Soda

Options
Soda! Yay or nay? I love Diet Coke! Nothing satisfies like that sweet bubbly love in a can. If it's diet does it make it okay? Can I let myself indulge in this delicious beverage. I have read some many articles that bicker between the pros and cons. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Everything in moderation. 1 can won't break you, but a 6 pack just isn't healthy - diet or regular Coke.
  • graceanli
    graceanli Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Always diet! Am I going to gain weight from artificial sugar?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    No. Artificial sugar may cause gas, bloating and diarrhea for some, but not weight gain.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    graceanli wrote: »

You gain weight from consuming more calories than you burn. Artificial sweeteners are calorie free.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

no, you won't gain at all since there are zero calories.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

No. Zero calories is zero calories.

I drink diet soda every day, did this during the weight loss phase and now doing it during maintenance. I've had no issues with drinking it :)
  • graceanli
    graceanli Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! I didn't know because I read articles saying that artificial sugar still raises your blood sugar which is bad... Thanks for the feedback! Love hearing others's experiences.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people may see increased bloating, migraines, or increased cravings because of artificial sweeteners (though that last can be counteracted by tracking calories). Those people should probably avoid diet soda, though they can weigh the pros and cons for themselves and come to their own decisions. If you don't have any of those issues, then it's entirely about your preferences.

Personally, I chose to cut regular soda out of my diet because I find that it doesn't fit into my calorie and nutrition goals very well. But I still have a diet soda most days and my weight loss doesn't suffer.
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Sweet bubbly love in a can... I tend to agree. This is the one thing I give up every year for Lent (it's torture, I tells ya. Torture!) and that during the non-Lentin season you'd have to pry out of my cold dead fingers.

<3 Diet Coke forever! (in moderation)
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I just drank a Dr. Pepper. It fit my calories, but didn't taste as good as I wanted it to. :'(
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't drink diet or regular soda because they seem to make me more thirsty. I am all about sparkling water these days, though. Dasani and La Croix make some great ones.
  • tessr760
    tessr760 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love zevia since its zero calorie and free of artificial colors and flavors, plus it's super yummy (:
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I seriously have a problem. I never drank diet soda or much of soda in general before, but since I started counting my calories I have been on a diet dr. ppr KICK! I still get a lot of water in throughout the day, but I drink anywhere from 2-4 cans a day. Yowza. But it helps with my sweet tooth so that I don't crave anything else specially during my TOM. And I haven't noticed any side effects, so... I think I'm good :|