Best thing to eat before a work out??

Options
Hey! I find with work and rushing home and cooking and eating before making my way to the gym difficult but I do it everyday. I was just cooking and not eating before the gym and eating late when I get home, but was told that's not good for you.
So I've been eating meals before the gym and it makes me feel full and gross while trying to work out.
What's the best thing to do? Maybe something small before the gym and small upon my return?
Is eating late really not good for you?
Best thing to eat before a work out?
Thanks for the help

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Hey! I find with work and rushing home and cooking and eating before making my way to the gym difficult but I do it everyday. I was just cooking and not eating before the gym and eating late when I get home, but was told that's not good for you.
    So I've been eating meals before the gym and it makes me feel full and gross while trying to work out.
    What's the best thing to do? Maybe something small before the gym and small upon my return?
    Is eating late really not good for you?
    Best thing to eat before a work out?
    Thanks for the help

There's nothing wrong with eating late...it's a stupid myth that needs to die. I eat dinner in the evenings around 8:30. Eat when you want to eat...meal timing is irrelevant.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I rush home, grab my kid, head to his practice and and my gym to work out. I don't get home until 8:00 and then have dinner. I only eat before my workout if I am starving. Otherwise, I don't. It doesn't matter. The "it's not good for you" thing is woo. Do what works for you.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry before your workout, then you could just wait to eat dinner when you get home. If you're starving before the workout and don't have the energy to complete it, then eat a snack beforehand (something small with protein to fill you up would probably be good - hard boiled egg, nuts, cheese, yogurt, protein shake, etc.) and then have your dinner when you get home. I can't exercise on a full stomach, so I always workout right after work and have dinner after or have a snack and then workout!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I absolutely cannot eat within a couple of hours of my workout (either way). I think you are fine to eat later - that's pretty much a myth.
  • JenniferDianne123
    JenniferDianne123 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!! I hate eating before a work out! So I'll just go back to eating when I'm home no matter how late it is!!
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what time of day you eat as long as you are in a deficit. If you feel better with a light snack before your workout and a meal afterward then do that. You have to listen to your body, it's the best way to make this work.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I only eat before a workout if I'm actually hungry, and then I try to go for a granola/nut bar or something. Typically though I'd rather workout at least an hour after eating.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!!! I hate eating before a work out! So I'll just go back to eating when I'm home no matter how late it is!!

If you're not ravenous when you get back home after the gym, that works. Other wise, you're previous thought of something small before and after works too.

I used to bring protein smoothies to the gym to drink during and after, but now I eat before hand, cuz that doesn't bother me.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A banana an hour before working out. Dinner afterwards.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat my regular meal and workout 1 or 2 hours afterwards. If I don't eat and then go exercise, I feel tired and sluggish or if I eat and workout too soon, I feel too full and don't have enough energy to give it my all. Test different things and see what works for you. Trial and error.
  • allabouthegains
    allabouthegains Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat nuts like almonds and stuff quick easy protien. Best thing before a workout
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Whatever you want, whenever you want, according to personal preference.
  • tjsloff
    tjsloff Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I eat after I workout at night. You want to give yourself about 2 hours after eating before a hard workout (or at least cardio) workout. That's about how long it takes to digest some of what you are so it's not sitting in your stomach.
  • GirlOnFire319
    GirlOnFire319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite pre-work meals is oatmeal about an hour and half before my workout. I feel it gives me the energy I need. I cook it in water, I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein, and I add around 1/4 diced apple. It's delish!
  • GirlOnFire319
    GirlOnFire319 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    YvonneG319 wrote: »
    One of my favorite pre-work meals is oatmeal about an hour and half before my workout. I feel it gives me the energy I need. I cook it in water, I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein, and I add around 1/4 diced apple. It's delish!

Oh, I almost forgot my favorite ingredient...cinnamon!