B12 deficiency and lactose intolerance! lots of fun!

Options
Hello all,

Well I've just found out im B12 low and I'm getting checked out for why at the moment. My diet has lots in it so looking into causes at the moment.

Also just discovered I'm lactose intolerant so changing up my diet a lot right now!

Its a bit of a change but my digestive health is improving so much its amazing.

Any suggestions or advice from folk dealing with these would be fab. Especially any tips for naughty snacks and treats as veg sticks and dry stuff really dont do it for me!!

Thanks!

Betty

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Take a look at this site which can explain reasons for b12 deficiency.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/guide/vitamin-b12-deficiency-symptoms-causes
    I suspect you are not a vegan, or you would have stated so.
    I wonder if you take a daily women's multivitamin.
    Reasons could be
    - thin stomach linning
    - trouble of intestines absorbing this
    - weight loss surgery side effects
    - heavy drinking
    - chron's or celtiacs
    - immune system disorder
    - long term acid reducing pills
    I opened my diary to the public and asked for help. And I got it. Amazing people here.
  • xpanda70
    xpanda70 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You get B12 from animal products, or from products fortified with B12. Vegans are typically deficient, eventually (it take a while to deplete the stores). I am one of them and so I supplement with a B12 daily. I get my blood checked every six months and my B12 levels are fine on the supplements. (I also take iron, D3 and calcium).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Dates with coconut are nice snacks.
    The MyFitnessPal Recipe Blogs has recipes for snacks. Also for desserts if you are looking for something sweet.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/desserts/
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i get shots at my dr
  • coalz
    coalz Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This day & age you can still have milks & cheeses, yogurts & ice creams all dairy free!
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I had a B12 deficiency years ago that was caused from reflux meds. My primary care doc referred me to a hemotologist who was able to identify the cause. I changed my diet (dairy and grains were found to be my reflux triggers) and no more reflux meds needed and B12 levels normalized. Good luck to you.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    31ghr8qae78h.jpeg

Kraft mozz & a few others are lactose free.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I was B12 deficient as well--I've had WLS. I take daily supplements of 5000 mcg & it's back to normal. I have my blood checked every 3 months.
  • BettyBaliol
    BettyBaliol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, much appreciated. I think I will probably have to get the shots - seems to be where my Dr is leading me. Its hard to find anything that's not upsetting my stomach at the moment! Still I figure maybe this will help me shift a few pounds while they work it out!
  • BettyBaliol
    BettyBaliol Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Dates with coconut are nice snacks.
    The MyFitnessPal Recipe Blogs has recipes for snacks. Also for desserts if you are looking for something sweet.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/category/eat/recipes/desserts/

Ohh that sounds amazing I'll give that a look!
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am vegan, take a supplement & have never been deficient. Husband eats meat like crazy & was deficient. He now takes a supplement & is OK. I think I read that some people don't absorb b12 well from food & do need a supplement. You may be one of those folks--but the supplements work & it's an easy fix.