Are short rest periods between weightlifting considered cardio?

Options
If heart rate is sky high during the short rests (30 seconds)?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    No
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Well, it will increase your calorie burning slightly, if that's your goal. The downside is it could negatively affect your form and your effort level on your weight lifting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No.
    Circuit training is to cardio what rowing is to strength training.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Unless you're doing active rest between sets (jumping jacks,burpees, etc.) then no.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Unless you are jumping on an exercise bike, a treadmill, or running laps around the room; then no. If all you are doing is standing, sitting, or walking/meandering about, then it is not cardio.

If you ran for 45 minutes and your heart rate was still elevated 15 minutes would you say you ran for 45 minutes or an hour???

Heart rate being sky high does not count as cardio. There are plenty of non-cardio/non-workout causes for a high heart rate
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It's not strictly a cardio exercise but it certainly will improve your cardio/conditioning to a degree. As a replacement for running or whatever...no.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i used to do circuit training with short rest periods. i kept my heart rate up and judging by how much longer i could run after i did it for a few months, i'd have to say it can count as cardio, but it depends on how you do it. that being said, i didn't work out as heavy when i did the circuit training as when i did when i was simply strength training, but i didn't go light, either.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    NO unless you are doing things fast and in succession.
  • tristanoconnell
    tristanoconnell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    you can achieve a cardio style workout (intervals) but measuring and watching your heart rate. During the exercise it should go up and then you should allow it to come back down into the 130s (provided your getting above 145 during exercise) - this does have an interval cardio training effect.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If your strength training session is one hour, you count it as one hour with rest included.

If your timed circuit is 15 minutes, you count it as 15 minutes with short rest periods included.

Both strength training and circuit training can be logged under cardio.

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Heart rate increase during strength training is not the same as heart rate increase during cardio. It doesn't have the same cardio effect.

If you decrease the weight to increase the cardio effect (due to the lower resistance), then obviously you won't get the same strength benefit.

As always, you need to have clear goals and choose the exercise that will meet those goals.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Heart rate increase during strength training is not the same as heart rate increase during cardio. It doesn't have the same cardio effect.

I call *kitten*. Or, more politely, do you have a reference for that?