5k Preperation

Options
Hi everyone. So lately I've been thinking about signing up for a 5k. Just wanted to get some advice from those that have done one before.

Replies

• sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm not signed up for any races, but I'm doing the C25K program. I really like it. It's a free app on Android. I assume it's free for iPhones too.
  • nb78
    nb78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have walked several 5ks but my goal this year is to run one by the end of the year. I am starting Zombie Run training app this weekend. When is your race? I haven't signed up for one yet.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    . Just wanted to get some advice from those that have done one before.

Is there anything specific you would like advice upon?

The biggest thing I would recommend is to just show up and have a great time. Runners tend to be a nice bunch of people so don't feel intimidated.

You probably won't be the first to finish, you probably won't be the last. Start somewhere near the back of the pack as a matter of courtesy if you're not that fast. Run your own race and pace according to what feels comfortable to you you.

Smile. Enjoy the medals and the freebies.

Expect to do many more...

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I ran 5 k without stopping or walking on Monday. First time for me. Even a few months ago I wouldn't have thought I'd ever be able to do it.

There are a lot of programs and training plans out there. I didn't use one, but most people seem to. You should at least look at them. What I did was run occasionally and add mileage slowly, always resting a few days after "long" runs before running again. I didn't focus on speed at all, but I've been getting a little bit faster lately, I think that just comes naturally.

If you have a Garmin, here are four free training plans for getting ready for your first 5k that should be compatible with your device: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/explore/training-plan
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Have you got any friends to run with?

I recently agreed to sign up for a 5k with some friends. A couple months ago, when i agreed, it was despite the vague anxiety that i HATE running and don't really want to do it.

As the early-bird registration deadline approached, i realized it was time to "put up, or shut up" so i went ahead and registered.

That seemed to flip a switch in my head, actually signing up to run. Now that it was really gonna happen, i downloaded c25k on my phone, and set a near date to run.

This morning i finished Week 4, Day 3. I have completed every session from Week 1 Day 1, and while i had a tough start of it, as i expected, i am surprised to learn that i'm actually looking forward to my morning runs, and the 5k itself.

They're still a challenge; it isn't easy for me to run. but my sense of accomplishment is amazing, it's a great way to start the day, and i've found that within the first couple weeks, my legs have strengthened enough that after the initial fatigue, i'm not sore from running.

I even just generally feel better, and i find myself re-dedicated to counting calories and generally being healthier.

Now i'm looking at my first 5k, two weeks from tomorrow, with excitement and anticipation. I know that i'll complete it, maybe not fast, and maybe not running the full time, but i will complete it. And then i'll have two more weeks of the c25k program to complete, and running will be part of my life from now on.
  • needtolosethirty
    needtolosethirty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love everyone's answers! This is great, makes me feel motivated and eager to start training. I guess I want to know how long I should train before running one. Super excited for it thanks again everyone
  • nb78
    nb78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think most of the begining programs are 8 weeks. I cannot run for more than 5 mins.
  • MrsMizzart
    MrsMizzart Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Go for it!

I've just started the C25K programme, well, restarted as did day one of week one a week ago but couldn't fit in the two runs needed to complete the first week. Please note I use the term 'run' loosely as I can't run to catch a cold! But, I'll get there, eventually :smiley::blush: Going to see when Friend wants to do it, but we'll be running our first 5k together sometime this year :smiley:

Good luck OP. I'm sure you'll enjoy it :smiley:
  • rldeclercq4
    rldeclercq4 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Download Couch to 5K. I just finished week 6 yesterday and have been able to run up to 25 mins without stopping so far