I want nice toned legs but there still wobbly ?!?

Options
I'm 24, female 8st 5, train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week ... My legs are toned in the sense that when I tense they are firm but when I'm not tensing ther all wobbly and you can't see any deffinaiton ! I really want nice clearly defined hamstrings ... Any advice ? Why am I not getting any leaner ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat, you'll need to eat at a calorie deficit. Are you doing that?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are 117 pounds but how tall are you? It's hard to give any meaningful advice without your height and possibly a picture because the issue could be excess fat or it could be lack of muscle mass. If it's the former, you'd need to either eat in a deficit to lose fat or eat at maintenance and continue lifting to lose fat plus build muscle. If it's the latter, you could either eat in a deficit (again to build muscle while losing some fat) or over maintenance to build muscle.
  • hollyblythes
    hollyblythes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 calories which i know is low but I've been told not to increase it too much too soon. I'm 5ft 4 and my fat used to be mostly stored on my legs and hips. I the. Lost two stone and now all of my weight gain is in that rubber ring of fat on the stomach. To look at I'm slim but I just have no definition
  • jemhh
    Options
    I'm currently on 1200 calories which i know is low but I've been told not to increase it too much too soon. I'm 5ft 4 and my fat used to be mostly stored on my legs and hips. I the. Lost two stone and now all of my weight gain is in that rubber ring of fat on the stomach. To look at I'm slim but I just have no definition

My guess is that it is a matter of you needing to build muscle. We can be whip-thin and not have definition if we're lacking muscle mass. This is something that a lot of people who are chasing 6-packs run into. If there's a lack of muscle, cutting more fat just makes you look like a smaller version of the same thing. My guess is that you'd be better served by upping your calories and continuing with your lifting program (are you following a progressive program?) than you would by continuing to cut. It sounds like you've made good progress with 28 pounds lost. Now it's time to build :)
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 24, female 8st 5, train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week ... My legs are toned in the sense that when I tense they are firm but when I'm not tensing ther all wobbly and you can't see any deffinaiton ! I really want nice clearly defined hamstrings ... Any advice ? Why am I not getting any leaner ?

Caloric deficit for you, with the quickness.
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

My guess is that it is a matter of you needing to build muscle. We can be whip-thin and not have definition if we're lacking muscle mass. This is something that a lot of people who are chasing 6-packs run into. If there's a lack of muscle, cutting more fat just makes you look like a smaller version of the same thing. My guess is that you'd be better served by upping your calories and continuing with your lifting program (are you following a progressive program?) than you would by continuing to cut. It sounds like you've made good progress with 28 pounds lost. Now it's time to build :)

I'm not on any weight program .. Maybe that's my problem. I do half my weight for legs 10 reps 5 times?
  • hollyblythes
    Options

Caloric deficit for you, with the quickness.

As In that's why I'm not toned ? So I need to up my calories ?

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Deficit.

Not surplus.
  • jemhh
    Options

I'm not on any weight program .. Maybe that's my problem. I do half my weight for legs 10 reps 5 times?

You need to follow a progressive program. It makes more sense to follow an established program as a beginner than to try to make your own because most beginners don't really know enough to make a balanced program. There are a lot of programs out there. Here are four of the many possibilities. I would not suggest trying to lose any more weight at this point. I would start by eating at maintenance and focusing on an actual progressive resistance program for a few months before assessing your results and determining your next step. Losing weight is not always the answer.

* Strong Curves - http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191
    * * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You need to be much clearer in your information....
    What does this mean precisely "train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week"
    What weights? What routine? What cardio? How long or how far?

To take it to extremes you could be training like a beast or playing with the pink dumbbells, walking on the spot or cycling 50 miles......

Are you at goal weight?
    Are you losing or maintaining at 1200 cals?
    "I've been told not to increase it too much too soon" - why? Trying to lose more weight or not?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am one of those women with really thick thighs. The definition will come when you continue to cut whilst on a really good weightlifting program as as @jemhh outlined for you. I will advise you while you are still cutting make sure your protein is around .8 to 1 lb/per body weight.

You are 1/2 my age and a newbie lifter, so you will see gains in the beginning, but this takes months and months to accomplish. Be patient and find you a program and stick to it..
  • hollyblythes
    Options

Are you doing the same weight, same reps each time?

Yeh .. I tried going up but I couldn't make it past like 7 reps is that ok?
  • hollyblythes
    Options

You need to follow a progressive program. It makes more sense to follow an established program as a beginner than to try to make your own because most beginners don't really know enough to make a balanced program. There are a lot of programs out there. Here are four of the many possibilities. I would not suggest trying to lose any more weight at this point. I would start by eating at maintenance and focusing on an actual progressive resistance program for a few months before assessing your results and determining your next step. Losing weight is not always the answer.

* Strong Curves - http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191
    * * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Thank you :) this will help loads ! I dnt know much about gaining muscle at all.
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    You need to be much clearer in your information....
    What does this mean precisely "train with weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 times a week"
    What weights? What routine? What cardio? How long or how far?

To take it to extremes you could be training like a beast or playing with the pink dumbbells, walking on the spot or cycling 50 miles......

Are you at goal weight?
    Are you losing or maintaining at 1200 cals?
    "I've been told not to increase it too much too soon" - why? Trying to lose more weight or not?

Sorry! Right so on my two cardio days I do

interval sprints (jog 1min then sprint 45 seconds for 10 mins)

) Xtrainer 15sec slow 15 fast as i can 30sec slow 30 fast as I can, 45sec slow 45sec fast 1min slow 1 min fast for 4 rounds

Then the stepper changing up again how fast I go.

Weight wise

I do a diff every session I dnt have a set plan but things like squats with 12+ Kg kettle bell, smith machine squats or lunches with 5-10kg each side depending what type of squat I'm doing. Lunges with dumbbells ( forwards, backwards and back to the side). Pulsing squats with no weight or a dumbbell. All of these and other types of things like that but it would take me years to write it all, I pick a few and do 10 reps 5 times.

Then leg press, curl and extension I do either single leg at 14kg or both legs at 25kg 10 reps 5 sets.

I also do donkey kicks and that type of thing with an ankle weight.

My upper body I dnt do much and I dnt need to to keep toned because I have very minimal body fat there.

I'm maintaining at 1200. I can assure u I work hard in the gym I never leave without looking a total mess. And I'm not trying to loose weight just body fat. I'm very carb sensitive so i can easily gain weight if I had a week off.

• hollyblythes
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    I am one of those women with really thick thighs. The definition will come when you continue to cut whilst on a really good weightlifting program as as @jemhh outlined for you. I will advise you while you are still cutting make sure your protein is around .8 to 1 lb/per body weight.

You are 1/2 my age and a newbie lifter, so you will see gains in the beginning, but this takes months and months to accomplish. Be patient and find you a program and stick to it..

Ok thanks for your help ! :)
  • hollyblythes
    Options

Are you doing the same weight, same reps each time?

Yeh .. I tried going up but I couldn't make it past like 7 reps is that ok?

It's not very productive. You should be aiming to increase either reps, sets, or weight (while keeping good form). Otherwise it's not adding much in the area of strength or retention of muscle mass. I agree with the suggestions here that you should start looking to a structured program of progressive lifting.

Ok thanks !
  • jemhh
    Options

Thank you :) this will help loads ! I dnt know much about gaining muscle at all.

I'd suggest getting the Strong Curves book. It will give you the workouts plus it talks some about nutrition and form.
  • hollyblythes
    Options

I'd suggest getting the Strong Curves book. It will give you the workouts plus it talks some about nutrition and form.

Ok thank you I'll give that a go!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm very carb sensitive so i can easily gain weight if I had a week off.
    That's usually just glycogen replinishment.

^ This. An upping of carbs will not cause you to suddenly gain body fat. It may cause an increase in water retention (hence the scale moving up), but this does not last forever.
  • hollyblythes
    Options
    If I eat carbs everyday I gain weight. My clothes dnt fit me anymore regardless of how long I've been eating them . Theres loads of fitness people out there who eat low carb high fat diets so surely this can be an actual problem for some people