Diverticulitis

Options
Hi there,

Does anyone here have experience with the disorder? In simple terms, it is an inflammation or infection in one or more small pouches in the digestive tract. It is also a chronic disease. I was diagnosed with it last Friday after horrible abdominal pain and a CAT scan. I was put on Flagyl and Cipro antibiotics, x3 a day, which I have another week of, at least.

Well ever since then I've felt horrible. I feel miserable, restless and tired, so very drained. Yesterday, by the end of the day, I had lost all energy and could barely leave my bed to say goodnight to my kids. I gained some weight at first which I believe was the extra IV fluids and lost it and a bit more. At first, I had no appetite, but now I'm at my usual level of hunger.

It's just hard to be on a diet when I'm feeling like so much crap. I'm more or less where I want to be regarding weight. I wouldn't mind losing another lb or 2 so that I have a 'safety net'. I don't know about now, though, as I still walk every day and yesterday I ran, but more than that is just out of the question. I still feel queasy, and it's hard not to eat to calm that down.

I'm just wondering how anyone manages this long term? I really hope this miserable feeling I have is just the result of the strong antibiotics and not my new 'normal.'

Any advice is appreciated, thank you. I did put a call into my doctor, but I have yet to hear back.

Replies

• RoteBook
    RoteBook Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I had a bout of diverticulitis about 2 years ago. It was probably the worst 3 weeks of my life, but I'm not sure because I don't remember more than a few days of it. I do remember that while I was on the antibiotics I started to feel better right away, but I had to keep my fiber very low until my intestines healed. If I ate too much fiber too soon, I immediately felt ill again.

I've been able to bring my fiber back up to normal levels and as long as I keep it consistent I haven't had any problems.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Ugh! I, too, have diverticulitis attacks. The trick is figuring out what foods might trigger it, usually it's fatty foods, or certain proteins. Sometimes, just overeating. For me, salmon is an absolute trigger. Salmon for dinner, diverticulitis attack by noon the next day. Which sucks, cuz I love salmon. They used to tell you to avoid seeds and nuts as they could aggravate the intestines, but I think that's changed. I still wouldn't eat them during an attack.

I don't know if they told you in the ER, but for the first day of an attack, and sometimes the second day as well, the second you feel symptoms coming on, you should go to a clear liquid diet- Broth, water, gelatin- nothing that your intestines have to try to digest. Don't worry about dieting, because it's pretty hard to gain weight on liquids.
    Usually, the antibiotics can clear up the infection in a couple days (make sure you take them until they're gone!) Once the infection is cleared up, you'll feel your energy coming back.

Write down everything that you ate for the 24 hours before your attack, and see if you can figure out what triggered it. Sometimes, it's a combination of foods, so it can be tricky. Now that I know what my triggers are and how to recognize an attack coming on, it barely affects my life at all. I avoid salmon and foods fried in soybean oil, and the second I feel that first twinge of pain, I drink a glass of water and go to clear liquid diet, and it usually subsides within 24 hours. If it doesn't, and I start running a fever, I call my doctor for a run of antibiotics, but that's only happened once in four years since my diagnosis. I know the attacks can come on really suddenly, and how really scary it can be, but it won't be this bad forever. You'll get a handle on what causes the attacks for you and how to mitigate them. :)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I've never had it, but I bet a huge part of feeling so poorly is the antibiotics. They kill all the good guys too!! No wonder you feel awful. I suggest drinking Kefir each day if you like yogurt. Incredibly fast acting probiotics.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I had a bad attack of diverticulitis at the end of February. Make sure to get rest and eat very LOW fiber for the first few weeks. I had introduced walnuts and raisins to my diet, had a bag of popcorn, a few alcoholic beverages, and was upping my fiber just before the attack. I had to eat mostly white bread with tuna, or turkey sandwiches, mashed potatoes, and practically no fruits or veggies while recovering. I started on a multivitamin to make sure I was getting the nutrients I needed. I could only eat fruits with pits, not seeds. The antibiotics made me very cold but I got over it. Salmon didn't affect me at all and I still love it to this day so different things obviously affect different people. If I hadn't been logging I'd probably still be wondering what triggered it. It sounds crazy to most people but a lot of low fiber foods are low in calories and can be beneficial to those of us with intestinal/digestive issues. I don't eat perfectly by any means but feel free to friend me if you want to check my food diary.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not an answer: But after you finish your antibiotics consider taking a pro-biotic.
    Antibiotics kill all bacteria. The good and the bad. You want the good bacteria back.
    My brother has lived with this for years. He has to follow that diet, or else it all comes back.
    He likes fast food which is killing him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have not had that. I have a different (very challenging) GI disorder caused by being wrongly prescribed meds. I agree with the others about keeping up with the probiotics and fermented foods like kefir and sauerkraut. Those are powerful antibiotics. But, you can recover from it once you finish the course. Hang in there. These things are so difficult. ♥
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am just now 2 weeks off my first attack & it was horrendous. I am just now getting my digestive system back in order and frankly am somewhat afraid to eat.

I did the broth, gelatin, cream soups, I even resorted to baby food to get some nutrition in, lol. Definitely easing from liquids into foods slowly while intestines healed was the right thing to do.

I'm tolerating chicken and well cooked vegetables as well as ham sandwiches (on light wheat bread) so those are my go-to lunches and dinners. I actually had a chicken salad today for lunch (yay!). Greek yogurt with protein powder sits very well with me for breakfast - I added dark cherries this morning and so far no issues. Beef is hard to digest and oatmeal & cream of wheat is too rough at this time. Like *really* rough, haha. I don't know what I was thinking with the oatmeal, egads that was stupid.

My doctor said to chew chew chew my bites of food until pretty much liquified.

My energy has really gotten better in just the past few days probably because healing is almost complete and I'm able to get in some nourishment. I feel good enough that I think I can ease back into strength training.

Good luck to you!! I'll be following this thread with interest for what others say, I'll be learning right along with you.

Edited to add: thank you all for the reminder of the probiotics!!
  • CaptainJoy
    Options
    Check with your doctor before starting probiotics. They can be good and bad. "It has been shown that the use of various probiotics for immunocompromised patients or patients with a leaky gut has resulted in infections and sepsis (infection of the bloodstream). One case of bacteremia (bacteria in the bloodstream) was recently found when someone with active severe inflammatory bowel diseases with mucosal disruption was given Lactobacillus GG. Always speak with a doctor before taking any supplement under these circumstances."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/mobileart.asp?articlekey=83173&page=13
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @Erfw7471 If you have the money, consider a vitamix to make green drinks.
    This stuff seems to come back.
    I think costco has them on sale for $350 or so. I think Sam's club also carries them.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @Erfw7471 If you have the money, consider a vitamix to make green drinks.
    This stuff seems to come back.
    I think costco has them on sale for $350 or so. I think Sam's club also carries them.

I actually have one, and that's a great suggestion about the drinks-thank you!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your pain. I don't have diverticulitis but I have Crohn's disease so I understand GI distress. I'm definitely low fiber and have lots of other food restrictions.
  • CaptainJoy
    Options
    @JanetYellen Great suggestion on the vitamix. Thank you!
  • mnash28
    mnash28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had several bouts of diverticulitis and had a colon resection over five years ago. Even if you recover from the itis, you may develop Irritable Bowel syndrome or IBS as a result of the infection. The symptoms are somewhat similar and your doctor or ER may fail to diagnose the IBS and you'll be getting unnecessary antibiotics. So make sure you are proactive with your doctor and know your body.
    There are no particular foods that trigger an itis attack.The infection is literally the result of stool that takes a wrong turn in your colon and gets caught in a pocket in your colon (diverticulosis) and festers. I eat everything from popcorn (hey fiber!) to figs to nuts and seeds. Everything. All without a problem. Eat fiber and you'll feel much better
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My husband had many bouts of diverticulitis and chose to basically ignore the symptoms one time too many. Last September he ran a fever for a week and kept hoping the pain would go away. By the time he decided to go to the doctor he was critical. He had a perforation in this colon and was hours away from death. He had 11cm of his colon removed during what was a very risky surgery due to sepsis. He spent 12 days in ICU, then 3 more days in the hospital and came home 30 pounds lighter with a colostomy bag. It was a lengthy recovery. In March he had additional surgery to reverse his colostomy and everything seems to be working fine. All this being said, always talk to your doctor if you have flare ups, don't try to self-medicate or make it go away with diet. Once you have the pain you have infection. Ask your doctor about what type of diet to follow to help prevent further problems. I don't recall that he ever felt bad from the Flagyl & Cipro, but just having the diverticulitis would drain him for a couple weeks. As far as your diet and exercise, I wouldn't push it too hard, you need to let your body heal. Good luck to you and I hope you can put this behind you.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    @Squirrel698
    ["An infection that targets your digestive system, diverticulitis occurs when the diverticula (small protruding pouches that form on the lower part of your colon), become inflamed. While this condition is not life-threatening, it can cause a tremendous amount of pain to those who suffer from it. The forming pockets of diverticula mostly appear in individuals over the age of 40, and the risk of diverticulitis increases for those who smoke, suffer from obesity, lack proper dietary fiber, and who don’t partake in a regular exercise routine."

Yes, I have it too but the condition doesn't turn into a full blown diverticulitis very often. The last time was about 4 years ago and I couldn't even walk due to the pain. Flagyl and a special diet helped a lot but it took few days until I was back to normal.

The interesting thing is that I don't fit the profile of a person at risk. I am not overweight and I have never been; I never smoked, I eat good fiber, vegetables and fruits and I exercise 5 times a week, and I was always very active. So go figure.

I have to limit at lot the intake of nuts, popcorn, some cereals (like Kashi Go Lean), whole grain breads with seeds, sunflower seeds, and I limit my daily fiber intake to about 25 grams per day. More than that once in awhile, no problem, but if I overdo my fiber for several days, then I am in big trouble. I do take daily probiotic as recommended by the doctor and plain greek yogurt daily and I stay away from granola and granola bars with dry fruits, seeds and nuts.

What also helped me to reduce the pain when I had the latest attack (I didn't need to go to the hospital), was a heating pad in my belly for 15 or 20 minutes at the time. That, and Tylenol for the pain were very helpful until Flagyl started to work.

I feel for you OP and all of you suffering for diverticulitis. It is not fun!

• CaptainJoy
    Options
    @Squirrel698 Whether it's dietary or just a wrong turn in your intestines, is it possible that you fell, an animal or child jumped on you while you were resting, or something hit you in your side? Prior to my attack I was trampled while sleeping on the couch by our dog. This may have caused the food to make a wrong turn. You might not have to worry about dietary concerns unless they trigger another attack. Just an observation when I think back to that day...
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    What always scares me is how suddenly it can come on. I can feel fine, and then bam, suddenly I'm in pain. It's really terrifying. (Oh, and corn is another common trigger! I don't have a problem with it, but I know several other sufferers who do.)