sciatica

Options
I was just diagnosed with sciatica. I was wondering if anybody else have good through this. I hate not being able to exercise, or even sitting for any significant tine with pain. I was given some muscle relaxant, but it seems to be taking it's time to work. Any one know how long it take to get over this condition?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I've had bouts of it, its difficult to exercise when you're in agony, some find walking helps, my last sciatic bout lasted 6 months but that was around 4 yrs ago and when I was heavier. Since I lost weight and got active I've not been bothered at all (ok the odd twinge but nothing major)- makes me think that extra weight and inactivity had a lot to answer for it :/
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to take NSAID's since taking with another medication i am on can cause stomach bleeding. I am going on a week ofhaving bad pain. I think I might be on themends, cause i needto get back to normal soon.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've had bouts of it, its difficult to exercise when you're in agony, some find walking helps, my last sciatic bout lasted 6 months but that was around 4 yrs ago and when I was heavier. Since I lost weight and got active I've not been bothered at all (ok the odd twinge but nothing major)- makes me think that extra weight and inactivity had a lot to answer for it :/

This is the first time I have had it. I am now within 5 pounds of my goal weight. I am now 165, never had it while I was over 300 pounds. I exercise daily. I walk about an hour evrey day. It may not be as much as I used to when I was a dog walker, and was able to lift regulerly. But I was able to do my cardio daily before the pain got to be too much for me.
  • jaeisla
    jaeisla Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    CBD oils help with the pain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Alot of people swear by Cod Liver oil/Glucosamine - I take cod live oil myself, have done for a few years, perhaps it really does 'oil' the joints :smile: @panda_brat sounds like you're having a really tough time with your sciatica and I fully empathise with you.
  • Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok so crazy I saw this post. I've had sciatica for 8 months. Doing everything I can to prevent surgery.
    If you would like to friend me we can converse about it.
    Please don't stay immobile no matter how it hurts . A pool, stretching on a flat surface anything to keep moving.
    There are many exercises online for sciatica .
    Also the exercises depend on cause : pirifornis syndrome , herniated disk , stenosis .
    Please request an MRI if it goes any further.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica when I was pregnant, and I found these exercises on WebMD which were quite helpful: webmd.com/back-pain/living-with-low-back-pain-11/five-back-pain-stretches. It's a video, FYI.

The supine hip flexor stretch was a miracle for me.
  • phillyhockeyfan
    phillyhockeyfan Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have herniated L4-L5 discs in my back. When it decides to "act up" it puts pressure on my sciatic nerve causing sciatica. In the beginning I was on advil and pain meds daily. I went to physical therapy (though I believe it was more for the discs then sciatica). It just randomly went away day (was in pain for a few months). It's been awhile since I've had any trouble.
  • spickard34
    spickard34 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    For me I go to the Chiro and foam roll every night (google it) also the figure four stretch lots. I don't stop working out it makes it worse for me if it bad I stick to walking only
  • nate82873
    nate82873 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this for 15 years post lower lumbar fusion at L5S1 and three separate times of breaking my back .I'm sorry , but you often have to just deal with the pain because people (docs) just think your drug seeking. A lot is mind over matter, focus on what you want to accomplish that moment . After 15 years of agony I found a pain management Doc that is now helping . Exercise is hard as hell but you have to just fight thru the pain just like I and many others do. If you are on Facebook I recommend a group ( invisible disabilities) they have awesome forums on how to deal with life while in pain.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested I might have this because of some lower back pain that kicks in regularly that makes both sitting down and standing up uncomfortable. Doctor never said anything other than give me some stretching exercises to do (which I was doing already anyway). It has not helped, but I'm loathe to go back because their answer to anything is to usually stop doing any exercise which inflames it and put up with it.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    First, you really need to get to the Root of WHY your sciatic nerve is flaring up. Sciatica is not a condition, it is a result of something. Piriformis syndrome, herniated disc, inflammation near the nerve, a cyst. I have had it from the last 3 reasons. A cyst that came after a car accident and was on the nerve, a bout from the disc and I have some stenosis, and then again with inflammation from another car accident. Pain in the butt... This last time I had 4 cortisone shots to help the inflammation. What's helped most this time is working out, losing weight, and stretching.

You can't really do anything for it unless you know what's causing it. Good luck!
  • StephanieJane2
    StephanieJane2 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have had it on and off for years, I find that I can cycle but find walking hard, just had cortizone injection which seems to be helping
  • sarahfadell87
    sarahfadell87 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    I was just diagnosed with sciatica. I was wondering if anybody else have good through this. I hate not being able to exercise, or even sitting for any significant tine with pain. I was given some muscle relaxant, but it seems to be taking it's time to work. Any one know how long it take to get over this condition?

I had this.. My GOD, it so sucks.

I couldn't walk much (not even enough to go shopping or anything.) could only stand for short amount of time, even sit short amout of time..

It sucked so bad.

They told me i needed surgery but nobody told me i could see a chiropractor.

Except my aunt. I opted for the chiro..

Try it out, i was down for 9 months..

Chiro fixed me up in like 2..
  • rebelriesling_
    rebelriesling_ Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I developed sciatica after playing roller derby and sustaining injuries from the sport. I am only able to get back into a decent exercise routine now after two years.. It does flare up from time to time but mostly it bothers me when I haven't stretched or warmed up properly. There are some really great stretches online - just google stretches for sciatica and do them when it bothers you. Alternating heat and ice is also good to reduce the pain.
    For a long time I had a doctor who told me it was due to my weight... Which we all know isn't necessarily true. I am finding though that the flare-ups are less now that I have 37 pounds gone, but I wonder if it's because the muscles around the nerve are strengthened.
    I know it sucks but incorporating small bits of exercise can help :)
  • becknomad
    becknomad Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have had this for 4 months a literal pain in the butt!!! It is so miserable. Nothing seems to help it get better for me an I've tried acupuncture, PT, craniosacral therapy, multiple meds, walking and swimming. I had an MRI which showed a herniated disk in L4-5 pushing on my nerve. I will get a steroid shot in a few weeks and hopefully this will help with pain. I can only sleep for 4 hours before I wake up with pain in my behind. I so get your pain! Things that have helped me: keep moving! Static positions worsen the pain, lay on a ball or pile of pillow to open up the back joint, don't bend over - only squat down, I got an arm grabber to help pick things up on the floor. Hang in there!