Recalculate caloric intake goals after loss?

Options
Newbie question: I have recently lost 13 pounds. My BMR has now changed. If I wanted to maintain the momentum, do I continue on this 1,200 calorie a day goal? Many say it's not ideal to eat less than this per day, and I tend to agree. I am 44 years old, female, 5 foot 5 inches. Start weight: 160 lbs. Current weight: 147 lbs. Original goal weight: 145 lbs. New goal weight: 135 lbs. Fairly active; in gym 5 days a week (75% of routine is cardio, 25% lifting on the low end of the weight scale for high reps as opposed to high weight/low reps). Apologies in advance if this topic has been covered 1,000 x before.

Replies

• jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you had your goal to lose 1lb/day. Change your goal to lose .5lb/day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You could change your goals to 1/2 pound a week to ensure that you eat enough protein as well as variety in your diet.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I would not decrease your calorie intake. You should never eat less than 1200 cal/day. In fact, it would probably be good to start working your calories up slowly. I'd bump to 1250 for a week, then 1300 for the next week, and so on. You might be surprised that you can eat more and keep making progress. This is a good thing to do as you get closer to your goal.
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm quite similar to you 5ft6 female
    SW &new year 174 GW 136 CW 139
    Only thing I didn't do like you is the gym.
    I was set 1200 and generally ate between that and 1360 (never less than 1200) ate at least half exercise cals back on top and was losing 2lb a week on average, it has slowed down since I hit 145 to 1lb a week, think my logging got a bit loose and I started strength training 10 days ago but working on tightening logging up to get these last 3lbs off.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • fabulousmo
    fabulousmo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone!