should I be concerned

Options
So I went to the podiatrist yesterday. I really thought that the boot was coming off.. But nope the foot is not healing well. I have to wear the boot for another month. Well I was doing a little cardio while at the gym before yesterday. I now think that I need to stay off of it as much as possible. it is the smart thing to do.

My question is.. should I be concerned that I am not going to be doing any cardio at all? I can tell you that it felt so wierd today. Instead of warming up on the elliptical for 10 minutes I just stretched. Then I didnt do any cardio after I lifted. I am bummed. But I want this to be ove before summer.

Replies

• MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    As a coach of higher level competitors, I see this all of the time. Not knowing the reasons for your boot, I suspect stress fracture in the foot? I've had athletes get placed in the boot and "stay off the foot," meant stay off the foot. They don't, and they never come back in the initial amount of time given. They are always trying to push through something because it's their nature. If swimming is an option, you can go that route for cardio but you may still be risking a prolonged engagement with the boot. The comeback will be rough for the first week or so but you will be fine. If you are still working your body in other ways, your fitness will help the transition back in, easier.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Definitely give your foot time to heal properly, otherwise it will just keep setting you back.

If you can lift then you should be fine. I burned myself out on cardio and I only do 10 min. on the treadmill before lifting, but sometimes if I'm short on time I skip it completely. It's a good idea to move around a bit and get warmed up before lifting, but it doesn't necessarily mean on a cardio machine.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'd advise following doctor's orders. They're pretty generally good about telling you things for a reason.

My doctor said to not use my wrist for a month after my sprain and it should heal quickly. Ive got a meet I want to do, didn't listen, t months later wrist is still problematic.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @MyFreakingNameIsScott Yes it is a stress fracture. I am definitely the type that tries to push through it. I know I need to folllow the doctors orders. I fractured my knee 1.5 years ago. I did not follow the doctors orders at all. It took like 10 months to heal. I stopped going to the gym during this time. So I had only been back in the gym for less than 2 months. I do not know what the heck I am doing wrong. I did express my concerns to the doc. I am going to go have a bone scan. That is really scary. I am only 36.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    How did you fracture your knee? And your foot? If they weren't both directly related to a specific event or accident then yes, I'd look into getting a bone scan done.

Other than that, do you have good-fitting supportive shoes? Is your form when working out good? I have back and neck issues so watching my form, wearing good shoes, and maintaining proper posture are important for me so as to not aggravate my issues. Just a thought.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @BZAH10 I fractured my knee about 1.5 years ago. I have no idea how I did it. It started hurting and I didnt think anything of it. Then it got worse ad worse. x-ray showed nothing. It wasnt until I had a mRI that I found out that it was fractured. It took forever to heal. I ended up have to get a bone growth stimulator to use. Pretty much the same thing with the ankle. Except this time I did not wait as long as I did with the knee. I was only using the machines and running during this time. There really is no good explanation for the injuries except a change in activity. I just think I am too young to be experiencing this.

I have really awesome shoes. Today when I worked out I watched videos before I did any of them. When I did them I did it righ tin front of a mirror. The one thing i noticed is the position of my hands when doing incline press. i have problems keeping them facing out.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When ever you get a boot, you need to stay off it until the boot comes off and I mean for exercising. Boot means stay off and rest the injury.

If it was serious enough, the doc would have put a hard cast on it. So stay off it, let it heal and let the doc take it off in a month and then go back to normal.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Hmmm, seeing that both injuries were of a mysterious nature I'd definitely follow up with your surgeon and see what other tests he or she recommends. It may not be anything. It may just be a fluke but it's better to start looking into it now just in case.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Hmmm, seeing that both injuries were of a mysterious nature I'd definitely follow up with your surgeon and see what other tests he or she recommends. It may not be anything. It may just be a fluke but it's better to start looking into it now just in case.

^This. Two unexplained fractures in such a short time and such a young age, andnot healting well, it is something you definitely need to investigate.
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    When I asked both of the docs(ortho and podiatrist) they said that it was from exerting oneself too much in a new activity. But even that doesnt make sense. I am not out there going crazy. But I will admit that I am not the most knowledgable person. That is why I have kept it pretty in the past. Only here recently have I decided that I need to change things up because I want to physically see results. I like going to the gym because I feel better but man it would be really good to see the hard work I am doing.

I think the next logical step is for me to have a bone scan. That would be terrible to be developing osteoporosis at the age of 36. Depending on what those results are I will have to figure out what the next step is.

The boot is meant to be worn so that you can still walk. Its purphase is to stabilize your foot while you are walking. With that being said I am not doing a ton of walking. When I fractured my knee the ortho doc said it was fine for me to go to the gym to work upper body and core. Today when I went I wasnt even there for an hour. If I do not go I feel terrible the entire day. So sluggish..Thats why I continued to go in the past..even though I did not see the ideal results.. You know that body of a 21 year old. lol
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I fractured my foot a few years ago rushed myself out of cast/crutches then rushed out of boot and foot never healed very well... Hurt the same foot this year and it's taking forever to heal (probably due to not staying off of it enough) my doctor thinks part of it is related to a bad Vitamin D deficiency and previously low calcium intake

I would recommend talking over concerns with Dr and following orders for resting it
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    One more thing. Beyond the docs advice, Contrast Bath. I swear by them in the gym and at home.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @MyFreakingNameIsScott Yes it is a stress fracture. I am definitely the type that tries to push through it. I know I need to folllow the doctors orders. I fractured my knee 1.5 years ago. I did not follow the doctors orders at all. It took like 10 months to heal. I stopped going to the gym during this time. So I had only been back in the gym for less than 2 months. I do not know what the heck I am doing wrong. I did express my concerns to the doc. I am going to go have a bone scan. That is really scary. I am only 36.

Let me know what they find out. I'm 37 and my issues began at 35. I also keep getting stress fractures, like all the time. I had a vitamin D test and I was low, but not bone cracking low. I was a 30 and the minimum normal level is a 29.

The doctors seem to think it's because I'm a fat chick that likes to run. They won't come out and say it. Maybe they are worried about hurting my feelings or something. Their suggestion was to lose some weight. No *kitten*. Why the hell do they think I was running? Chasing the ice cream man?

Mine are mostly the tibia, although I had one in my foot (didn't require the boot). I get multiple stress fractures up and down both tibias even from walking. I did find out that my mom and granny have osteopenia, so they said I might just be pre-disposed to brittle bones.

I did everything from having a running gait analysis to multiple stores recommending shoes (they all suggested the ones I already have).

Good Luck.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    When I injured my patellar (below kneecap) tendon, I went back to swimming. I still try to do it 1-2 times a week. Love it.