Couch to 5 K Questions

Options
ar1356
ar1356 Posts: 32 Member
Ok I will totally admit that I absolutely HATE running. I've have however, always wanted to be a runner. I was wondering if anyone has successfully completed this program who feels/felt like I do about running. Also, I have tendonitis in my knees, wondering if anyone has worked around that with this program as well? Thanks for your input in advance!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I HATED running.

I finished C25K yesterday.

I now LOVE running & will continue 3x a week.
  • erylie
    erylie Posts: 34
    Options
    I just finished it this week, and I loved it! It starts off so gradually, that it really gives you a chance to get used to it. I have never really been a runner either, and didn't enjoy running. Now, though, doing a 30 minute run really clears my head, and I feel GREAT afterwards.
  • krisdrake
    krisdrake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am excited to see that you are interested in running. I never thought I would run either and really never liked running. I joined a 5K program at our Y two years ago and have been running ever since. I am 49. I have met some of my very best friends through running and many of us are still running to this day. I am a slow runner but consistent. I am sure that with the right running coach you can safely work through your tendonitis. You won't believe the feeling you will have when you finish your first 5K.

Best to you.

Kris
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yeah I HATED running too. With a burning passion. I would have rather gone on the elliptical for 2 hours than run ten minutes.
    Now I'm on week 6 of the couch to 5 k program and I LOVE running. I'm even sitting here debating if I should go for a run then come back and do my workout haha.
    It really works you into it slowly, and helps your endurance. I'd strongly recommend it.. I'm now training for a half marathon! I would have never have been able to get started without this app, and I'm super freaking excited.

Also, I have a weak meniscus in my left knee. The good thing about this program is it's only 3 days a week so it's not too hard on you. but I would STRONGLY suggest getting professionally fitted for a good pair of running shoes. It'll make all the difference in the world to your knees and joints in general.

You should definitely try it. The first week only has you running intervals of 60 seconds. Eventually you get up to running 20 minutes, and it suddenly feels like nothing! I haven't had the runners high kick in yet, but I'm pretty excited about that part too. Once you can go for a run and have it be a relaxing experience, that'll be what you always want to do.

Good luck!
  • MommaTLE
    MommaTLE Posts: 10
    Options
    I have never been a runner and hate running but like you want to be a runner. Over a year ago a group of Mom's at my kids school started a running group called the Momma Warriors as way to have some time to our self and get exercise. We used the couch to 5k as guide. We have since did over 10 5k's even making one an annual running/shopping mom's weekend right before Christmas. I still can't run a whole 5k but alternate running and walking and each time improve my time. I just signed up to do the Warrior Dash next June which will be my biggest challenge to date with a goal to one day in near future to train to do the Disney half marathon. Good luck!
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I hated it too. Running 90 seconds was hard in the beginning. Now I run 3 miles a few times a week. It gets easier after a while.
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi, I used to hate running. I ran my first full 5k yesterday, only at about 7.5kph but I got there and was well proud. Maybe try it again after weekend. I couldn't run for more that 4 minutes at christmas.
  • anunley
    anunley Posts: 1
    Options
    I have not finished the program but I am in the final few weeks. I have found it very helpful. It is exactly what I need. He tells you when to start and stop. Otherwise I would be playing head games. Good luck!
  • ar1356
    ar1356 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yeah I HATED running too. With a burning passion. I would have rather gone on the elliptical for 2 hours than run ten minutes.

I do too. Once in high school, we were required to run a mile once a week, I told my coach I would rather lunge a mile than run it. She thought I was just being a smart a** and told me to do it, and I did. She was in complete awe that I could hate running that much. I really want to try this now because of everyones input!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner and hate running but like you want to be a runner. Over a year ago a group of Mom's at my kids school started a running group called the Momma Warriors as way to have some time to our self and get exercise. We used the couch to 5k as guide. We have since did over 10 5k's even making one an annual running/shopping mom's weekend right before Christmas. I still can't run a whole 5k but alternate running and walking and each time improve my time. I just signed up to do the Warrior Dash next June which will be my biggest challenge to date with a goal to one day in near future to train to do the Disney half marathon. Good luck!

I just started c25k this week, although I've been doing some intervals of running for a few weeks now. I have my first 5k race coming up in Sept. At this point I can't see myself running the whole thing, although I'm hopeful. And I do hope I eventually will like running. I have a dream that I will one day enter to run one of the half marathons at Disney. But first...my baby steps must be taken. Good luck to you and feel free to add me as a friend for mutual support.:happy:
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am not much into running..but I "power" walk (or as Leslie Sansone calls it "Boosted Walk"..so it's kind of like jogging. I am not a thin girl..so it's a bit uncomfortable for me to run. I can jog in place for 10 minutes at a time. Is that good? Will jogging (not running) help me lose more weight? I'm getting kinda tired of the spin bike.