Do I just eat less and move more?

Options
Hi guys,

I was here a few years ago and did really well loosing ~1.5 stone. I have slowly regained it and would like advice on the best way to take it back off again.

I know this sounds silly but...do I just eat less and move more? Is there anything more sophisticated I should be doing? Less carbs? More protein? Less sugar?

I feel like a n00b.

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've never paid attention to anything besides my calories. So yeah, eat less and move more. Count your calories and get in a good 30 minutes of some form of exercise everyday (simply walking) and you'll do good. Remember food is 80% of the work. Make sure you track and read labels, measure and weigh everything and you will do fine :) Welcome back! I'm also back, working towards my 120 lbs!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just eat less than what you burn during the day. 'eat less and move more' might not be enough though, if your deficit isn't big enough, you still won't lose anything.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I find the "move more, eat less" advice less than helpful. How much more, and how much less?

Personally I recommend setting up a moderate calorie deficit, exercising as much as you reasonably can, and being patient.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes, it really is that simple. Less calories in, more energy out. You just need to know your calorie expenditure per day at your current weight then subtract at least 250 calories from that to create the deficit. If you become a lot more active, you can add in some of those calories to eat back.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing you need to learn is how to maintain - so make your dieting phase as close to how you intend to maintain when you get to goal as you can. The foods you intend to eat long term and the exercise you enjoy are good start points.

If you want to make it more complex - really not compulsory - then more protein in a deficit is a good idea, strength training is a good thing for muscle retention, cardio is good for health/fitness and allows you to eat more while maintaining your deficit.
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What else is there? Truth is, even the move more part isn't necessary, like the professor who lost weight just eating junk at the convenience store.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    The 'eat less, move more' is the basics of where it's at, but each person is individual so you need to find out how much less to eat and how much more to move, depending on your age, height, weight, activity level, all that good stuff. Finding the foods you like that allow you to remain energetic and not ready to gnaw your foot off all the time is also something you'll need to figure out.

But no, you do not need anything more complicated than that.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Get strong? Get slimmer? That will determine your plan
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    for that matter, you can lose with lower calories without moving more, but moving more helps and helps you feel better, too.
  • doddsar127
    doddsar127 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It isn't just about weight loss. My experience says it's about giving your body the nutrients it needs. If you eat 1000 calories a day and they are from potato chips and french onion dip, your body (if it has good instincts like mine) is going to take over and your will power won,'t have chance. Use fitness pal. Watch your nutrient pie chart. Try for balance... Women should target 30-33% fat and no more. Try to divide the rest of your calories between carbs and proteins... Mostly proteins but be wary if you lose weight too fast... Ketosis may speed weight loss but it produces gobs of nasty breakdown byproducts that make a person very cranky. WARN your family! Take a supplement until you get the nutrients right. Get your doctor involved and run every bit of advice from anyone here including me past her before doing anything differen from what you already are doing.. Doctors are your expert consultants.... Use them!
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    First, you need to make a lifetime commitment to eating sensibly and exercising (forever). You need to keep doing what you did to lose weight -- you don't get to stop once you've reached your goals. You can then go into maintenance mode, such that calories in = calories out, but you must keeping moving. Forever.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    doddsar127 wrote: »
    It isn't just about weight loss. My experience says it's about giving your body the nutrients it needs. If you eat 1000 calories a day and they are from potato chips and french onion dip, your body (if it has good instincts like mine) is going to take over and your will power won,'t have chance. Use fitness pal. Watch your nutrient pie chart. Try for balance... Women should target 30-33% fat and no more. Try to divide the rest of your calories between carbs and proteins... Mostly proteins but be wary if you lose weight too fast... Ketosis may speed weight loss but it produces gobs of nasty breakdown byproducts that make a person very cranky. WARN your family! Take a supplement until you get the nutrients right. Get your doctor involved and run every bit of advice from anyone here including me past her before doing anything differen from what you already are doing.. Doctors are your expert consultants.... Use them!

Wut