False 'gain' on scales - hit me with the science!

Options
I know there's lots of knowledgable folk out there and I need your help!

I started 30 day shred a few days ago and I have seriously sore legs! My lower body really isn't used to that so I know that the 'gain' I saw on the scales this morning is water - I'm eating at a deficit and there's no way I've eaten enough for a 1.5lb fat gain.

But, the number on the scales is kind of psyching me out. I'm the girl who only ever did crash or fad diets before, the number on the scales was everything and even though I've lost 52lb the healthy way it's still freaking me out a bit. I'm hoping I can fix that with science and logic!

So, why/how does the body hold on to water after exercise? How long will it last, considering I'm doing this every day and not having days off? Is there anything I can do to make it go away?

Replies

• joncooper1980
    joncooper1980 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day!! 2-3 times a week should be enough. Always at the same time of the day and always in the same state of dress.

Honestly you started a few days ago - you don't really need to be weighing yourself this soon. Forget the scales for now.

As for the science - If you are feeling sore then you are experiencing DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). This is tiny tears in your muscle (which is fine. This is how they grow). The tears cause inflammation to protect the area and inflammation requires extra water. Its not uncommon to see a weight increase of 4-5 pounds during this process.

Another reason is that as you start strength training your muscles start to store more glycogen which is the body's natural energy source. your body requires water to store glycogen so more glycogen=more water=more weight.

Basically once your body adapts to the exercise you are doing it will no longer require the extra water.

Hope this helps
  • philippakate197
    philippakate197 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself every day!! 2-3 times a week should be enough. Always at the same time of the day and always in the same state of dress.

Honestly you started a few days ago - you don't really need to be weighing yourself this soon. Forget the scales for now.

I haven't just started. I've been losing weight since last summer - 52lb so far, by myself, no fads or gimmicks. I joined mfp last week to get the last 20lb off, having counted calories in the past and found it useful.

I've been weighing myself daily for the whole of that 52lb, I realise it's not for everyone but it works for me. I like understanding how my body reacts to things and when it naturally fluctuates. I have never done exercise of this level of intensity so this is something new that I want to learn about.

As for the science - If you are feeling sore then you are experiencing DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness). This is tiny tears in your muscle (which is fine. This is how they grow). The tears cause inflammation to protect the area and inflammation requires extra water. Its not uncommon to see a weight increase of 4-5 pounds during this process.

Another reason is that as you start strength training your muscles start to store more glycogen which is the body's natural energy source. your body requires water to store glycogen so more glycogen=more water=more weight.

Basically once your body adapts to the exercise you are doing it will no longer require the extra water.

Hope this helps

I thought it wasn't possible to build muscle with a calorie deficit? Is that what you mean by the muscle 'growing'?

Thank for your help.

• hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think they meant just started as 'just started insanity/exercise'
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its not real gain, your muscles are holding onto extra water to repair the little tares that the new workout regime has caused. Don't sweat the small stuff :smile:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its surprising that in 52lbs of weight loss you never saw a fluctuation on the scales until now?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with weighing everyday but there's a lot wrong with freaking out over a temporary fluctuation.
    Food in your GI tract, hormonal fluctuations, water fluctuation from sodium, soreness or bloating are all normal.
    Get used to it or you will have a miserable and anxious time when you hit maintenance.
    "Science and logic" - If you want to see the trend rather than the daily fluctuations use a weight trending app perhaps?
    How long will it last?
    Depends on the severity, depends on the individual, doing the same thing everyday isn't going to give your body the chance to recovery quickly. Learn to listen to your body, pushing yourself is good but don't step over the line into obsession or promoting injury. You have just started a new routine - give your body time to adapt (tendons, ligaments and joints as well as muscles).

Do something different perhaps while you are sore - active recovery like walking or swimming for example.

• joncooper1980
    Options
    I thought it wasn't possible to build muscle with a calorie deficit? Is that what you mean by the muscle 'growing'?

Thank for your help.

Correct, you can't build muscle in a calorie deficit (although body recomposition in your first 6 months of serious lifting is very possible). Exercise, especially when involving weights, will still cause microscopic tears in the muscle fibres, hence the soreness. when you are in a calorie deficit your body can only repair the muscle. It requires a calorie surplus to also increase the size.

Like the post above says your body needs rest so active recovery is good advice. You can also foam roll because some of the soreness can be tension in the muscle.
  • philippakate197
    Options
    its surprising that in 52lbs of weight loss you never saw a fluctuation on the scales until now?

Oh I have! Although I lost pretty steadily until about February this year. I like learning about the fluctuations though, what causes them, how my body reacts to different routines etc. That's what I'm trying to do this time, as this kind of exercise (fairly intense, daily, no rest days) is something new for me.
  • joncooper1980
    Options
    You should really think twice about not having rest days. Burn out can happen very quickly!
  • philippakate197
    Options
    You should really think twice about not having rest days. Burn out can happen very quickly!

From what I've read, although I'm happy to be wrong, the 30 day shred is intended to be done over 30 consecutive days? Although I'm pretty sore it feels manageable.

I was considering taking Monday's off, as its my usual day at uni and I leave the house at 8am, home after 10pm and it would tricky to fit it in.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    When I work out really hard or work out different muscles I always have a gain. It's the muscles retaining water for repair. I also experience the same when I have too much sodium in one day. I have a gain the next day.

I also weigh daily. I only track it on Mondays but weigh daily to see my fluctuations during the week and how my eating or activity level affected me each day. But also keep in mind that your body is doing a lot more than just focusing on losing weight for you - so you have to factor that in when weighing so often. It's not always just the food you eat or the exercising you do or hormones that will affect your weight.
  • fvtfan
    fvtfan Posts: 126 Member
    Options

From what I've read, although I'm happy to be wrong, the 30 day shred is intended to be done over 30 consecutive days? Although I'm pretty sore it feels manageable.

I was considering taking Monday's off, as its my usual day at uni and I leave the house at 8am, home after 10pm and it would tricky to fit it in.

I think you are still supposed to take rest days with that program - 30 days means 10 days, 3 levels - not necessarily 30 days in a row...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    Intense workouts help with water weight gain in 2 ways....................muscle recovery and glycogen storage. Both can add up to 5-7lbs of excess water retention.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png