Anyone sugar free?

Options
For the next few weeks (and maybe longer) I am sugar free, including honey, dates, and artificial sweeteners (which I never ate previously). It has been six days so far, and easier than I thought. I am also eating minimal grains/legumes/potatoes, and no white flour or pasta.

Replies

• AmandaJuneFit
    AmandaJuneFit Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits have sugar in them
  • Healthy4me4ever
    Healthy4me4ever Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I went 'sugar free' for lent and have stuck with it since Easter too. By sugar free I mean highly processed foods with sugar added (like cakes, biscuits, etc) not avoiding natural sugar in fresh veg/fruit. I feel much better for it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Darn my chocolate habit.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Have been very low sugar for a couple of months.
  • helenrosec1
    helenrosec1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Have been very low sugar for a couple of months.

I was checking your diary to see how you get a low in sugar diet, which you have, but I notice you're very high in fat, cholesterol and sodium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Meh....whole grains and potatoes and fruit and whatnot are pretty good for you.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope, love my Reese's PB cups, fruit and ice cream to much. I still lost 121 pounds and maintained that weight now for 19 months now and in excellent health per doctor and blood work. :)
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've given up added sugar. I feel so much better in general. More energy and sleeping better. I don't get tired in the afternoons. And I don't crave junk food anymore.
  • diannehunt944
    diannehunt944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar-free. The improvements other than weight loss are many...better skin, hair, nails, less bloating and cravings. I love being sugar-free.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    For the next few weeks (and maybe longer) I am sugar free, including honey, dates, and artificial sweeteners (which I never ate previously). It has been six days so far, and easier than I thought. I am also eating minimal grains/legumes/potatoes, and no white flour or pasta.

Pass them on to me!

I thrive on that stuff! :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    No way, José.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I went 'sugar free' for lent and have stuck with it since Easter too. By sugar free I mean highly processed foods with sugar added (like cakes, biscuits, etc) not avoiding natural sugar in fresh veg/fruit. I feel much better for it.

Oh, so... Not sugar free, then.
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am almost completely sugar free - but I do have artificial sweeteners in my soda. It doesn't impact sugar cravings for me at all - and overall my appetite (or my cravings lol) have diminished significantly since cutting the sugar out
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't try to banish sugar. It's in carrots. Raw carrots.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

Welcome to MFP forums @jenninthesun. I have been both sugar and all types of grains free for 19 months with my total daily carbs <50 grams to reverse some serious health issues. I am now 65 and I think being old made it harder for me but after 2 weeks the craving just faded fast. In 30 days my joint and muscle pain dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 and has remained low and long term health issues keep resolving and not coming back. While many can not do what you are doing they may tell you it is bad for you so stop it. From my personal experience and holding an OD degree (SCO 1986) I can tell you after 100's of hours of research at this point I plan to eat this way for at least the next 55 years to help protect against Alzheimer's, Cancer, Diabetes, Heart disease and many other things that causes premature death in humans.

Is cutting out all sugar a requirement to live to be 110? I do not know. NONE at that age today grew up on processed food so we just do not know.

In the end no one else can tell another how they must eat (at least at this point in time) so try what you like and see how it works for you. No one has died I expect from NOT eating sugar but research indicates and the USDA states we need to eat less to live longer. Who knows for sure?

• __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I am on week two of cutting processed sugars. I still have fruit and honey in moderation, however have quit refined carbs & sugars (including alcohol, wahhh)
    I have to say, I feel like a whole new person. I was experiencing so much physical soreness and general body aches. I felt older than I am and like I was always hungry.
    I started acupuncture treatments and cut the sugar/carbs, and I feel my energy and life force returning. I am no longer stiff or sore, and all crappy food cravings have ceased. I'm super happy!
    Darn my chocolate habit.

I mix coconut oil, raw cacao, honey and vanilla together to make homemade chocolate. Dipped in strawberries, this is DIVINE!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am on week two of cutting processed sugars. I still have fruit and honey in moderation, however have quit refined carbs & sugars (including alcohol, wahhh)
    I have to say, I feel like a whole new person. I was experiencing so much physical soreness and general body aches. I felt older than I am and like I was always hungry.
    I started acupuncture treatments and cut the sugar/carbs, and I feel my energy and life force returning. I am no longer stiff or sore, and all crappy food cravings have ceased. I'm super happy!
    Darn my chocolate habit.

I mix coconut oil, raw cacao, honey and vanilla together to make homemade chocolate. Dipped in strawberries, this is DIVINE!

I am struggling to understand how making chocolate like this is any different from the traditional way - cocoa beans (raw cacao), cocoa butter (coconut oil) sugar (honey), vanilla (vanilla)? What have I missed?

That said melt 76%+ dark chocolate, dip strawberries, leave to cool and harden ..about 20 cals each and yum
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty much sugar free for most of the past year. No sugar, grains, and very limited fruits. I rarely go over 5g of sugar a day, and it is usually closer to, if not, zero. I found I do feel healthier for it, and it helped me lose about 40 lbs too.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. We're mostly sugar free and very low sugar in that group.