14 stone and looking for answers

Options
So the last 8 weeks of my diet have hit me hard and im losing motivation. I currently have my profile set to lightly active with a lose of 2lb a week eating 1610 calories a day. I go to the gym 3 times a week. My problem is this, lately my weight lose has slowed down to a stop and for every 1lb i lose I gain 2 back over the week. I have lost 50lb so far and I cant make it past the 200lb mark.

I need to change something but I dont know what that is- so Im looking for guidance from people in the same weight bracket. I currently have 1610 calories a day but I am constantly hungry, I eat a good 500 calorie meal and 3 hours later I am starving again and instead of (how do i put this) having a bowel movement everyday I now go every 3 days!!!

My body is telling me something and I just need to figure out what it is!!!!

Replies

• AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you're only going every 3 days I think you need soemthing to help your digestive system. Have you tried Activia? Or Acai Berry pills? The Acai berry pills make you go quite a bit. The weight you're gaining is probably just stuff backed up in your system.
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe you aren't eating enough fiber and protein with your meals?
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Would you be willing to open up your food diary? Sounds like you're not getting enough fibre, but a good look at what you eat would help us help you. For a meal to keep me full, I need a combination of protein, carbs and fat.
  • Marzijapan
    Options
    Are you eating plenty of fruit and vegetables? I use these foods to fill up on, and diet drinks help me too :-)
    Congratulations on what you have achieved so far, you've done an excellent job, bear with it ........ All the best
    Alison
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    What makes your lifestyle lightly active?

Do you log exercise ?

A lot of people say their lifestyle is lightly active thinking this means that they workout AND log their exercise which means effectively they are logging it twice. Lightly active would mean a physical job, something that keeps you moving all day. For example mine is set to sedentary because I work on a computer sat down, and I look after my child & home but neither gets my heart rate going. I log my exercise separately and account for those calories accurately with a HRM.

If you aren't going to the toilet there is probably not enough fiber in your diet which most people get from wholemeal food and veggies.
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Adding fiber is a great way to "get things moving" but only if you drink your water.Try to aim for 8 glasses of liquid a day. Caffeine is a diuretic which means it pulls water out of your body so try to limit it. Since you've already lost 50 pounds i'd guess you are exercising but exercises can help as well.
  • dovenotes
    dovenotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try adding some fiber powder to your drinks/ or smoothies. It swells/bulks out your drinks/foods, and is one of my favorite food tools.
    I use Psyllium Seed Whole Husks fiber powder. It keeps my hunger at bay, and is a colon cleanser as well. This will help with regular bowel movements.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You might try eating smaller meals more frequently! I break up my 1500 calories a day into 6 small meals about every 2 hours. I make sure that non of those meals are carbs only! I always make sure I have protein with every meal and I watch my fiber intake to make sure I am getting enough fiber! Changing up your workout routine can also help you change! Either exercise longer or at a higher intensity! You got to keep your body guessing so that it doesn't get used to what you are doing.
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My fibre was 8 points over for yesterday so getting plenty of it. Has my metabalism stopped whic is why I always hungry or is it in over drive? 8 weeks ago I was never hungry and now I'm hungry all the time???

Has anyone had success in increasing calories to lose weight?

Thanks
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You have hit your personal plateau. Most people will hit it, and maybe more then once, in their lifestyle change. I'm not sure what your eating a day. As I'm sure you know, what you eat matters. Also I'm not sure how tall you are. Men shouldn't eat under 1500-1600 calories a day. You sound really close to that. Without knowing more, I would say it would be ok to eat more fruits and veggies, and less starches and breads.

This article may help:
    http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/Amy-Campbell/the-dreaded-weight-plateau-tips-to-get-over-it/
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    R U willing to open up your food diary? There may be some areas there that you could work on, and you can get some advice on your nutrition from some great MFP weight loss stars. :)

I've had some luck zig-zagging my calories - up or down 200 cal / day, to get off of a plateau. Also, are you switching up your exercise routine - do you do the same cardio / strength training routines every time you go - mix it up, add some HIIT training, or new cardio if possible.

There will always be some times when your starving - need to find ways to get past it or distract yourself without indulging in extra calories. I've learned to LOVE apples - always grab one if I have to have something to eat, and it always satisfies me.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    You likely have your loss per week goal too high for where you are now. Should help to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't have dairy for a week or two. I guarantee you'll see some kind of change. Dairy is a dieter's worst nightmare. It's in cakes, cream, cheese which are all very fatty.
  • dovenotes
    dovenotes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Are you eating high glycemic index foods? Alot of diet food is high glycemic index. Artificial sweeteners for one. I dont know if you use sugar substitutes, but I use stevia because it is low glycemic. Maybe reduce the fruits and drink fresh vegetable juices instead from a juicer should help. Not getting enough sleep also puts our bodies out of whack and the leptin hormone which tells our bodies when we need to eat is out of alignment. Are you insulin resistant? Maybe ask your doctor to check if there are any health issues which underlie any food cravings. There are juicing remedies you can do to help eliminate these if this is an issue.