gaining instead of losing HELP!!!!

Options
Okay, so I have been doing JM Ripped in 30 and am in the middle of week 1. I have done mile walks on the days I don't do the dvd and I have been under my calorie goal on most days. But, I weighed myself today, before breakfast, and have gained a pound instead of losing. : (

Amanda

Replies

• VictorinoDennis
    Options
    bump I want to see what they say.
  • TwinMom12409
    Options
    So glad I am not the only one! I am doing 30 Day Shred and Couch 2 5K 3 times a week and have have gained 4 pounds in 9 days. Would love to know what is going on!!
  • Actavella
    Actavella Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your are starving your body. You have increased your activity, probably from being sedentary for a while? And your calorie intatke is sharply decresed! I don't know how much you are eating every day calories wise. But I would say your body is reacting to these dramatic changes and may be in some shock. Give your self time and eat more, never eat under your calorie goals because you are shocking your metabolism and some have done seemingly irreversible damage to their body. You must feed the machine! Hope this helps a little!
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have always been told muscle weighs more then fat. Maybe you gals are gaining muscles? Maybe try doing your measurements when your weight is up. Sometimes that makes me feel better if I haven't lost much.
  • kels67
    kels67 Posts: 41
    Options
    This ismy first week of doing Chalean Extreme and i have gained 5lbs so far. which has freaked me out hust alittle. But i do think its just my muscles retaining water:smile:Which could be the same for you guys too!
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Most likely, it's your muscles retaining water. You will see a lot of times, after a workout, that you are gaining instead of losing. Keep up what you're doing and drink plenty of water and you will start seeing a loss.
  • Allysonm6380
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer or anything but my brother is and he says sometimes you are building muscle and so it causes weight gain since muscle weighs more but that if you stick to it and keep your diet under control you should see results in the next couple weeks. I also do Jm 30 day shred and run. Stick with it you can do it!!!!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating. Try not to fall very far(less than 50 cals) below your target. If you have just started it could be water weight because sore muscles will retain a bit when first starting a new exercise program. Drink a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day and give it a week or 2, I bet you see positive change by then!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    maybe ya'll need to increase your calories....how many calories are you eating? Your body might be telling you it needs more to let go of the lbs.......increase by 100 to 200 cal a day and give it a week to see what happens. I eat on avg 1400 to 1450 a day. Good luck!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Could be related to sodium intake, which aids in the water retention. I ran a half marathon three weekends ago and made the mistake of having Chinese food afterwards and I was up two pounds the following day. Check your sodium intake. That might be what's doing it.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    it's very possible that you are losing fat but gaining muscle. And since, by volume, muscle weighs more than fat it's possible to see a gain in weight initially. I had the same result when I was doing 30 DS. Try taking your measurments once a week when you weigh. Since ultimately the goal is to be smaller this will give you a good idea if you are losing fat. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your are starving your body. You have increased your activity, probably from being sedentary for a while? And your calorie intatke is sharply decresed! I don't know how much you are eating every day calories wise. But I would say your body is reacting to these dramatic changes and may be in some shock. Give your self time and eat more, never eat under your calorie goals because you are shocking your metabolism and some have done seemingly irreversible damage to their body. You must feed the machine! Hope this helps a little!

That could be it too.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so I can't check, but I agree with what everyone else has said:

1) Make sure you're eating enough that you're not putting your body into starvation mode,
    2) It's possible that you are losing fat & flab but gaining lean, fit muscle. Have you measured yourself to see if you are losing inches? How do your clothes feel? Sometimes the scale isn't the best judge of what's going on with your body.
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is my 2nd time doing the shred, I did it last summer too.. I didn't lose very much weight, but I dropped a size in pants in the first 3 weeks.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    eat your calorie goal (not under it by too much) and at least 1/2 of your exercise calories.. food is fuel.. and if the body thinks it is not getting enough fuel, it hoards the food you do give it as fat.. aka.. may not see any weight loss. *S*

eat enough fuel.. body recognizes it's safe to not hoard fat anymore.. et voila! weight loss! *S*
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    You will often see an increase when starting a new workout program, as the muscles retain water to help with repair. Also, you may have just had a high sodium day, which will result in retained water. Might help to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/160943-why-the-scale-lies
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to fluctuate because of muscle mass, water retention, diet and other things that you can not control. Weight is a good guideline to how healthy you are getting, but how you look, inches, and health are what is important. My diet and my exercise is completely on point and I weight 2 pounds more today than yesterday. Did I mistakenly injest 6000 caloriesOVER my limit and gain 2 pounds of fat. No. Relax, eat healthy and keep up the good work, you're going to look great.
  • abbz17
    abbz17 Posts: 39
    Options
    Here are a few questions:

Have you been sedentary for awhile? if so, you could be gaining because your body is building muscle.

How much under your calorie goal are you eating everyday? If you're way under your goal, your body is storing fat because it feels like you're starving it. Try resetting your activity level, you may need to be eating more.

Are you weighing yourself all the time? if so, STOP! You'll drive yourself crazy with the numbers. Only weigh once a week

Are you drinking enough water? This is very important in shedding the weight. I've heard that if you take your weight and divide it in half, you should take that number and drink that many ounces of water a day. If it's hard for you to drink water, like it is me ( I hate a lack of flavor) try adding the 0 calorie packs of juice etc. I personally all Real Lemon brand lemon juice (0cals) to my water. I've heard that lemon juice helps burn fat. To me, a little flavor makes it go down a lot easier.

How is your mind set? I know some people think it's crazy to think that some things are mind over matter, but it's true, if you believe you can do it you will. If you don't you won't.

Hope this helps :wink:
  • CrochetGator
    CrochetGator Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    maybe ya'll need to increase your calories....how many calories are you eating? Your body might be telling you it needs more to let go of the lbs.......increase by 100 to 200 cal a day and give it a week to see what happens. I eat on avg 1400 to 1450 a day. Good luck!

I eat close to 1400 everyday.
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Muscle actually doesn't weigh more than fat-- it's more dense so 5 lbs of muscle will take up less space than 5 lbs of fat (ie you'll look tighter but be at the same weight). It could be like what was mentioned above--excess sodium, dehydration, I'd follow all of those suggestions! :D