Advice on weightlifting

Options
2»

Replies

• howekaren
    howekaren Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I also like Strong Lifts, but I can also highly recommend New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. Lays out routines and has lots of helpful illustrations on how to properly perform lifts. Also has a lot of great information about nutrition and even recipes. Great resource.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    What is toning?
    I would imagine it's gaining muscle and losing fat?

• sgthaggard
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    What is toning?
    I am also curious as to what this toning thing you speak of is

I didn't mention toning in my initial question

Someone edited posts. Lol.
    The OP didn't. When someone edits, it says so at the bottom of the post (see howekaren's post above).
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    What is toning?

The OP didn't. When someone edits, it says so at the bottom of the post (see howekaren's post above).

The they were removed, because there was chatter regarding toning.

Which isn't a thing, regardless of what the 80s said.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    What is toning?
    That would be called recomping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, you can go out and find a cookie cutter program and it will work for a while. Then you can jump to another cookie cutter program and maybe that will work to. I've been through it all for the past 5 years. I've done so many different programs, that they don't work for me any more. My recommendation is to check out Mind Pump. They are a fitness podcast, that will completely shatter everything you know about fitness. Listen to a few of their shows, they have have built a program that takes you back to the basics of weight lifting, which is what I am doing now. They teach you about eating right and living right. And they throw in some humor as well. I do advise though, they do enjoy some foul language, but the content is unmatched. Check them out. Best of luck!
  • agmaxwell0123
    agmaxwell0123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    alexzenk86 wrote: »
    In my opinion, you can go out and find a cookie cutter program and it will work for a while. Then you can jump to another cookie cutter program and maybe that will work to. I've been through it all for the past 5 years. I've done so many different programs, that they don't work for me any more. My recommendation is to check out Mind Pump. They are a fitness podcast, that will completely shatter everything you know about fitness. Listen to a few of their shows, they have have built a program that takes you back to the basics of weight lifting, which is what I am doing now. They teach you about eating right and living right. And they throw in some humor as well. I do advise though, they do enjoy some foul language, but the content is unmatched. Check them out. Best of luck!

I will check it out too.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What is toning?
    That would be called recomping.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    AKA 'toning'. I would say that most people who ask about 'toning' have no idea of how to get that look that refer to as toned, but losing fat and gaining muscle or recomp is pretty much it.
  • sgthaggard
    Options
    What is toning?

The they were removed, because there was chatter regarding toning.

They remove posts that use the word 'toned'? That seems rather draconian. I guess look forward to them removing mine.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

So you're saying wearing my leotard and my sweet leg warmers while doing my progressive lifting program might be unnecessary?

80s-aerobics-o.gif

In on-topic news...
    Stronglifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting for Women

The latter two have books, I tried them from the local library before I bought them.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have done Stronglifts, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and am currently doing Strong Curves.

I like using a program and these three have been excellent. I started with Stronglifts and it was a great introductory to heavy lifting.