Unintentionally Undereating (Calories)

Options
Each day on MFP I religiously log my breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, water intake, and exercise. I eat until I am comfortably full, and trust me I can eat haha; however, I am under the recommended calorie intake by 500-700 calories. I know that's not healthy, as it can stunt my metabolism and energy levels, but I'm not sure how to up my calorie intake in a healthy way. I eat snacks all throughout the day, mostly in between meals.

Do I need to slow down on the snacks so that I feel more hungry and have an "urge" to consume more during mealtime?

**I exercise 3-4 times a week, moderately, for an hour. My macros are C50 F20 P30. I never consume more than the recommended sugar and salt amounts. I try to drink at least 1/2 a gallon of water a day.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to measure everything you eat (and I mean EVERTHING)? If not, you may actually be underestimating how much you are eating.

• its_ems
    its_ems Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    No I'm not! Actually that's a great idea. For most of my foods I scan the Barcode on the food and insert how many servings I am eating. Thanks for the tip.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I would certainly get a food scale and start weighing everything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpHykP6e_Uk

Video shows the difference between weighing servings and measuring cups/spoons. Chances are, you aren't actually eating the 500-700 calories you think you are, but rather much more.

Even weigh "single serve" packages. The weights can be off and really have 1.2 servings instead of 1. Although that doesn't seem like much, it can add up through out the day.
  • its_ems
    Options
    Yeah it can definitely add up, I completely agree. Considering I'm trying to lose fat it's important that I stay under or at my 20%. I've cut my sugar back tenfold than what I am used to consuming. I just don't want to end up gaining weight because I'm undereating haha. I'll follow up as soon as I get a scale.
  • Crackers137
    Crackers137 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    #its_ems - Hi - what do you mean you scan the barcodes...??? Sounds brilliant but I don't understand how that works - sorry to be dense but could you explain please?

its_ems wrote: »
    No I'm not! Actually that's a great idea. For most of my foods I scan the Barcode on the food and insert how many servings I am eating. Thanks for the tip.

• elphie754
    Options
    Yeah it can definitely add up, I completely agree. Considering I'm trying to lose fat it's important that I stay under or at my 20%. I've cut my sugar back tenfold than what I am used to consuming. I just don't want to end up gaining weight because I'm undereating haha. I'll follow up as soon as I get a scale.

You won't gain weight because of under eating, it doesn't work like that. There are numerous reasons not to under eat (like not getting the important nutrients you need), but gaining weight isn't one of them. Starvation mode doesn't exist the way people think it does. Ever see pictures from an area where people were literally starving? They are literally skin and bones.

Unless you have a medical condition, cutting back on sugar alone won't make you lose weight. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless of sugar consumption.
  • its_ems
    Options
    Haha no worries! There is thing-a-ma-bob at the top right hand corner of the app when you go to search for a food, it looks like a Barcode. You can click it and use it to scan a product. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the product, but the majority of the time it works and the nutritional information is accurate! (I have an android so I'm no sure if it is in the same spot on iPhone)
  • its_ems
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You won't gain weight because of under eating, it doesn't work like that. There are numerous reasons not to under eat (like not getting the important nutrients you need), but gaining weight isn't one of them. Starvation mode doesn't exist the way people think it does. Ever see pictures from an area where people were literally starving? They are literally skin and bones.

Unless you have a medical condition, cutting back on sugar alone won't make you lose weight. As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight regardless of sugar consumption.

I'm not cutting back on sugar for weightloss, I'm cutting back on sugar because I was consuming an unhealthy amount lol. And I do realize if I am consistently undereating I will obviously lose weight! I'm just starting out again, which is why I was curious about the seemingly low calorie intake. I really appreciate your feedback! :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Haha no worries! There is thing-a-ma-bob at the top right hand corner of the app when you go to search for a food, it looks like a Barcode. You can click it and use it to scan a product. Sometimes it doesn't recognize the product, but the majority of the time it works and the nutritional information is accurate! (I have an android so I'm no sure if it is in the same spot on iPhone)
    Always double-check that the nutrition info obtained with the scanner matches what is on the box.

Whoever entered that info into the MFP database might have made a mistake or the region where they live might have different nutritional info for that item.
  • its_ems
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Always double-check that the nutrition info obtained with the scanner matches what is on the box.

Whoever entered that info into the MFP database might have made a mistake or their region where they live might have different nutritional info for that item.

No worries. I always check to make sure the information is accurate. :)