Fitness Trackers?

Options
2»

Replies

• sakuya3834
    sakuya3834 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had the Charge HR, Blaze, and Garmin Vivosmart HR. I really hated the Garmin. It was inaccurate for me when I did the usual HR comparison tests to chest strap/machine reading. The Garmin would also never count my steps if I was holding my purse or a drink so it was really not great. But I have no complaints about the Fitbits.
  • MultipleHigh5s
    MultipleHigh5s Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    andy_dang wrote: »
    I researched obsessively for weeks until I decided that none of the fitness trackers are worth it. At least for me at the moment. Some people really find them motivating, but I think they are generally inaccurate. For example Unless you have a chest strap the heart rate monitor won't be accurate.

I have the Charge and although it is nice to have in your wrist, you might be interested in one of the ones that don't strap onto your wrist. The fitbit zip is $50 and seems like a good deal. It preforms basically everything a normal fitbit does minus sleep tracking. However the batter is not rechargeable and you have to replace it every few months.

Or ... I could spend 10-15 $ on a pedometer watch and replace the batteries once a year. Much less expensive! :)
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone Up3. For me I love it! It doesn't have a display but, you can set alerts that will make it vibrate when you hit certain amount of steps or there is the inactivity alert you can set to go off and it will go off if you don't move for a specific amount of time. I have found it helps me stay motivated to move and eat better because of the food Grade.
  • Selphie8
    Selphie8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin vivofit, and it really has increased my activity over the past three months. I didn't want to spend too much, which meant heart rate monitors were not an option for me. I chose the vivofit because it tracks sleep data and it has an inactivity bar; it glows red if I don't move for an hour, which helps me to exercise throughout the day. Without that reminder I worry that I'd leave it all until the end of the day and then despair at the idea of getting 10,000+ steps in before bed.

The vivofit also has the option of a self-adjusting goal; you hit your goal one day and it adds a few steps on the next day.

I've also found the iPhone app The Walk quite helpful in being more active. It's a 51 episode story in which you walk and unlock further clips which tell you a bit more. Each episode is between 60 mins to 90 mins; you gain achievements for completing them within 24 hours and without taking more than a 3 hour break without walking, but you can take as long as you need to. I've found 90 minutes is about 10,000 steps so it works out nicely!
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I researched obsessively for weeks until I decided that none of the fitness trackers are worth it. At least for me at the moment. Some people really find them motivating, but I think they are generally inaccurate. For example Unless you have a chest strap the heart rate monitor won't be accurate.

Same here. I weight lift as my main form of exercise, and through my research haven't came across a tracker that is useful for that. Ones that have wrist heart rate monitors are really only ideal for steady state cardio. I use a cheap waist pedometer in conjuction with a free phone app to track my steps.