Losing weight when you stop worrying about it?

Options
So I've noticed over the past few years it always seems like I lose the most weight when I stop worrying about how much I weigh.. If that makes any sense. I have a bad habit of checking my weight everyday and I feel like I'm always happier whenever I stop checking it for a while.. But really it could go either way, sometimes in the past I've checked it and saw that I was a lot more than I thought and other times I've checked it and been 15-20 pounds less than I thought. Does anyone feel similar about this?

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Haha, the only thing that happens when I don't weigh or worry about it is that I gain!! I wish I'd lose that way ;)
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It may help you mentally to not worry, but that in and of itself doesn't help you to lose weight.You will only lose weight when you maintain a calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Weight management is a numbers game and a mind game. We need food to live, and eating is pleasureable for most people, so it makes sense that trying hard to eat less can make us want to eat more. We need to keep just the right level of attention without obsessing, and eating just the right amount of food to maintain weight or lose slowly, if not, all our effort will backfire.

I recently discovered that I no longer worry about regaining weight. But I've known for a long time that the only way I can maintain weight, is by making it as easy as possible. For me, weighing every day is a great help to not worry, but pay attention, and keep in mind that every day counts, but no single day will make or break my effort.

Grr. I realized you asked about worrying about your weight, not about eating :s But I'll leave it here, maybe it's not totally off topic.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    No, I wish it worked that way for me.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If I don't focus on weight loss - I put weight on :neutral:
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    Well I meant mainly just not checking the scale, but still eating right and excercising.. I do better when I'm not stressing out about how much I weigh
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Ahh well if just not checking the scale, yeah there's a lot less worry. I had to stop weighing for awhile, and then once a week. I'm in a better place mentally and I've started weighing daily this week so I can chart the trend.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be here if I could eat and not worry about calories. Just saying...
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Well I meant mainly just not checking the scale, but still eating right and excercising.. I do better when I'm not stressing out about how much I weigh

If that works for you, awesome! Lots of people weigh themselves once a week, twice a month, etc. Whatever works for them. Some people, like me, love data, and track daily weight to help understand their bodyweight fluctuations! Its all personal preference and what makes you happy!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Ya, Scooby recommends one not micromanage weight loss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOjsmqo1x8k
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good point. It's not about obsessing over a number on a scale, it's about trying your best to integrate healthy habits, movement, and food into your life. I do better as well when it's not about the number but about my habits and doing the best that I can in every moment.
  • JemPuddleduck
    JemPuddleduck Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every week rather than everyday. I feel like I would get a bit obsessive if I did it everyday. Nice to just focus on your food and lifestyle and then see the result at the end of the week and then restart.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I said not worrying about your weight, I didn't say anything about calories. Trust me, I have to watch what I eat too.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Ya, Scooby recommends one not micromanage weight loss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOjsmqo1x8k

Wow, thank you for posting! This video was very helpful, I'll admit I am inpatient sometimes when it comes to weight loss, and when I check I scale I do EXACTLY what he said, celebrating when the number is lower and beating yourself up when the number is higher..
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    I weigh myself every week rather than everyday. I feel like I would get a bit obsessive if I did it everyday. Nice to just focus on your food and lifestyle and then see the result at the end of the week and then restart.

I've done that before in the past and I found it a lot more effective than weighing in everyday. I'm thinking about just doing a scale fast for a while though, I used to have an eating disorder and I overcame it, when I check the scale often I get very obsessive over it. Sometimes I just need to take a step back and stop worrying so much about weight loss and just live my life. If that makes any sense...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I said not worrying about your weight, I didn't say anything about calories. Trust me, I have to watch what I eat too.

... but it's the same thing. If I stopped worrying about my weight, I'd stop being so careful about what I eat, and I'd gain weight back.