Calories

Options
Tonight my family wants chili for supper but I'm wondering how to calculate the calories and nutrition facts for the meal as I use ground turkey, canned chili beans, canned diced tomatoes, canned pintos and chili season from the pack so do I just scan all the ingredients one at a time to get the calories? Each canned item says the serving size is 1/2 cup

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Custom recipe. Scan all ingredients total (Not just the serving size), then divide by X, where X is the serving.

So, if all the ingredients make 18 cups of end product, divide the totals by 18 to get nutrition per 1 cup.
  • kansascutie81
    kansascutie81 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for helping me
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I have a pen and pad with me when I start a new recipe. This is what I do. Weigh the pot. Weigh each ingredient as you add it. When it's done, weigh the finished pot full of deliciousness, then subtract the weight of the pot. I build the recipe in MFP as it's cooking and just make it 1 serving until it's done and I can calculate servings based on how much it weighs. I log 1 ounce as a serving size, but that's just my personal preference.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You can also weigh the final cooked product...depending on how much you make. I do this with my stews and curries. Last one was 2kg and I made each serving 200g
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    The only bad thing about weighing the finished product is that my kitchen scale only goes up to like 11 pounds I wish there was a app where you can scan all the ingredients and it adds it up with the proper serving size. I know all the calories for my chili is 320 calories total and it says on each can 1/2 cup serving size. The chili beans alone have about 6 servings per can and I use 2 cans for my family, the canned diced tomatoes are 3.5 servings per container and I use two of those and then of course the seasoning pack which isn't but 20 calories and then the ground turkey 160 calories- I really wish there was a app though that allowed a person to put in say chili and scan all their ingredients and it totals it up with the right serving size per person.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The only bad thing about weighing the finished product is that my kitchen scale only goes up to like 11 pounds I wish there was a app where you can scan all the ingredients and it adds it up with the proper serving size. I know all the calories for my chili is 320 calories total and it says on each can 1/2 cup serving size. The chili beans alone have about 6 servings per can and I use 2 cans for my family, the canned diced tomatoes are 3.5 servings per container and I use two of those and then of course the seasoning pack which isn't but 20 calories and then the ground turkey 160 calories- I really wish there was a app though that allowed a person to put in say chili and scan all their ingredients and it totals it up with the right serving size per person.

This is gonna sound totally weird, but when I have a very heavy or large dish (my kitchen scale only goes to 5 pounds and it's small) , I use my bathroom scale to weigh the finished cooked dish. I have large heat pads to put on my counter, so I put that down and weigh it first before I put the pot on.
  • coreyreichle
    Options
    You don't need to weigh the end product. Divide end product up into X, and divide total cals from ingredients by X. X being whatever value to use to chop up end product.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Does your recipe have the serving size included in the recipe? I just use the serving size that's given and measure that way. I've never gone to the trouble of weighing the pan and each and every ingredient and I've lost 21 lbs since Feb. I don't know how necessary it is but I guess I should. If the serving size isn't listed, I do use the recipe builder and figure that 1 cup will be a serving as that seems normal. This is probably not the way to do it but something is working. :smile:
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    joobey wrote: »
    Does your recipe have the serving size included in the recipe? I just use the serving size that's given and measure that way. I've never gone to the trouble of weighing the pan and each and every ingredient and I've lost 21 lbs since Feb. I don't know how necessary it is but I guess I should. If the serving size isn't listed, I do use the recipe builder and figure that 1 cup will be a serving as that seems normal. This is probably not the way to do it but something is working. :smile:

Yes it says 1/2 cup
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    Custom recipe. Scan all ingredients total (Not just the serving size), then divide by X, where X is the serving.

So, if all the ingredients make 18 cups of end product, divide the totals by 18 to get nutrition per 1 cup.

Okay I just scanned all the ingredients to my chili but when it asked for how many people it serves there are only 5 in my family including myself. I may be doing something wrong though cause it's saying 37 calories for one cup
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    When I looked up turkey chili with beans in the search on mfp I found one that was verifies by mfp as 220 calories per serving which to me sounds more realistic than 37 calories for one cup should I use the one that's been verified? The only problem I have there is I don't know if they used canned chili beans, canned diced tomatoes
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

My kitchen food scale goes up to 11 pounds, and I weigh full pots of stew, chili, soup, etc. in my stew pot (Dutch oven) without any problem (of course, my Dutch oven is post-WW II vintage cast aluminum, so I guess it's lighter than stoneware or enameled iron).
  • coreyreichle
    Options

Okay I just scanned all the ingredients to my chili but when it asked for how many people it serves there are only 5 in my family including myself. I may be doing something wrong though cause it's saying 37 calories for one cup

Did you take into account the full calorie count for the entire can of initial product? Can of beans has 100 cals per serving, and 6 serving in a can, so you add 600 to the total calorie count. Stewed toms, 30 cals per serving and 5 servings per can, so you add 600 + 150 = 750. Ground turkey, 100 cals per serving (1/10th lbs), you used 1 lb, so 1000 cals total. 1000 + 750 = 1750.

Now, you're feeding 5, so its 1750/5 = 350 cals per 1/5 of the entire pot.

* Note - These numbers are examples. I have no idea if the cals/serving and cals/total ingredient is correct.
  • kansascutie81
    Options

Did you take into account the full calorie count for the entire can of initial product? Can of beans has 100 cals per serving, and 6 serving in a can, so you add 600 to the total calorie count. Stewed toms, 30 cals per serving and 5 servings per can, so you add 600 + 150 = 750. Ground turkey, 100 cals per serving (1/10th lbs), you used 1 lb, so 1000 cals total. 1000 + 750 = 1750.

* Note - These numbers are examples. I have no idea if the cals/serving and cals/total ingredient is correct.

Okay using your example tell me if I have this right (sorry I'm not real good with math at all)
    Diced tomatoes has 30 calories and 3.5 servings per can, bush's chili beans has 110 calories and has 6 servings per can, ground turkey has 160 calories and is 1.25 pounds. Adding the two cans together 116 + 33.5 = 149.5 the ground turkey added into the mix is 161.25, adding them all together I got 310.75 now divide that by the number of people I'm feeding (5) I got 62.15 calories per cup
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

Okay using your example tell me if I have this right (sorry I'm not real good with math at all)
    Diced tomatoes has 30 calories and 3.5 servings per can, bush's chili beans has 110 calories and has 6 servings per can, ground turkey has 160 calories and is 1.25 pounds. Adding the two cans together 116 + 33.5 = 149.5 the ground turkey added into the mix is 161.25, adding them all together I got 310.75 now divide that by the number of people I'm feeding (5) I got 62.15 calories per cup

I think the math would be 30x3.5 = 105, 110x6=660 then add them all together. If you're using whole cans you need to multiply your calories by the number of servings in the can. 105+660+160=925. 925/5=185 calories per serving
  • kansascutie81
    Options
    Thank you, as I said I'm not good at math (it's a flaw) lol
  • capaul42
    Options
    Thank you, as I said I'm not good at math (it's a flaw) lol

I work in finance. Numbers I can do :smile:
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It would be 105+660+160 x (how many servings of turkey are in 1.25)= total/# of servings. So how many servings of turkey are in 1.25 lbs.? Assuming one serving is 3 oz cooked then there are 6.67 servings so 105+660+1067.2=1837.2/5 = 367.44 calories per serving of chili.
  • Bronty3
    Bronty3 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You forgot to multiple the calories in turkey by how many servings there are in 1.25 lbs. so the calorie count would be higher.
    capaul42 wrote: »

I think the math would be 30x3.5 = 105, 110x6=660 then add them all together. If you're using whole cans you need to multiply your calories by the number of servings in the can. 105+660+160=925. 925/5=185 calories per serving

• capaul42
    Options
    Bronty3 wrote: »
    You forgot to multiple the calories in turkey by how many servings there are in 1.25 lbs. so the calorie count would be higher.

[/quote]

Considering most recipes call for 1 or more lbs of meat, I figured OP was using the whole package, hence no need to figure out servings of ground turkey.