Advice on weightlifting

Options
So I need any advice on how to go about creating a weightlifting regimen for a female. I lift weights now, but it doesn't seem purposeful of that makes any sense. Women's health seems to be geared towards those who are seasoned at lifting, i want to approach this as if I have never seen a weight ever.. Lol I would like to one day if it works out to transition into power lifting... So any advice you all throw at me would be helpful.

Replies

• ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Find a good program. Don't try to make your own. Starting strength is a good start.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Go to school, get a PhD, train clients for a good 10 years, then you can create programs.

Or, you can just copy some else's. Maybe Bret Contreras' Strong Curves?
  • agmaxwell0123
    agmaxwell0123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks
  • Strong_Savannah
    Strong_Savannah Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program to start with, especially if you're interested in the possibility of power lifting one day. I am 6 weeks into it myself. They have an app that's easy to use at the gym, too. You only do full body exercises - squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, and rows. In my opinion, these exercises make me feel like I'm accomplishing more than doing isolation exercises such as dumbbell curls, leg presses, etc. You definitely want to research proper form beforehand so that you don't hurt yourself if you've never done these exercises before.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Lol thanks

Seriously. Go with Strong Curves.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is a good intro into a direction of powerlifting, if thats the direction you wanna go. And if you have a powerlifting gym near you with coaches, you don't have to wait, you can go in as a beginner under the guidance of a coach, and they will get you on a program for your level and build you up.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Strong curves or strong lifts are both good beginners programs. Definitely do not try to create your own program. You'll wind up doing 4 exercises that all target the same part of a muscle group instead of hitting it from multiple angles.
  • CristinaBaker67
    CristinaBaker67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    03dq83uiu817.jpeg
  • CristinaBaker67
    CristinaBaker67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    stronglifts is a good intro into a direction of powerlifting, if thats the direction you wanna go. And if you have a powerlifting gym near you with coaches, you don't have to wait, you can go in as a beginner under the guidance of a coach, and they will get you on a program for your level and build you up.

So much this. Customized programming with hands on coaching will always trump cookie cutter programs. Especially if you have a desire to compete.
  • ShodanPrime
    Options
    What is toning?
  • agmaxwell0123
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice .... And I WILL NOT create my own workout... Lol
  • agmaxwell0123
    Options
    03dq83uiu817.jpeg

I don't have Facebook. But your progress is awesome

• agmaxwell0123
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Strong curves or strong lifts are both good beginners programs. Definitely do not try to create your own program. You'll wind up doing 4 exercises that all target the same part of a muscle group instead of hitting it from multiple angles.

I just brought the book on Amazon ... Thanks !
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What is toning?
    I am also curious as to what this toning thing you speak of is

• followblake
    followblake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    There are lots of beginning weight lifting programs for women. It is certainly not true that it's all geared towards advanced lifters, at all. All the programs listed in this thread are good, and there are many more as well.
  • agmaxwell0123
    Options
    What is toning?

I didn't mention toning in my initial question
  • ShodanPrime
    Options
    What is toning?

I didn't mention toning in my initial question

Someone edited posts. Lol.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Another vote for SL5x5 - I'm 3 months in and still enjoying it and seeing progress!