Need some help and support to stop eating so much

Options
munchyys
munchyys Posts: 3 Member
43 year old here, i've been using MFP for a while, but first time posting. My confession: I love eating too too much. During the day, despite working a desk job, I often feel hungry and eat to satisfy that. At nights, I have come to realise I eat to occupy my time because I spend a lot of time in front of the tv or the computer.

my doctor has recently told me that I'm likely suffering from premature arthritis, and told me he needs me to lose weight excessively (his word!), as my BMI is considered morbidly obese.

Like I said I've been using MFP for a while, combined with some light jogging 2-3 times a week. I gave up the jogging 2 months ago (painful knees urgh).

Previously I set my goals to 1,200 calories a day (not much I know) but I ended sabotaging myself instead. i burn through 1,000 of those easily by 5pm (I eat out all the time), and then decide that whatever, no point trying to keep to the 1,200 limit since it's already bombed, and then go way over that. day after day.

I decided last week to stop sabotaging myself. Set it back to 1,600 a day. It's not going to help me lose any weight I know, But I feel a lot better when at 5pm when I see that I still have more than half the calories to spare, and it's easier to then keep within the limit.

long rant here, but ultimately my question is, how do I stop the excessive eating habit? help? :smile:

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would start by setting your calories to what MFP gives you for your height/weight and set to lose 1 to maybe 1.5lbs/week. I would make sure you are drinking enough because it will make you feel fuller. I would walk instead of jogging at this point. Put on a podcast and walk. I'm at a healthy BMI and I eat 1300cal/day or more and I'm still losing 1lb/week. You don't have to starve yourself to do this but setting your calories too low will just frustrate you.

The truth is that some of this is just sheer willpower. It is choosing an apple when you want a piece of cake. But it is also okay to have a small piece of cake if you make it fit in your calories for the day. If you look at my diary, you can see a person who is losing weight but isn't starving.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you are eating from boredom, you need to find ways to engage your mind and body. Try to get up at regular intervals during your working day and do something. Doesn't have to be "exercise". Ask your boss if you can get other assignments - there have to be arrands to be run or something. At home, stop watching TV and have a time restriction on your PC. Go for walks instead.

Have you calculated your maintenance calories? I don't know your height and weight, but I'm sure they must be more than 1600. How do you know you are eating the amount of calories you are eating?
  • munchyys
    Options
    thanks for your replies. Based on MFP, I should be consuming 1,200 calories a day to lose about 1lb a week. But sometimes it's really hard, and like I said, I end up sabotaging myself.

I want to try cutting down from 1,600 to 1,400 and then 1,200 over a month or two. Is that advisable, or totally unnecessary?

jandsstevenson887, you're right, it's really willpower sometimes. I actually found it easy to cut most sweet things from my diet, and now trying hard to use the same method on savory food and, worst of all, carbs.

kommodevaran, I'm sorry, i never did the research in maintenance calories, so I don't have that number. If I keep busy at work, it's quite easy to stop reaching for a snack. A lot of the snacking happens at home and late at night. I'll definitely have to stop a lot of my TV and PC time.

Wish me luck more willpower!!
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If your BMI is truly morbidly obese, 1200 is probably too drastic of a cut for you and you will end up sabotaging yourself. What did MFP put you at when you entered your current height and weight? I would guess that it's higher.

I'm at 1500 calories per day to lose 1 pound/week, and my BMI is not morbidly obese.

I also fall into the snacking in front of the TV problem. My advice is to (a) stop watching TV and go do something active, like taking a walk or a jog, or (b) find something to do with your hands. I cross-stitch sometimes, and I also have adult coloring books. Both keep me from eating.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I would start with being honest with yourself and connecting with what's happening for you. Reading your original post, it sounds a lot like on some level, you don't really want to change. Think about what's holding you back and what it would take for you to be ready to make that change. I get the feeling reading your post that there's a lot of self loathing and shame happening inside of you and that will have an impact on your ability to make changes. I realize this is some pretty hippy dippy sounding crap I'm spouting off. It's not about weird pseudoscience and healing crystals and magic potions, but more dealing with your mental health and hangups in order to allow personal growth to happen.

That being said, some actual things you can do right meow:
    • You mentioned considering cutting down slowly rather than all at once. Yes. Very yes.
    • I also struggle with what I call "study munchies" when I'm at the computer or at work. I've found that chewing sugar free gum and/or snacking on raw vegetables, drinking water and tea have been really helpful.
    • Distract yourself with other things. Go for walks. I know people who take up knitting or crochet, I enjoy painting or playing my guitar.
    • Focus on small goals. When I find myself backsliding, I set a goal to be under my calories one day in the week, and slowly build that up until I'm back to logging and being under consistently.
    • Know that it will take time to build these habits. You will backslide many times. Just keep going. You can do it.
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    You aren't putting something right into MFP. There is no way it is giving you 1200 cal/day. What is your weight/height?
  • jandsstevenson887
    Options
    And you don't have to cut carbs. Check out my food diary today. Does that look like a starving person?
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    In the end, all we can do is offer advice. YOU are the one who ultimately motivates yourself.

Think about why you want to lose weight. If it's for a reason other than "I, MYSELF want to", it's going to be difficult to maintain that motivation. Changing your body and health is an intensely personal experience - your reasons need to be personal, as well.

Regarding grazing and feeling powerless... again, it helps to change your thinking. I've had the exact same problem most of my life - my weakness is rich, savory food, and I often found myself eating while bored, upset, frustrated, stressed, sad, happy. If it helps... I found it helpful to think about WHY I was eating. And I found that eating was a way for me to focus on something pleasant instead of the feelings themselves. It was easier to claim I had no self-control around food than to acknowledge that I wasn't dealing with my thoughts and feelings in a healthy manner. I also found it helpful to stop thinking about it like "ugh I have no self-control, why bother" (I've been guilty of it!), and more "I am in control. Do I truly want to eat this?" And sometimes the answer is yes - but you eat it more mindfully. It's okay to trip up sometimes. Just acknowledge it and make changes as needed. I went over my calories yesterday more than I intended (chips and salsa appetizer shared with Mom) - but I made peace with it and moved on. Resolve to make YOU the one in control - not your guilt, and not your food.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm older than you, but I absolutely see my younger self in you. How many years I spent with that nagging, awful feeling that I simply had to stuff my face all day every day, and any idea of change was hopeless. And yet, when I finally changed, it wasn't hopeless at all. It was completely straightforward. I came here, got a calorie budget, started doing beginner-level treadmill work 45 minutes every day, and like magic, the number on the scale started falling. I do think it helped a lot that I started at about 1800 calories a day (5'5") (not eating back any exercise calories), and only gradually reduced as my stomach shrank and hunger stopped distracting me every day. Now I'm at 1200-1250. A big change was getting used to entertaining myself with something besides food. One great thing about exercise is that, while you're doing it, you ain't eating. But even when I'm watching TV, what keeps me from stuffing my face is a new approach to my food: I have a budget, and I can't exceed it. That means I plan my meals, they have to fit within my budget, I serve myself the right amount, and when I've eaten that much, that's it. The leftovers get put away and that's it for food until the next meal--or the next day. No impulse eating. At first I would have thought that would leave me feeling deprived, but to my surprise it hasn't. I still eat the food I love most, because why waste my budget on anything that isn't my favorite right at that moment? But if I feel I'm just dying for something that won't fit in the budget, I remind myself that it will still exist tomorrow, and if it's that important, I'll fit it into tomorrow's budget.--Yes, it's a little trickier if you eat out a lot, but even then, you can order small portions like appetizers, and put half of them into to-go containers before you start. Nothing goes on the plate in front of you if it isn't in your budget. Pre-logging meals is hugely helpful.

I think one thing that's hard about contemplating a large and long-term weight-loss program is that you have to give up on pleasurable food-stuffing right now, but the payoffs come later. One thing that helped me was to start to see consistent small losses every week, which I strongly associated with controlling my intake and doing my exercises consistently TODAY. If you can make that connection deep in your gut, you'll have a new source of deep satisfaction that takes the place of whatever it is deep in our primitive brains that wants to gorge in order to feel good.

I spent years thinking I'd be fat until I died. Now I've lost 57 pounds in five months. If I can do it, anyone can! You totally have got this.
  • WendyLaubach
    Options
    PS, things didn't start to change for me until I worked up the courage to post a real picture of myself and make public my current weight, my age, my height, and my food and exercise diaries. Somehow that breaks the fog of denial and starts to connect your daily activity to the reality of your situation. Besides, you're going to need a good "before" picture, because you'd be amazed how soon you won't be able to remember what you looked like.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I think that starting at a higher calorie count, even 1800, and slowly bringing that down is a very good plan. I calculated what my calorie count would be to maintain my goal weight (140), then subtracted 150 from that to arrive at my daily calorie goal of 1600. Theoretically I could go ahead and keep my 1750 calorie count to maintain a weight of 140, and I would slowly, very slowly, lose down to that weight. I might end up doing that. So far my main problem has been making myself log everything, and of course I don't know the number of calories I'm eating if I don't count them.

As for exercise, do what you can, even if it's just walking around your house a few times or getting up from the chair, then sitting back down, then getting back up ...

Take up a new hobby that occupies your mind and hands. When you're trapped at your desk, drink tea instead of eat. (These are things I do.)
  • munchyys
    Options
    HI all, thanks so much for all your encouraging posts :smiley: for those asking, I'm around 195lb and 5'2 (converted from metric). As for why MFP set me at 1,200 cal a day, I'm not sure. maybe because i set my activity level at not very active (truly, i sit at a desk 9 hours day). And i don't log my exercise on MFP. Honestly I didn't do much research on MFP, just jumped straight in with height, weight and goal and started logging food. I'm sorry if that's frustrating.

If I'm honest with myself, exercise isn't a problem for me, my only setback is love of food and a weak will I think. I started C25k mid of last year, after years of not exercising and was planning to slowly build my way up (maybe do the 8 week program over 4-6 months). But now jogging/running is out of the question, so I have to find other forms of excercising (doc recommends swimming, but I shudder at appearing in public in a swimsuit), and diet has become more important than ever.

The thing is, I'm in Singapore, and if any of you have been to, or live in, Asia, you will know it's much much faster cheaper to get ready-cooked (but much more unhealthy) food. By the time I get home from work, it's almost 8pm, I haven't had food for 6 hours, and very honestly, I'd rather wait 2 minutes for a hot, cooked meal, than spend another 20-30 mins prepping and cooking.

I'm going to monitor myself again for a while, and probably if it gets too difficult, i might readjust back to 1,500 calories a day and decrease by 100 every couple of weeks. I'm also going to try pre-logging meals as well. Will also be checking back in to this community more regularly!
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi and well done you for taking these steps towards changing your health :)) Every little success you have is a step in the right direction rather than further down a road to an early death. It is so, so easy to massively over consume calories in our modern world and it sounds like your lifestyle and location are going to make it doubly difficult. But ultimately this IS in your control - you just have to fight harder! You have to really want it. And like another poster wrote that starts with you valuing yourself and wanting to take care of yourself. We all have reasons for overeating and self sabotaging: self-esteem issues, abuse in younger (or older years), poverty, neglect etc. Some of us cannot pinpoint a reason for continued self abuse. But for me, once I started to realise that I am the one person who will always be there for me and be available to love and reassure me, I'd better work on how I view myself. Stop loathing and start loving. You'll find you want to take care of this person that you love rather than this person you loathe. :))

So, for me starting at 185lbs (5'7) I began back in September by reducing my calories but eating frequently. Nothing low fat as I believe it messes with the natural balance in foods. I have space in my calories for treats every day. I pretty much gave up alcohol (hundreds and hundreds of calories in a few glasses of wine).

My advice is to LOG EVERYTHING on MFP. It's a ballache and takes a bit of getting used to but it can be done whilst flumped in front of the pooter and it is the only thing that has ever worked for me! It's taught me to understand the nutritional content of food. And how we massively overestimate how much we need and we massively underestimate how many calories are in things. I recommend a little digital kitchen scale to weigh things - even breakfast cereal etc. Eat out as rarely as you can manage. It's probably loaded with salt, fat and sugar.

Exercise: do things you enjoy. C25K is a bit dull in my opinion. Find a local yoga class or swimming group. I completely understand about not wanting to be the fattest one there but for a while you are just going to have to be. It won't be long before someone fatter joins as you are going to SHRINK! Walking is also excellent. Build in movement throughout your day rather than suddenly taking up extreme sports. Surely you want these changes to be sustainable. :)

The weight comes off quickly to begin with but now that I am 8 months in it's a waiting game!

Loads of people will probably pick apart my advice, disagree and even be a bit rude. That's the nature of forums. I rarely give advice now for that very reason - it can be pretty hurtful. These are just my little experience and advice. Discard whatever doesn't make sense for you or sit comfortably. Most of all I wish you and everyone on here all the very best as we all strive to be our best selves xx
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same height and started out at a very similar weight. Sounds like you know where your weaknesses are which is great! Now you can take some steps to help yourself avoid them. If you find yourself needing quick healthy meals for after work, consider getting a slow cooker/crock pot and pre cook meals so you can grab something healthy out of the fridge/freezer when you get home. I pre-make as much as I can (both lunches and dinners) so I can pre-log - I find it makes it easier to stay on track if I don't give myself any opportunities to slip up!

And start walking or maybe riding if you can't run - any 'time on feet' is time well spent. Try even commiting to three times a week for 20 minutes when you start out and see how you go with that. Good luck with it :)
  • 1972jamie
    1972jamie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you dont want to eat less and you dont want to fix healthier foods for yourself. Why are you here again? And don't attack me for my point of view.....You're all thinking it, but too PC to say it.
  • WendyLaubach
    Options
    If I were surrounded by Asian ready-cooked food, I know I'd want to eat all of it! But you can eat all that great stuff, if you adopt the straightforward (if difficult) practice of cutting the portion down to the right size, something that pretty much requires weighing and consistent logging. You needn't give up your favorite foods, but you will have to eat less of them. They'll still be great.