Week 3 rut...new to it all

Options
Hi my name is Jill and I began using myfitness pal in March. I didnt use it regularly and actually gained 11 more pounds by the time I came back 3 weeks ago!!! I have been logging in everyday and monitoring my calories and exercising in some way everyday. In the first 2 weeks I lost 5 pounds, but this week, I'm stuck! I have not gained any weight but I have not lost any either. I'm not sure if this is normal or if its just me losing my momentum. I dont have anyone doing this with me...I have a few friends that are "dieting" too but they are all in the single digit sizes and I am sooo not, so its depressing when they volunteer to go for walks with me. And my husband is no help at all either, he usally just laughs at me. So anyways, back to the topic....is it normal to hit a rut this early or am I letting everything else get to me??? Thanks :)

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Yes. The first few weeks you are getting rid of water weight. Drink more watr and go for those walks,they obviously want you there. Do not give up.
  • Rheagansmom
    Rheagansmom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Definatley normal. Keep it up and keep moving. It will start to come off, and don't feel bad going for a walk with those friends. They are friends with you because of who you are and they want to spend time with you.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Wanting to give up is normal - the hardest part is making the change and getting used to it. I gained .2lbs this morning and spent the first half of the day reminding myself that it's all a part of my new lifestyle! These things take getting used to!

You can do this!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. Effort equals results, however, don't fret over them. Know that you are getting healthy for you!! The rest will take care of itself in time.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Be determined and stubborn, and the pounds will go.:smile: I'd say, don't worry so much about the numbers on the scale, but celebrate the positive behaviors. It seems like something in our heads has to click, ...... I know it is so easy to let your own health slide, when you have young children. But when you eat better and exercise, you will gain more energy to deal with the demands. Just don't apologize for taking the time to care for yourself!!! You're worth it!!!! One day at a time!!
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Keep going. I hate those scale days. Wait a few more days and weigh, the weight will prob make a big drop and drink lots of water!
  • ckoeneman
    ckoeneman Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Jill! Im new at this and am not an expert at what is supposed to happen and when but just stay focused on your goal. Don't let anyone discourage you, just pay attention to what your goal is and noone elses. Plus something I've always been told is the more you stress about your weight the more stubborn it seems to be. So just relax and the pounds should start to fall right off. I can tell you that once I started to relax the weight started to disappear (with some discipline in the food area and work in the exercise department of course) but right before I joined the myfitnesspal website I am proud to say that I have lost 20lbs even though I know my ticker does not reflect my overall results since I just started today:smile: One thing that has helped me is watching my portions (listen to your body when eatting so you can stop right when you're not hungy anymore), drink plenty of water, and I personally make a point to exercise 3-4 times a week for about 30-40 minutes. I know everyones different but this is what has worked for me. Good luck and I hope that this helped. If nothing else it gave you something to read for a while:wink:
  • essie112
    essie112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the scale. You are taking positive steps toward your health and that's the important thing. Also, if you're weighing yourself often, remember that it's best to weigh yourself at the same time of the day because our weights tend to fluctuate throughout the day. Best of luck and welcome to MFP!
  • delana10
    delana10 Posts: 5
    Options
    thanks everyone. I weigh myself every morning when I get up (or I should say when the baby gets up!) so it fluctuates a little between 6-9. I was excited this morning I shockingly had lost 1 more pound. So I'm at 3 weeks and down 6 pounds. I guess its all a step in the right direction, even if its not coming off as quickly as I would like!!