HELP!! Stuck at a plateau...any tips?

Options
I've been going strong until I hit 70 lost about 4 weeks ago. Since then I haven't lost a pound. It's my first plateau since I started in August.

Any tips that you can offer me to break out of this slump?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Tighten up your logging. Start weighing things you had not thought of weighing before. Double check you have logged all cooking oil and condiments. Be careful on on the weekends.

Also, have you adjusted your weight on the app? Your TDEE is likely lower after 70 lbs lost.
  • jswigart
    jswigart Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    What are your current calories intake? How much do you exercise? You could actually be eating too little. It's hard to help without more facts. Make your diary public so I can see what your eating.
    Most of all, don't give up. I've lost 90 pounds and hit many plateaus along the way. It will come. It's worth the wait!
  • grammyvjc
    grammyvjc Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    70 pounds, how awesome! I too have hit a plateau so I was reading about plateau busters after "googling" it. One of my favorite things I read was part of the reason for plateaus. It said that after doing the same exercises and eating the same foods and calories for a period of time, your body becomes accustomed to it and thinks it is the new normal. Suggestions included making changes in what foods you eat as well as how many calories you are taking in to try to trick your body out of starvation mode. It also suggested if you do the same exercise daily, you shake it up a bit. Add something new, alter the intensity. Basically it was saying your body has reset its metabolism and you need to give it a nudge again. Good luck!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    As you lose, you get smaller and your calorie needs are less, so logging accurately is key. I'm at a point where i'd have to go too low in calories for 1/2 pound a week, so I am losing so very slowly now, so I try and incorporate as much movement as I can in my day.

So get as accurate as you can with your logging, try to move a little more and be patient. :)

And your body isn't in "starvation mode," that's a myth unless you're actually physically starving, so please don't listen to that.
  • jakeycork
    jakeycork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Re-calculate your calories or simply take 100 off what you have been tracking already and note any changes.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    70 lbs is awesome!

Change things up a bit. Eat different foods here and there and incorporate new things in your exercise plan. Your body is probably just used to the same things. Make sure you weigh and measure all that you eat. If you usually eat the calories back that you burn when exercising then try not to do that for a while and see if you see any change.
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips.

Looking back at my diary I see my calories are all over the place between 1300 and 1800 is most common. In March I did a BMR test at my dietitian's office and she noted that my metabolism is in 67th percentile for my age group (42) and that to lose a pound per week I could eat 1550 calories.

I also work out daily. Five days hard (running and lifting) and two days are active rest days (yoga and walking).

• catsdogsh
    catsdogsh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    agzram wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips.

Looking back at my diary I see my calories are all over the place between 1300 and 1800 is most common. In March I did a BMR test at my dietitian's office and she noted that my metabolism is in 67th percentile for my age group (42) and that to lose a pound per week I could eat 1550 calories.

I also work out daily. Five days hard (running and lifting) and two days are active rest days (yoga and walking).

• catsdogsh
    Options
    How do they measure how good your metabolism is? My Dr basically said I have the most sluggish metabolism on earth. I can only eat 1,200 calories and exercise at least 900 and not eat back any and lose only 1 pound a week. 42 years old and 5 foot 2 inches. Curious now how they measure metabolism.
  • catsdogsh
    Options
    catsdogsh wrote: »
    How do they measure how good your metabolism is? My Dr basically said I have the most sluggish metabolism on earth. I can only eat 1,200 calories and exercise at least 900 and not eat back any and lose only 1 pound a week. 42 years old and 5 foot 2 inches. Curious now how they measure metabolism.

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I had to breath into this machine for ten minutes with my nose plugged and try not to hyperventilate! It was strange but once I got used to it I was fine. The machine spits out the reading after analyzing your breathing.

as99a5bl5jr1.jpg