At a stand still

Options
Have been eating healthier for just over a month, and in the first 3 weeks i have lost 16lbs. This past week (since sunday) i havent lost anything. Is this to be expected or? I am feeling a little discouraged. I started walking more and so this may or may not be a Coincedence. My water intake is around 70 floz a day. I eat a good amount of leafy greens, and try not to eat "junky food". I dont add sugar to anything, or salt actually either. Thanks for anything, really.

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I am feeling a little discouraged.

You can't be. This will happen more than once. If you don't lose anything in a month and more - then get concerned.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Not having any loss can be a downer, I've been giving my scale the middle finger the past 4 days for no loss. It happens. You may have several weeks with no loss, and some with big numbers. Weight loss is not linear and overall it takes time. Just make sure that your food logging is on track, and that you're hitting your calories (or under).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint. Log your food, keep exercising, do everything you need and the scale will move. I know it's really hard not to obsess on the scale, but it's good to keep your eye on the long term goals. Weight loss will stall, then you'll lose with a vengeance again. Sometimes it's as simple as some water weight during your time of month. Keep moving forward.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as 1 week with no loss...think of it that you lost 4 lbs a week over the last 4 weeks. That's a pretty high rate of loss. My body does this sometimes, if I lose quickly it will seem to slow down to compensate after a quick loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Patience is definitely the answer. One (of several) possibilities is that you're holding onto a bit of water weight, and it's masking fat loss. (Lots of reason that could happen: Extra sodium or carbs compared to your usual (even if still a healthy level of either/both), time of month (women report water weight any time from ovulation through menstrual period), new workout or more intensity requiring more muscle repair, and more.)

The scale will be up, down, or stalled sometimes, even as weight loss continues. As someone above said, it takes 3 weeks to a month minimum to know whether you're in a plateau.

One suggestion, if you're not doing this already: Take tape-measurements periodically (maybe every couple of weeks or month?). Sometimes the inches will decrease before the weight, sometimes vice-versa, so it's good to have both. Periodic progress pics, just for you - maybe every month or two? - can also be helpful
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh and chart daily. I highlight each "new low" which sometimes are 2 weeks apart. After a week, I re-focus, be extra careful measuring portions. After 10 days I start cutting out the hard to know items like cole slaw that can vary widely place to place. The math works unless your doctor can give a hard reason why not.