BCAA yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Just ordered some BCAAs.

I train fasted most days. I usually struggle to hit my protein goal. I am in a deficit trying to cut fat.

Are BCAAs for me?
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    soba82 wrote: »
    Eh, waste of money. But if you like it.

Lol yeah I do. It's working so far. So I'm assuming all y'all have used BCAA before and didn't like it or see a diff?

Yup.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Fit4LifeAR wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »

Lol yeah I do. It's working so far. So I'm assuming all y'all have used BCAA before and didn't like it or see a diff?

We're giving you our opinions based on our experience, of which collectively, we have quite a bit. That's what you asked for and that's what you received. Unless you're on some hyper elite level, BCAA supps are not an ideal place to put money.

You would be surprised of how many people love to give advice on something they have never used.
    One doesn't have to use something to give legit advice on it. Lots and lots of chemists will give sound advice on drugs and their side effects but don't use them.
    What's surprising is how many people blindly use supplementation because they "heard" from their friend or read in a magazine that it's beneficial to them without actually researching if it really is. And also that the majority of supplements out there aren't that pure and have lots of contaminants in them that they aren't aware of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I use them intra workout when on a deficit. That being said, I'm pretty lean so any little bit to help prevent muscle loss is worth it to me.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

We're giving you our opinions based on our experience, of which collectively, we have quite a bit. That's what you asked for and that's what you received. Unless you're on some hyper elite level, BCAA supps are not an ideal place to put money.

You would be surprised of how many people love to give advice on something they have never used.
    One doesn't have to use something to give legit advice on it. Lots and lots of chemists will give sound advice on drugs and their side effects but don't use them.
    What's surprising is how many people blindly use supplementation because they "heard" from their friend or read in a magazine that it's beneficial to them without actually researching if it really is. And also that the majority of supplements out there aren't that pure and have lots of contaminants in them that they aren't aware of.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I don't know, I think I really need to go try some coke so I can advise my friends not to.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I also workout in fasted state. Also in a deficit currently.

So from 6 pm and 5.30am workout on empty stomach. I take two things - Beta alanine and 200mg caffeine capsules and then at 8.30 am I take my protein shake with creatine.

That's it -I used to take BCAA but for me I did not notice any difference at all.

Also, there is a user here -he posted his entire weight loss journey with logging and details -he had his carbs up at 60% and protein down to 20% and still suffered negligible muscle loss.

So even very high protein diets don't do very much from his pov
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You can drink a glass of whole make and get all your BCAAs right there. No need to buy the supplement. Protein and BCAAs can be made up for directly from diet, and do not need to be supplemented.
  • soba82
    soba82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

*and I absolutely appreciate your opinion I just was looking for more detail in your response. Yes you have used and found it didn't make a diff or not you haven't because your diet/workout doesn't require it. I am just starting out so I am happy to hear your thoughts.
  • soba82
    soba82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nay - I get adequate protein from my diet.

That's definitely something I struggle with, but I'm working to correct that. :)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I've never used heroin. Does that disqualify me from advising someone not to use it?

Ladies and gentleman we have a winner.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    What is your purpose for taking it? Are you trying to stimulate protein synthesis, reduce muscular catabolism during extended periods of intense exercise, currently on a severe deficit in preparation for a competition? They give you that 1-3% extra, for the average person who's just a gym goer. I say definitely no, but if you're a serious athlete who needs that extra 1-3% then Id say yes. The only time I use them is during a cut, so that I can preserve as much hard earned muscle as possible. Aside from that I won't waste my money on it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nay - I get adequate protein from my diet.

That's definitely something I struggle with, but I'm working to correct that. :)

So get that part right first. Spend the money on protein powder. Or chicken breasts. Or jerky. That's going to account for 90-95% of your improvement and until that's perfect spending money on supplements that might give you the last 3-5% isn't prudent.
  • yungbrah
    yungbrah Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great to use if you're cutting and have especially long workouts, BUT if you don't have a highly disposable income, that money can be used on something more beneficial.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    pkulagin12 wrote: »
    Great to use if you're cutting and have especially long workouts, BUT if you don't have a highly disposable income, that money can be used on something more beneficial.

A nice balanced post. Thanks.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I agree with some that say it can just be a mental thing but if so I don't mind the $15/month for a mental boost! My gym buddy, husband and I tried a BCAA at the same time. All 3 of us like it.
    I don't feel that burn as much as before when I go heavy with lifting and when I sprint on treadmill I can last longer in my fast interval.
    So I guess take it if you feel good. Just make sure you have a supplement that also has beta-alanine in it. If it just has leucine, isoleucine, and valine...then I would switch it.
    I use MRM BCAA reload.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Eric Helms' thoughts on the matter (of course, based off of research and professional coaching)
    http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/supplementation-citadel/