tummy doesn't listen

Options
Hey hi. I think i can be considered a skinny-fat guy, a little beer gut, little man boobs lol, but slim all over. Ht= 5'11 Wt= 181. I had been working with a trainer for almost a month now. Weights 3x a week, cardio 2-3x a week, and still, i don't see any changes in my tummy. My friends told me my tummy is getting smaller but when i look in the mirror, it's still the same. I'm becoming very impatient, pls help me.

Replies

• StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Have you been taking any pictures? I find they are very helpful in seeing the difference. Also, how do your clothes fit?
  • gscan08
    gscan08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    Have you been taking any pictures? I find they are very helpful in seeing the difference. Also, how do your clothes fit?

Yup, i have been taking pictures, i dont see much difference, but my clothes fit better. I was able to wear a couple of shirts that do not fit before. But in my pics, in the mirror, i still see my beer gut. :(
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Measurements...more time...

Going to be challenging to lose fat / gain muscle at the same time. Are you eating at a calorie deficit or surplus? Many folks find it helpful to bulk / cut for this reason. Dedicate some amount of time to eating at a deficit in order to lose fat, then dedicate some time to eating at a bulk while lifting in order to gain muscle. It's challenging to do both simultaneously, and will take a lot longer to attempt both at once. Check out Lyle Macdonald's Body Recomposition site or advice on bodybuilding.com. Even if you aren't trying to get "bulky" the tools are still the same.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's going to take some time, be patient. The fact that you're noticing a difference in how your shirts fit is a step in the right direction. It's tough for us to see the changes because we look at ourselves every day and zero in on the parts we want to change.
  • gscan08
    Options

Going to be challenging to lose fat / gain muscle at the same time. Are you eating at a calorie deficit or surplus? Many folks find it helpful to bulk / cut for this reason. Dedicate some amount of time to eating at a deficit in order to lose fat, then dedicate some time to eating at a bulk while lifting in order to gain muscle. It's challenging to do both simultaneously, and will take a lot longer to attempt both at once. Check out Lyle Macdonald's Body Recomposition site or advice on bodybuilding.com. Even if you aren't trying to get "bulky" the tools are still the same.

My trainer's suggestion is 1500cal/day. With 80g carbs and 180g protein. Sometimes though, I think i undereat. But the protein, i try really hard to reach the goal for the day.
  • gscan08
    Options
    Thanks a lot! It'll be my 1st month on the 16th. I hope o would be able to see changes soon.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options

^^^ this
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The only way to rid yourself of the fat in the midsection is to drop your overall body fat. Trust me, I've been abusing my abs with sit-ups, crunches, ab lifts, anything I can think of for months now and I can even feel the six pack underneath the thin layer of extra skin and fat. I'm at 15% body fat right now (maybe a bit less) and probably will have to drop below 8-10% to get rid of most of it. It's the first place men gain weight usually, and it is without a doubt the last place we'll lose it. You may even need to be in maintenance for a while before your body will start to recomp its shape. With clothes on now my profile is near perfect, with a shirt off though I still see the extra skin and fat. Some of it will never go away, but it'll improve.

Your best bet is work on your ab muscles and keep the protein levels up high enough and continue to lose body fat. Eventually it'll look better but may never be perfect.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36 pounds and don't feel smaller unless I put on the jeans I used to wear when I was 36 pounds heavier. Our brains don't register gradual changes well.
  • SpeedGibson
    SpeedGibson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can't direct where the fat loss happens. If the weight is going down, you'll get there.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP - even though you feel a bit down on your progress your clothes can't be lying to you, so try challenging these negatives, use the pic ideas and the measuring tape and wait it out

....also fat seems to have a very weird sense of humour as it is last to leave the place you want most gone. ;)