:
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

Micro-cycle? How long did it last? Have you done it before? Reps that had reps!? :open_mouth:
    An off season for me is usually around 12 weeks between meets. First micro cycle is an accumulation cycle, following cycle is a technique micro cycle, and the last is a tapering micro cycle. Each is about four weeks with a forth week deload first two micro cycles and the last one culminates in a meet. All that equals a one training block.

The reps comment is a hyperbole. I just meant I do a lot of reps. For example this one training session.

1. Dumbbell Hang Cleans: 20x3x10. (Warm-up).
    2. Squat (L): 135x7, 150x5, 185x5, 225x15 (AMRAP), 185x10,10,16 (AMRAP).
    3. Bench Press (351): 140x5, 170x5, 200x3, 225x3, 255x7, 140x10,10,10,10,15 (AMRAP).
    4. RDL: 140x12, 225x8,8,8,10 (AMRAP). (Accessory).
    5. DB Flyes: 45x20,12,12.
    6. Push-ups: 15,15 (30 reps).
    7. Chin-ups: 8,6,6,6,4. (30 reps).
    8. Standing Calf Raise: 180x30,15,15. (60 reps).

TOTALS: 49,475 lbs. 44 sets. 506 reps. 75 minutes. RPE 9/10.

I train squat and bench three times a week. Or did, I start a new program next Tuesday.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I lifted in maintenance for a few months last summer. My measurements didn't change drastically but I started noticing little "differences" that were hard to pin point. I got more compact looking, my abs start to peek through a little, and I started showing veins around my bikini/lower ab area.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I've only been maintaining since Early March and my weight has stayed within my range of 114-117lbs. But I'm still losing on my measurements. Lost on my hips & waist this month.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I hit a healthy BMI back in February of 2015 after losing 52 lbs. I lifted weights the entire time I was losing weight (about 13 months) so lost both inches and pounds. I've been maintaining for a few months now and holding steady. No more weight loss, nor have I lost any more inches. I think I'm where I need to be. Exercise schedule about the same; weights/cardio/walking. I still take measurements once a month and weigh in every day to follow fluctuations.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

An off season for me is usually around 12 weeks between meets. First micro cycle is an accumulation cycle, following cycle is a technique micro cycle, and the last is a tapering micro cycle. Each is about four weeks with a forth week deload first two micro cycles and the last one culminates in a meet. All that equals a one training block.

The reps comment is a hyperbole. I just meant I do a lot of reps. For example this one training session.

1. Dumbbell Hang Cleans: 20x3x10. (Warm-up).
    2. Squat (L): 135x7, 150x5, 185x5, 225x15 (AMRAP), 185x10,10,16 (AMRAP).
    3. Bench Press (351): 140x5, 170x5, 200x3, 225x3, 255x7, 140x10,10,10,10,15 (AMRAP).
    4. RDL: 140x12, 225x8,8,8,10 (AMRAP). (Accessory).
    5. DB Flyes: 45x20,12,12.
    6. Push-ups: 15,15 (30 reps).
    7. Chin-ups: 8,6,6,6,4. (30 reps).
    8. Standing Calf Raise: 180x30,15,15. (60 reps).

TOTALS: 49,475 lbs. 44 sets. 506 reps. 75 minutes. RPE 9/10.

I train squat and bench three times a week. Or did, I start a new program next Tuesday.

pelo5nn7q5ap.jpg
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hit maintenance 3 years ago. Every year my body has slowly changed, even though my weight has remained in a 5 pound range. I mainly lift and power walk (a lot) for exercise.

My waist has lost inches, my face got more trimmer, I see more muscle definition in my legs, I can see more veins in my forearms, I've lost some fat in my hips and I've dropped a dress size.

I'm hoping I will stable out soon because I'm very happy with my body. Also this is getting expensive as I look at last year's summer clothes I now need to replace because most are too big.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Been the same weight for 2 years (actually 3 pounds over now), I don't do lifting programs but lift 2x a week, just increasing my weights when I can, and I've lost a couple inches in that time.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Oh, yes. I have daily comments from people that it looks like I've lost more weight, I look toner, more fit, etc. Although I've lost 2 lbs in the past two months only. I guess it's from running and working out.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ive gotten fatter, but weight the same.
    Ive been maintaining for about 7ish months and My weight fluncuates between 100-105, but physically I look fatter than when I was cutting.
    I dont do anything but cardio btw.
    Im too insecure to lift at the gym imo
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I only run at the moment. Been within +\- 2 lbs last 6 months and I've gone from a 23 in waist to a 21.5" waist with no weight training. It's consistent so I don't think it's due to water retention and l don't get a TOM so not from that. /shrug