How do I help my boyfriend ween off the sugar? And other fat

Options
I cook for my boyfriend and he's very serious lately about eating healthier, I'd really like to help him, not push him. I'm looking for healthier alternatives to sugar, and other unhealthy foods like butter, white carbs, cheese, and I'm looking for more ways to incorporate veggies into his diet because he's kinda picky about veggies.

I've never been much of a sugar person. When I was 6, my mom asked me to get a treat at the grocery store and I headed straight to the produce section and got some brussel sprouts so I don't understand wanting brown sugar AND banana in my oatmeal. It's too damn sweet! Or three tablespoons of honey in my tea, it ruins all the flavor of the tea! My question is, how did you ween off sugar? And do you have any tips on how you started enjoying eating more veggies and whole grains? He likes broccoli. Smothered in cheese. And Asparagus, in a risotto which he covers with parmesean. He's like taking care of a 5 year old sometimes, I swear (; but I love him to death and want him to be healthy and stick around for a while and not die of a heart attack or something when he's 40. Also, any tips on motivating him to work out? He says he wants to but he never does.

*THIS IS HIS CHOICE, I JUST WANT SOME TIPS TO HELP HIM GET TO WHERE HE WANTS TO BE*

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    He's going to have to want it for himself. Be careful you don't drive him crazy trying to 'change' him.
  • Roo1026
    Roo1026 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In my experience with my husband, you have to wait until its his choice. It just wont work whenyou are trying to push him into it. Its very frustrating I know but you cant make someone do something they dont want to do. :grumble:
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    what i do with my fam is i dont bring it in the house, if they want it they get it..... which dont usually happen. Buy low fat cheese, maybe he will get the message sooner than later. good luck
  • kelsiehoagland
    kelsiehoagland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is his choice. He always says that he wants to eat healthier. I wouldn't ever push him to be any way other than how he is. I love him just how he is but I'm so pleased that he wants to eat healthier. I just don't know where to start. I don't know what to do to help him eat better. I cook for him so I figured it'd be good to get some tips. He's not quite into what I eat. An I'm a vegan so I can't taste 80% of what I make him. I just wanted tips to get him started. I'd never do this if he didn't want to change.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Everyone above me makes good points!

Also, try stocking the house with Truvia, instead. Helps me. :)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I also think he will have to want to make the changes himself. I used to have a major sweet tooth. It caused me to have a lack of success in the past. Once I wanted to change AND was willing to give up foods I used to love it was easy. Now too much sugar gives me a headache
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. This is something he has to really want for himself.

I don't enable. My fiance has a soda problem. The man can drink some soda... he can go through a 24 pack on the weekend. I had stopped drinking soda for a while, but one day... I put my foot down. I told him I wasn't buying it anymore. I don't have a problem with him drinking it and will have one myself every few weeks as a treat, but I'm not buying it. If he wanted it, he had to go buy it. So, he did for a bit... but then he felt bad about it and stopped.

He still has a soda at work, but one soda isn't as bad as the 10 or so a day he was consuming.
  • kelsiehoagland
    Options
    He wants this for himself! I'm only asking because I cook for him. I just need some tips so he doesn't feel like he's missing out on any flavor or anything.
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can not make someone stop sugar any more than you can stop an alcoholic. I am a sugar addict.

If your bf _wants_ to stop, there are things you can do to make it easier.

You didn't say if you live with him or not, so some suggestions may not apply.

- keep your home inventory of sweets to a minimum. I keep a bag of Brachs hard lemon drops in my pantry for emergency attacks.
    - find out what fruits he doesn't hate. Then try to keep a few around.
    - find out what deters him from eating fruit? I hate the prep time. I will eat cold apple slices, but if I have to take time to cut them, I'll pass. I also like oranges, but don't like pealing them or the white fiber residue. Etc.
    - Don't try to push diet food or sugar free stuff on him.
    - do what you can to keep him out of the grocery store.
    - buy a few sweets that are not his favorite, but he would eat in an emergency. This will make him less likely to make a run to the store when it happens. He won't eat as much of it, and the attack will calm before he charges to the store.
  • sister_bear
    Options
    Are you being too critical of him? Or is it possible he feels you're being to critical of him? Are you asking him to eat better or are you asking him to eat vegan?

You start off talking about sugars, but then mention cheeses.

I can ask my man to eat better without disagreement, but if I asked him to be vegetarian it would be a fight. He wouldn't have a problem with me being vegetarian. If I asked him to be vegan, it might end our relationship. lol I wish I wasn't exaggerating, but he has some baggage in that department.

What are you really asking him to do?
  • kelsiehoagland
    Options
    You can not make someone stop sugar any more than you can stop an alcoholic. I am a sugar addict.

If your bf _wants_ to stop, there are things you can do to make it easier.

You didn't say if you live with him or not, so some suggestions may not apply.

- keep your home inventory of sweets to a minimum. I keep a bag of Brachs hard lemon drops in my pantry for emergency attacks.
    - find out what fruits he doesn't hate. Then try to keep a few around.
    - find out what deters him from eating fruit? I hate the prep time. I will eat cold apple slices, but if I have to take time to cut them, I'll pass. I also like oranges, but don't like pealing them or the white fiber residue. Etc.
    - Don't try to push diet food or sugar free stuff on him.
    - do what you can to keep him out of the grocery store.
    - buy a few sweets that are not his favorite, but he would eat in an emergency. This will make him less likely to make a run to the store when it happens. He won't eat as much of it, and the attack will calm before he charges to the store.

Great tips. Keeping him out of the grocery store should be easy. He hates grocery shopping and only comes in because I pout haha. Thank you.
  • melinda104
    melinda104 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does he want to change? If not, you're wasting a lot of energy trying to change something that you don't have a choice in. I understand his love for sugar/sweet things because I've been that way all my life. It wasn't until I made the decision to make some change in my life that I was able to address it. But it took me well into my 40's to make the change.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    On diet: He has to want to change, from personal experience, if you nag a man he will not change :) The workout- Buy him a 6 month gym membership, find out if he has any friends who work-out and what gym they use. It's a nice present. Well then again, I once got a girlfriend an exercise bike for her birthday, so what do I know!!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You have two options, really. He can go cold turkey. The cravings, mood swings, and other unpleasant side effects of a sugar withdrawl will only last about 5 days and as long as he doesn't eat any more sugar he will never crave it again.

Or he can do baby steps. For the tea switch to stevia. For the oatmeal use a little less sugar each time, so on and so forth down the line. Bit by bit eliminate the sugar. As his tastebuds adapt he'll find the sugar he used to use overwhelming.

When my husband had to cut out all soda it was very hard for him for about a week. Then when he snuck one he about choked on how syrupy it was. He now has no desire for soda. He started drinking koolaid instead, it became too strong so we now dilute it in half. Now he's ready to go for diluted tea sweetened only with a single packet of stevia for an entire 4 cups. Soon he'll be ready for the 2 litre.

With him being so addicted to sugar, I would suggest the gentler approach of slowly backing down from the amount of sugar he eats now. It'll be gentler on him but it will take time and he has to be willing to follow through. Good luck.
  • sister_bear
    Options
    You can get pre-cooked, ready to eat chicken, steak, and imitation lobster/crab in the deli section. They're amazing for quick meals. You could make your food and then add some protein to his meal to satisfy his desire to gnaw on dead flesh.

There are a number of microwave steam-abe veggies in the freezer section. Some would probably be vegan, others have cheeses, etc. added to them, but they're pre-packed and pre-flavored. Better options than french fries and they taste great. I actually portion them out once made and we usually have some go in a tupperware in the fridge for another meal.

As for the cheeses, encourage him to measure out his portions, or measure it for him. You know what he's going to put cheese on, so beat him to the chase. Pre-measure the portion so at least he's not overloading it. He still gets his cheeses, but he's not eating all the cheese in the world.
  • kelsiehoagland
    Options
    Are you being too critical of him? Or is it possible he feels you're being to critical of him? Are you asking him to eat better or are you asking him to eat vegan?

I can ask my man to eat better without disagreement, but if I asked him to be vegetarian it would be a fight. He wouldn't have a problem with me being vegetarian. If I asked him to be vegan, it might end our relationship. lol I wish I wasn't exaggerating, but he has some baggage in that department.

I'm not asking him to DO anything. He's asking me for help being healthier. I'm asking myfitnesspal members to help me ween him off sugar, because that's his main "problem" (according to him, not me) and also for tips on cutting down fat from cheese and about switching white carbs to whole grains and what I should do to amp up the flavor.

He doesn't think his foods taste as good unless they're smothered in butter, sugar, cheese, etc. Cheese is generally unhealthy in the amounts that he eats it. I would never push my beliefs on anyone. Being a vegan is for me, not him. I'm down with cooking him **** with salmon, healthier cheeses or less cheese, etc. I just want tips on cooking healthier for a non vegan because I don't know what tastes good because I choose not to eat a lot of what I make for him. I just want to know how to keep the flavor but get rid of the crap.

I feel like everyone is completely misunderstanding this post, I may delete it because this is aggravating the hell out of me.

I'm not pushing anything.
    I'm not trying to change him.
    I'm trying to help him eat the way he wants to eat.
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I feel like everyone is completely misunderstanding this post, I may delete it because this is aggravating the hell out of me.

If you decide to delete it, do it soon. After a short period of time, you can no longer even edit your forum posts. (been there!)

You might just edit your original post to clearly point out that your bf has asked for help. Some people never read the rest of the thread before they respond.
  • sister_bear
    Options

I'm not asking him to DO anything. He's asking me for help being healthier. I'm asking myfitnesspal members to help me ween him off sugar, because that's his main "problem" (according to him, not me) and also for tips on cutting down fat from cheese and about switching white carbs to whole grains and what I should do to amp up the flavor.

He doesn't think his foods taste as good unless they're smothered in butter, sugar, cheese, etc. Cheese is generally unhealthy in the amounts that he eats it. I would never push my beliefs on anyone. Being a vegan is for me, not him. I'm down with cooking him **** with salmon, healthier cheeses or less cheese, etc. I just want tips on cooking healthier for a non vegan because I don't know what tastes good because I choose not to eat a lot of what I make for him. I just want to know how to keep the flavor but get rid of the crap.

I'm not pushing anything.
    I'm not trying to change him.
    I'm trying to help him eat the way he wants to eat.

Calm down. :smile:

I was just asking. I gave you a few tips in an earlier post that might be helpful.

Remember, we're communicating via the interwebs and none of us really know each other. When we read a post we fill in missing information with our own life experiences and we've all known a food disciple. If he's willing, it's that simple. Just take what he's doing and slowly make changes that are for the better. And remember, tiny steps are sometimes huge accomplishments.

You might also check out the recipe section. Some of those recipes could be modified to be vegan and then you could add meat/cheese to his portions.
  • kelsiehoagland
    Options

If you decide to delete it, do it soon. After a short period of time, you can no longer even edit your forum posts. (been there!)

Thank you. I think people are actually finally deciding to actually read everything that I wrote.

I'm not a pushy nag. That's not my style. I know everyone on here doesn't know me, but I think I've written enough times now that I'm not pushing him that people will begin to understand. Maybe.
  • kelsiehoagland
    Options

Calm down. :smile:

I was just asking. I gave you a few tips in an earlier post that might be helpful.

Remember, we're communicating via the interwebs and none of us really know each other. When we read a post we fill in missing information with our own life experiences and we've all known a food disciple. If he's willing, it's that simple. Just take what he's doing and slowly make changes that are for the better. And remember, tiny steps are sometimes huge accomplishments.

You might also check out the recipe section. Some of those recipes could be modified to be vegan and then you could add meat/cheese to his portions.

Thank you, I'm sorry. It's early and I'm not a morning person (: It just got aggravating that everyone was posting the same thing when I felt like I was pretty clear, but I probably wasn't... because it's morning haha. Thanks again, good tips (: