I think my fitbit one is overestimating steps

Options
So i have just got home after being out since half 8 and my fitbit says ive walked almost 9000 steps.

I did three bus journeys in this time, have added them to the activity log and there is now gaps in my chart so i assume they have been removed. But for atleast 30 minutes it says i have walked over 500 steps every five minutes which seems way over what i think i actually did. Yes i was walking in the time, i walked about 1 mile in 20 minutes or so but surely that does not mean i walked 100 steps a minute?

I wear the fit bit clipped onto my bra is that makes a difference. Thanks

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A mile for me is about 2300 steps, so that sounds pretty accurate
  • whippy7
    whippy7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its a common problem
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My fitness bit counts steps when I fold laundry
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Test it out. Put the fit bit on, walk for a bit and count your steps. Now look at the fit bit and see if it matches your count. I test mine every now and then and it's always spot on for walking.

It will count steps for activities other than walking/running and I have no idea if that correlation is even close, but for walking my Fitbit Charge HR is pretty spot on.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have a One that I keep on my bra and I average about 100-110 steps a minute at my walking pace as well, so I think it sounds pretty accurate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Looking around online a mile typically takes walking more than 2000 steps. So 100 steps per min for 20 mins would be roughly 1 mile.
  • Determinedtoloseliz
    Determinedtoloseliz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, didnt realise it was so easy to get 10k steps then!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I clip mine onto my bra too. I have heard people clipping it onto their shoes and that really bumps up the steps

If you have the app on your phone. Watch it move as you move. I think where you have it placed will give you much more realistic figures. But technology I guess can mess up like anything else
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Zip and I did several tests with counting steps as I go and checking and it counts less clipped to a bra and a bit less but darn close to truth on the side of low pants-next to the hip and counts more in the pants pocket so I never put it there. I have a route I go for a short walk...it's about 33 min of faster walking and it gives me about 4000 steps. It takes me just over 40 min for 5000... so no, getting to 10 k isn't a problem. I know many people that average 20k+ daily.