what's the problem with my plan?

Options
I'm supposed to be losing 2 lbs. Per week and it's not happening. I lost my first 15 just fine. I weigh my food and spend a half hour on the elliptical every day burning 300 calories which I don't eat back. I do breastfeed, and eat those calories, only 300 though. That's how much I think I feed my baby, because she eats table food now. Even if I don't feed her that much, I am only overeating maybe 100 calories a day. I don't know what the problem is. I eat 1500 calories a day.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are weighing accurately and everything, it could fit under the "weightloss isn't linear" reason. You don't state how long this stall has occurred. Has it been less than 6 weeks? If so, it isn't a true plateau. Just keep trucking. Make sure that you are updating calorie goals as you go. It is recommended every 10lbs. Although at 15lbs, I'm doubting that as a reason for a stall.
  • sarahpedrys
    sarahpedrys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Assuming you are weighing accurately and everything, it could fit under the "weightloss isn't linear" reason. You don't state how long this stall has occurred. Has it been less than 6 weeks? If so, it isn't a true plateau. Just keep trucking. Make sure that you are updating calorie goals as you go. It is recommended every 10lbs. Although at 15lbs, I'm doubting that as a reason for a stall.

I didn't know that weight loss isn't linear. Thank you for letting me know that. This has only been happening for the last week, so I will Keep On Truckin LOL
  • Densans
    Densans Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »

I didn't know that weight loss isn't linear. Thank you for letting me know that. This has only been happening for the last week, so I will Keep On Truckin LOL

So called "wooshies" happen after some time, for example after some time dieting I can go without losing any weight in 4-5 days and then a "woosh" happens and I lose 1-2lbs over night, so never expect a linear weightloss
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you're set to 1200 calories before breastfeeding, then 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a goal for you. That's the minimum MFP will give you to make sure you're getting enough nutrients. You'll probably be better off aiming for 1 pound a week.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Also remember to readjust your calories after every 10-15 lbs lost. If you don't know how just go to goals and then switch it to maintenance or sth and then switch it back to whatever loss you want...it should give you a bit different calories (unless you are already at 1200). There might be a different way to do this but I only know of this one :D
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    300 for a half hour on the elliptical is very generous in my opinion. Are you going by the elliptical read out or are you wearing a heart rate monitor? An average burn rate for running a mile is right around 100 calories.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to be losing 2 lbs. Per week and it's not happening. I lost my first 15 just fine. I weigh my food and spend a half hour on the elliptical every day burning 300 calories which I don't eat back. I do breastfeed, and eat those calories, only 300 though. That's how much I think I feed my baby, because she eats table food now. Even if I don't feed her that much, I am only overeating maybe 100 calories a day. I don't know what the problem is. I eat 1500 calories a day.

It is very hard to lose 2 lbs. per week while breastfeeding. I hate to say it but unless you are considering weaning your baby you need to maintain or lose slowly. You will produce less milk on a calorie deficit. I almost dried up just adding long walks with the baby to my day. Everyone's different but I know your circumstance is not the same as the norm. Also, don't forget that ample milk is a heavy liquid and will cause a higher scale reading. Consider weighing yourself before and after feeding the baby to see how much she's feeding.